Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    Update, update, update...

They have successfully made it to Fallon, NV. and should make it here in 90-100 minutes.
    They sound like they are in good spirits and ready for some food and showers.

Eric
    That's really good news, be good for them to take a break from riding, get the bike fixed and chow down.
    I drove cross country once in late June '79, my clothes were just covered with bugs, sweat and road grime, and the one thing I wanted most was a shave and shower.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
      late June '79, my clothes were just covered with bugs, sweat and road grime, and the one thing I wanted most was a shave and shower.
      That's right where I want to be, sounds like a dream to me.
      Less than two weeks until my road trip!

Tank

Comment

We Made It

We are at Eric's house now and just finished a great dinner. A shower is up next for sure. It was a hard ride to get here from Utah when we left this morning, did a total of 670 miles today, longest day yet.

Pete I had thought of that for a Bike IV set up, but I was able to manage with just keeping a close eye on it and adding oil when needed.

Having a blast so far with this trip, covered about 2700 miles thus far. Cant wait to get the bike fixed up tomorrow and continue to the coast!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
          We are at Eric's house now and just finished a great dinner. A shower is up next for sure. It was a hard ride to get here from Utah when we left this morning, did a total of 670 miles today, longest day yet.

Pete I had thought of that for a Bike IV set up, but I was able to manage with just keeping a close eye on it and adding oil when needed.

Having a blast so far with this trip, covered about 2700 miles thus far. Cant wait to get the bike fixed up tomorrow and continue to the coast!
          Glad to hear you made it safe Tim! And good on ya' Eric for giving the guys somewhere to go have a shower and a feed and get some help with their bikes... that's why I love this forum

And Tim, I'm sure the IV would've drawn some... errr... interesting attention if you needed it... hahaha
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

As much as we would like to see further updates, we might not get anymore updates for awhile, Eric can't seem to get logged on to this site.
            Maybe he was a victim of that doomsday malware which hit yesterday, but he posted last night and that hit earlier in the day.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Update!
              We are busy replacing the leaky real gasket cam cover gasket and adjusting the valves.
              The tach drive is leaking out of the cable and we are going to replace both seals and the cable.

Later...

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                As much as we would like to see further updates, we might not get anymore updates for awhile, Eric can't seem to get logged on to this site.
                Maybe he was a victim of that doomsday malware which hit yesterday, but he posted last night and that hit earlier in the day.
                I think its the Government watching him.

Comment

Just got finished playing with Eric in his garage, and we fixed many things. New valve cover gasket, as the real-gasket I had on there was cracked and completely destroyed .
                  We also replaced the tach seals and cable as they were fubar as well. Of course while doing this Kyle snapped the bolt holding the tach retaining clip, and so we spent a good deal trying to get that out.
                  After every attempt failed we ended up drilling it out and tapping it one size bigger.

We also replaced the rear brake pads as the oil leak had wrecked those. And Eric drained and refilled the front break fluid as well. Ended up checking valve clearances and replaced 6 shims
                  Now the bike is running much better and should be leak free for many miles!

Kyle and I working on the bike...

Next up Eric and I are gonna head into Lake Tahoe and finally make it into California!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

ATGATT
                    Ready to head out.

No more leaks after 30 miles and he is on the way to California!

Eric

Comment

Good stuff guys! And Eric you're a champ helping Tim out like that.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Glad you had so much help with this break down.
                        I got the same problem with the tach cable leaking oil. I hoped that just wrapping the leak with tape would do it, but the adhesive melts from the heat.
                        GS speed Tim Tom!
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

If I ever got out that way, I think I might have to schedule a breakdown at Eric's place.
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

BTW, Cocotits came by yesterday while we were working on the 850 and picked up some more parts for his '78 1000 also.
                            It was nice to meet him and his lovely wife while we were busy as bees doing repairs.
                            His bike, is coming along really well and soon will be running in top shape also.

Eric

Comment

Steve, if you have to break down, try and plan one near Eric. He was incredibly helpful and I practically learned more wrenching with him in one day then in the 3 years I`ve had my bike... Seriously I cant thank you enough. Gonna spent today enjoying Lake Tahoe and I believe we are gonna go parasailing. Tomorrow its back on the road to the Redwood Forest in northern california, then we begin to head south down the coast and then east back home. It has been an incredible trip so far!

Comment

Still planning on RRR in another week and a half?

See you there.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X