Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm taking on a rebuld of a 1977 suzuki gs750. I am an amature when it comes to building bikes but it is something I always wanted to get into. I got the bike pretty cheap cause it wasn't running so I'm excited to get at it. I appreciate all the help I'll get from everyone. Have a great day.

Comment

Hello!
      My name is Jožko (it would be Joe in english) but people mostly call me Juzy. I'm 36 years old and I just love motorbikes, specialy Harleys(since I was around 10) and older jap inline fours.
      I'm from Slovenia, small country in Europe between Italy and Austria.
      I'll probably soon get a Suzuki GS500 (that smaller italian version of GS550) for a 100 euros. Don't know which year is yet. The condition of the bike is not good so it will need a total rebuild I belive.
      I'm doing some basic researcher over the net for now, but it's not much about exact model. I belive it's the same as GS550 except bore size and carbs. Can someone confirm this?

I also own a Harley sportster 883 converted to 1200 which is year 1986. It wasn't in good condition when I buy it 12 years ago, but now it's in a great shape and runs like a champ. I do all the stuff on it mainly by myself.

That's it for now, I appologies for stupid questions in advance

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Greetings and Salutations,

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their proper greeting. If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        juzyHD, This is the first post in this thread and was started to offer information to new members. Please post a introduction thread in the "Members " section and all will follow with comments. Welcome! If your GS500 is a 4 cylinder, there aren't to many around in the US so I think Europeans will offer you the best information. http://suzukicycles.org/All-Suzuki/a...ki_models.html This link may offer you some information. Slovenia is on my list to visit someday. Beautiful from what I've seen!
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Greeting from the great white North. Name is Tony, 54. Been around motorbikes since I was 6. Love restoring the old gs bikes. Easy to work on and look great when done. I've done 8 bikes so far. My new project is a 82 650 katana. Hoping to get some good ideas for this project and find some needed parts. Cheers

Comment

There's no hope Charlie welcome aborad Oldcanadiandawg
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm not sure anyone is aware, but many of the links at the beginning of the extremely valuable MEGA-WELCOME Link are broken.
              However, I did go to BassCliff's website and got to all of them that way.
              Just an FYI for any other Noobs here.

Thanks, BassCliff, for this invaluable resource. It's extremely helpful!

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their proper greeting. If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Oh God! Pods!

BassCliff
              ‘79 GS550
              ‘82 GS650G

Comment

Hi, i live in Melbourne, Australia. We are locked down due to the virus and cant go anywhere. So i decided to start a project. She arrived today a 1977 GS 750. All original but needs a load of work. Ive never done this before. My other bike is a 2015 BMW K1300 which is nearly impossible to work on.

Comment

Hi everyone, my name is Nik and I live in southern California. I picked up a 1982 GS450L from a buddy that needed to get rid of it for free and am currently planning to build it into a cafe racer. I know that many would not like to hear this, but I am more of a to each their own kind of guy. Anyway, I am currently just researching what parts i will use to make it into what i want.

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and have been poking around, having a few chuckles, and taking note of good information. My GS is a '79 GS850GN that I bought 6 years ago in decent running condition. It's been under wraps for the last 5 years but after selling a 2004 Honda 599 Hornet I'm finally finding time to clean up and tinker up the old GS. I drained the gas and added fresh, plopped in the battery and hit the starter. Caught on the third crank. Can't complain! Now working on fluid changes and replacing a sticky choke cable but been running it around town in the meantime and loving it. Thank you for this great resource. I look forward to browsing through the other posts as I bring my old GS back to regular use. - Dyl
                    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
                    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
                    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
                    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                    2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Originally posted by GSDoubleDyl View Post
                      - Dyl
                      Welcome. You would do better to make your own new posting in the "owners" section as an introduction (better yet with pics of bike).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

New guy bio's

Hello, I live in south central Kansas, I'm 39, and I'm man that is new to motorcycles but not to tools in my hands. I purchased an 1100gkz on the cheap and have been having some problems due to my ignorance. I have no doubt everyone here could be a huge help. I had to partially rebuild the wire harness and I've replaced the stator and the CDI. I went ahead and got a dyna electronic ignition, but I'll speak more on that in the proper feed. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. After having trouble with my big toy, I got a small pit bike and got it running. It did give me a little better general idea of how bikes work.

Comment

Cthulhu, as its stated over and over in this thread to not reply here, yet people still do, Please copy what you wrote and start a new thread in The GS Owners forum. That’s where introductory threads should go. Then a dozen people over there can tell you your bike never had a CDI.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

First post of the thread....Please note the BOLD type...

DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                            Oh God! Pods!

BassCliff
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                            X