This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to everyone.

I have a 1981 GS750E -- as my screen name implies, I am the original owner -- bought it brand new in '81 and I now have it MV registered with antique plates.

I am hoping to gain and share some knowledge here. I'm no mechanic but my bike has never been to a motorcycle shop, ever. I have done all the maintenance and repairs for the 32 years I've owned it and it still runs like new.

Thanks for having me.

Comment

Proud Owner of a 1978 GS 750

Just drop the hammer on a 1978 GS Suzuki motor cycle. It needs a little TLC before she is street ready. But looking forward to working on her and driving it. I owned this very same motorcycle way back in the day. It was a really nice bike to ride back then and it had some get up and go.

Bought it off the original owner, it has been sitting since 2003 so I have my work cut out for me. Carbs, and probably the tank, change out the tires and work on the brakes. The bike looks to be in pretty good shape, need a front fender as this one has a dent in it. The bike was painted once since it was new back to the original colour and pin striping. Will get pics up soon, have not even pick it up yet as I am at work at the moment.

Looking forward to checking out the website, any suggestions on where the best place to buy parts would be greatly appreciated.

Little confused as to why this bike only has the single disc in the front for a 78? The bike is a Canadian bike, so its in KM,S and has roughly 35000km on the dial.

CHeers Bruce

Comment

Taking on FULL restoration

Hey guys I have a 77 GS 750 that was bought new by my uncle. After my aunts wreck (minor injuries) in 92, it has been parked ever since. I couldn't stand to see it sitting any longer. I loaded it up, took it to my garage and started tearing it down. I have a pretty strong mechanical knowledge of how things work but there are some things that I just haven't ever done or even seen done. Hopefully through use of this forum I can get this old bike back on the road. It's down to the frame and the motor's cranking over so let the money spending begin. P.S. I'm going to attempt this full restoration without it ever seeing a motorcycle shop.

Comment

one more time......

Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!

Comment

Ahahaha, thanks for the laughs.

Comment

No Joke!

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
              Ahahaha, thanks for the laughs.
              Some people...I tell you...

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

New to forum

I'm building a 79 GS550 Bobber, I'm just about done with it! I am having some trouble with the Carbs. Besides that I'm from metro Detroit and looking to ride! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151284944137443&set=a.10150969914 057443.408062.711517442&type=1&theater
                Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Greetings to one and all. Nick here. I am a motorcycle-aholic, but not looking for any 12 step cure. I have owned or own 30 motorcycles over the years, currently a '10 Thruxton, '97 XR650L and a couple of Nortons (a '71 Commando and a '67 N15CS). The Nortons are going and it is time to hunt down the '77 GS750 I bought brand new in July of '77 and owned until '80. The hunting will not be difficult because it is currently owned by a recently retired colleague at work. Long story about that which I will bore you with later.

Anyhoo, good to find the site and I am looking forward to reading up the posts!

Comment

1979 gs550e

Hi my name is Kevin I have a 1979 GS550, that has set for 15 years and has 8500 original miles. It was a barn find and doesnt run at present, Good compression but i figure carbs are trashed. Any helpful suggestions on what i need to do to get her back in shape would be greatly appreciated. I dont know how this forum feels about Cafe Racers but that's where she is headed.

Comment

Originally posted by HighCountry View Post
                      Hi my name is Kevin I have a 1979 GS550, ... I dont know how this forum feels about Cafe Racers but that's where she is headed.
                      Well-done cafe racers are OK, it's their owners that can't read that we worry about.

From the very first post in the thread:
                      Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Greetings and Salutations,

(EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!)

Don't worry, you are not alone. You are the 68th reply in this thread.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve,

Maybe I should make the disclaimer bigger?

Fun stuff!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hey Steve,

Maybe I should make the disclaimer bigger?

Fun stuff!

BassCliff
                          why bother? they still wouldn't take any notice.......
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

why not have the admin lock it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Jed View Post
                              why not have the admin lock it?
                              Ask the Admin.....LOL

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                Ask the Admin.....LOL
                                Nah, I kind of like the "running joke" aspect of this thread. I'm sure if I sent a message to Frank he would lock it for me. But it's no big deal.

When I see someone post in this thread sometimes I will send them a private message with their "mega-welcome". That's OK too.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X