gs550 Carb rebuild problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 Carb rebuild problems

Looking for a little help, I recently pulled the carbs inn my bike, bought a non runner got it to fire and mostly idle, although only when cold and without choke.

Upon inspection of the jets and needle it appears they are 650 carbs in a 550. no wonder it wasn't working well. Right now I'm planning on rejetting to get as many components inside the carb bodies to 550 spec. I've seen recommendations to stick to the canadian spec as close as possible, as the emissions in the us were thought to lower performance. Anyway here are my questions:

Is there a good source for GS550 needle jets and jet needles? I cant find them anywhere online.

or Will my bike run alright if I use the 650 needle jets and jet needles with the proper 550 jets?

If it helps my bike is a 81 GS550L with stock exhaust and a K&N filter in the stock Air box - minus the cover, mine didn't come with one so i fabricated vented one.

Any other idea? Thanks for any help

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. UWBernie,

Any change to intake or exhaust will require jetting changes. The chart on my website may have the stock specs for your carbs. You'll also find a list with most of our favorite vendors in your "mega-welcome".

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks

Thanks,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now to see if I could find the solution to my problem. I've already replaced the intake o rings and have the set of o rings ready for the carb rebuild. I'm expecting I'll need to bump the jet sizes from stock due to the K&N but your website has been an amazing resource.

I guess I'm really interested in finding out if anyone has ever run different needle jets and needles on a GS550. I bought a set of "GS550" carbs off ebay that had a 550 kit installed in a set of 650 carbs (used your site to ID the ebay carbs)so I have for the meanwhile 2 sets of GS650 carbs one with 650 jets and one with 550 jets.

Comment

The 550 and 650 use the same basic carbs, only the jetting is different.

Stock jetting for your Canadian 550 is as follows:
        main jet: 92.5
        pilot fuel jet: 40
        pilot air jet: 120
        jet needle: 5f42-3
        needle jet: x-6

jetting for the US-spec 650 is as follows:
        main jet: 110
        pilot fuel jet: 42.5
        pilot air jet: 160
        jet needle: 5c-45
        needle jet: y-7

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the specs, I've been using those and have found the Jet needles have been discontinued every place I look. know anywhere i might pick some up?

If not I'm going to try getting the stock main, pilot, and air jets and a size larger and give it a shot with the 650 jet needles and needle jets.

Comment

Working...
          X