Tim TomCross Country Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim TomCross Country Adventure

So I've planned for this road trip with my brother for about a year, and the leave date of July 1st is fast approaching!

While we originally planned on heading to Alaska, the reality of time constrains (along with lots of advice from the folks here) changed our minds. Instead we have shortened it to California and back. A rough estimate of 8000 miles. We have taken off from work the entire month of July for this trip.

I will be bringing a small laptop and camera (of course) and so with any luck fill this thread with excellent tales of adventure and pictures.

In the event of a breakdown however, I am bringing all the tools I'd need to rebuild the bike on the side of the road, and I expect to flood the forum with lots of urgent questions .
    Here's hoping not to be stuck in the middle of Kansas with a broken bike .

Anyways, please wish me luck as I leave for the trip I've dreamed of for years. I will update this thread if I can with my whereabouts during the ride. If any of you are so inclined to send prayers my way that is perfectly fine with me.
    If anyone here feels the need to contact me, feel free to send a PM or email at TMcSparron@gmail.com. I'll be checking both when I can throughout the trip.

Thank you so much GSR for helping me turn my dream trip into a reality. Could've never done it without all the advice from you all!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM.

Well, if you do decide to break down, make sure you're not too far from someone here on the forum.

Have fun, and post some pics!
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Have fun,be safe,post updates along the way.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

E-mail sent!

Eric

Comment

subscribed! look forward to seeing the photos. don't lose your oil filler cap. bring duct tape. turn off your light when the bike isn't runnng

see you tonight for carb synching!

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
            subscribed! look forward to seeing the photos. don't lose your oil filler cap. bring duct tape. turn off your light when the bike isn't runnng

see you tonight for carb synching!

Yes. Yes and Yes on all counts. Also bringing jumper cables . Despite having fixed the issue with a new strong battery, better safe than sorry.

Valve adjustment just finished without a hitch, swapped 3 shims . Ready for the sync!

Eric, email responded too. Thanks.

PS. loaded down bike pics to come on Sunday or so....
            Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to the story of your travels Tim! Hope you have a fun and safe journey and definitely looking forward to pic's
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Tim Tom,

4 week, 8000 mile, bike trip, with your brother. Sounds great.

Can you make any statement of your route, or places along the way you are intending to go to?

What bike your brother taking?

Dave

>>>> later note.

I see elsewhere about you intending to attend the RRR.
                That will be good for you to do that.

Last edited by Redman; 06-29-2012, 01:53 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Journey onward. Looking forward to the pics and stories. Love this time of year on here, lots of road trips to read about. Remember to log onto the GSR google earth project in case you have a repair needed, lots of people are super helpful and friendly. Have a great trip!
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Can you make any statement of your route, or places along the way you are intending to go to?
                    Can I talk you into heading down I-81 about 30 miles across the TN line?
                    If so, I'll show or direct you to what could be some of the nicest roads you'll enjoy this side of the Mississippi. Drive down 81 a little further and you could hop on I-40 West. Definitely worth thinking about.
                    Either way, good luck and have a great adventure!
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Dave,

Our route is roughly planned, but not set into stone. We have several friends and family members across the country, and so are planning on seeing them along the way. We are starting by heading west to my Aunt's house in Johnstown PA. Next 'destination' is a friend who lives in Denver. After that we plan to head north to Lake Tahoe, then a bit further North-West to the Sequoia National Forest at the top of California. The plan is to ride the coast line down till just above LA, then head back east. On the way east we will be attending the RRR!

Essentially we're taking a northerly route there, and a southerly route on the way home.

My brother will be riding his new 2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm. Its a big motor, 1700cc's of power in a parallel twin ! He has also made some custom long range modifications for his bike that I'm sure I'll share with you all

Willie,
                      We will be passing through TN on our way to the Red River Rally in Kentucky!

Comment

I'll be reading your posts on here. If you get close enough to my part of TN, I'd like to meet up with you guys. We'll just have to see how things go.
                        Willie
                        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Ready to Roll!

Our bikes are all loaded up and eagerly awaiting morning for the trip to begin! First stop will be aunts house in Evansburg PA. Will be taking the scenic route there through Gettysburg and over the mountains. I`ll take some pictures for sure, but no clue when I will be able to post them... Probably not until the trip is over, or if we get some down time at our stops. Anyways I`m super excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                            Dave,

Our route is roughly planned, but not set into stone. We have several friends and family members across the country, and so are planning on seeing them along the way. We are starting by heading west to my Aunt's house in Johnstown PA. Next 'destination' is a friend who lives in Denver. After that we plan to head north to Lake Tahoe, then a bit further North-West to the Sequoia National Forest at the top of California. The plan is to ride the coast line down till just above LA, then head back east. On the way east we will be attending the RRR!

Essentially we're taking a northerly route there, and a southerly route on the way home.

My brother will be riding his new 2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm. Its a big motor, 1700cc's of power in a parallel twin ! He has also made some custom long range modifications for his bike that I'm sure I'll share with you all

Willie,
                            We will be passing through TN on our way to the Red River Rally in Kentucky!
                            I hope you have a GPS because it seems you have your map a bit disoriented . Have fun, be safe and if you do find Sequoia Nat Park in the top of Northern California give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer. I'll buy you a beer regardless of Sequoia.

Charlie G
                            Last edited by Charlie G; 07-02-2012, 01:26 AM.
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I'll be lintening for your guitar…

Have BIG monkey's butt of a good time Bro!
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X