'81 550T coil/ignitor issue update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 550T coil/ignitor issue update

I thought I'd start a new thread since my original thread was under the fuel/carb section, and I've narrowed it down to a coil/ignitor problem. Here's the recap:

I originally thought I had a carb problem because of a rough idle and the fact that I would hit a 6000 rmp ceiling. Then I noticed that my bike wasn't firing on cylinders 2 and 3. I replaced the coils with Dyna DC1-1 and also got new spark plug wires, and new plugs. That seemed to fix the issue for about an hour, but then again I wasn't getting any spark out of the coils for cylinder 2 and 3. I went through the ignition troubleshooting procedure on Bike Cliff's site. My coils have the correct resistance values, and my signal generator also has the correct resistance values. However, I failed the ignitor test procedure (couldn't get the plugs to fire using 1.5V battery or a multimeter).
    I then followed many people's advice and checked the voltage at the coils. I was only reading 8.8V, so I performed the coil relay mod. I now read about 11.2V. That didn't fix my problem though. I still don't get a spark at 2 and 3.
    One thing I did find interesting is that I measure different voltages on the wires running in to the coils. With the ignition turned to ON, on the left coil (for cylinders 1 and 4 that are firing properly) I read 11.2V on the orange/white wire and read 1.75V on the white wire. On the right coil (for cylinders 2 and 3 that aren't firing properly), I read 11.2V on both the orange/white wire and the black/yellow wire. This seems strange.
    I think at this point it seems all indications are pointing towards something being wrong with ignitor. Especially considering that I didn't pass the ignitor test, coupled with strange voltage readings I'm getting from the wires coming from the ignitor.

Do you guys agree? Is there anything else I can try troubleshooting before I go an look at the Dyna S ignition systems?

"Is there anything else I can try troubleshooting before I go an look at the Dyna S ignition systems"

Pull plugs for 2 and 3 , reinstall plug wires and hold against head.Remove signal generator cover,With ignition and kill switch on, flick the tip of small screwdriver across face of signal coil for #2 and #3 (this duplicates what that little tab is doing as it zooms around)- plugs 2 and 3 should fire.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom203: What is this purpose of that test? Assuming I get a spark, what would I be verifying?

Comment

This test would confirm that ignitor is not working for 2 and 3 (if you saw no spark). It's more "direct" than firing ignitor with 1.5 volt battery or multimeter, since it duplicates what little tab on rotor does. BUt you still need to confirm good connections from signal coils to ignitor and from ignitor to ignition coils. dirty or loose connections will cause problems.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can anyone offer some insight into his voltage readings? I'm getting similar readings on my 550. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by madhouse View Post
            Can anyone offer some insight into his voltage readings? I'm getting similar readings on my 550. Is this normal?
            You get same readings as heater63 - so 2 and 3 aren't firing on your bike?
            1981 gs650L

Comment

I believe I had a loose ground connection on my ignitor. I added a lock washer and made sure the ground was tight. I am getting a consistant spark on 2 and 3 now. Still only appears to be getting complete combustion on 1 and 4 though (the exhaust headers on 1 and 4 are really hot, while 2 and 3 are only mildly hot). I am continuing to figure out what the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                You get same readings as heater63 - so 2 and 3 aren't firing on your bike?
                Well, to be honest, I'm not getting any spark from any plugs. I've got a few things to check tonight, but I can't seem to find my igniter. Can someone tell me what it looks like and where it would be on the bike? My Haynes manual has a ton of info on the pre-1980 points ignition system, but almost nothing on the transistorized system.
                I bought the bike partway torn apart, and have slowly been going the the ignition system trying to find my problem.

I had spark a couple weeks ago out of a couple plugs, can't remember which, and now I'm not getting anything.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The ignitor on the 550s are attached to the underneath side of the airbox.
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I was hoping it wasn't there. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                    X