Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member working on an 81 GS450L Brat-Style Cafe Project

Hi!

I've been working on a GS450L brat-style cafe Racer conversion and recently found my way to this Forum. Its an GS450L frame with the tank from the rare E model.

The PO had already done significant custom work to the bike and was building it into a cafe style bike. He had already painted and chopped the frame, installed Pods, and chopped the exhaust just short of the rear wheel to straight pipes. When I got it,I decided to do a 2 up brat style seat and weld on a rear hoop to give the rear end a cleaner look. The straight pipes look great, but make the bike run badly and are way to loud. So I'll be throwing mufflers back on.

The new seat pan is fabricated and all electronics have been replaced and mounted under the seat pan.

Here are a few pics of the current progress of the bike:

My ever growing list of tasks to complete the build include:

-Install an aluminum battery box, and hide all wiring. ( going for the see-through frame look )
    -Cut the front fender short and paint it to match the tank
    -Bondo, seal, prime, and paint the tank
    -Polish Engine
    -Fabricate a brat style rear seat and have in upholstered.
    -Modify existing straight pipes to run 14" 'shorty' megaphone-style mufflers
    -Replace all O Rings in Carbs and Replace Carb boots
    -Re-Jet, sync, and tune carbs after new mufflers are installed
    -Lower Tach and Speedo bracket. (Replace them with mini style gauges )
    -Rear sets.235
    -Bar End Mirrors

The bike runs and rides now. It shifts through all the gears with decent power. It just runs lean due to the straight pipes and pods. I'm excited to see how it runs with mufflers and and properly adjusted carbs.

Please comment with your opinion of the build!
    Any information on parts and settings for the carb adjustments with pods and a custom exhaust is appreciated!

And yes, I have already read Basscliff's mega welcome. Great info! It's great to find such a knowledgeable online GS support community.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM.

Looks like my pics didn't upload for some reason. I'll set up a photobucket account tonight and repost pics.

Comment

Aaaah I see... got some deja vu there thinking I'd just replied to this, but that was in GS Owners... all good, just confusing me at 5:50am hahaha

Looking forward to those pic's once you get Photobucket sorted
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Inspiration

Comment

Originally posted by dkletter View Post
          Inspiration

Inspiration?
          Really?
          What an ugly unfinished POS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow. That's friendly. You certainly have a welcoming manner with the new members. Well done. You must feel very proud of yourself.

dkletter - I think the bike you show as inspiration is very cool. I love it. It would appear that the seat is too thin for some of the cranky haemorrhoid sufferers here. That bike is very similar to the style I have been going for. I did put a front fender on mine, as well as a more complete rear fender to protect the insides of the bike, but other than that I love that style.

Were you thinking of trying a smaller tank? The one you have doesn't follows the lines as well as it might but overall I think you are on the right track. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Comment

I think it is cool - I am planning something similar to the extra GS I have.

I would love to see what you guys do with the electrics - where you place them and how to solve the mounting of it, etc, etc.

Keep it up!

Comment

Looks like you've got a good start there, but I gotta agree with Jimmy on the tank.

The E tank is great for a cafe, restoration, or even something like mine, but when going for a more minimalist build like your inspiration I think it gets a bit bulky. You might want to look around for an L tank as it would suit better... and you should in theory be able to sell that E tank for a good enough sum.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Inspiration?
                  Really?
                  What an ugly unfinished POS.
                  Given what he's starting with it's not a bad first step. I think there are better cafe's out there but at least he's making an effort to fix an aborted bike.

After Googleing 'brat-style' I think his inspiration bike is about right. I agree with Pete though, the tank doesn't fit that style. If it was a cafe racer, yes, but a brat, no.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I really like your inspiration picture. I think TKent was employing the use of sarcasm.

Other than stock, which is the resto I'm doing on my bike now, there are two styles that I really like. Rat and Brat. I think you are headed in the right direction for sure. Haven't seen many brat bikes on the forum.

Initially I agree with the tank comments so far. That looks like a G or a GK tank. Works for cafe, but it may be a little much for a brat. But I say go for it. Do it up! I'll enjoy watching the progress.

Comment

" I think TKent was employing the use of sarcasm. "

Then he's not very good at it.

Comment

I like the chunky look of the E tank, but I agree that it doesn't quite fit the style of a brat bike. I still have the original L tank so I could always throw that back on and sell E tank.

Comment

@ Tkent02, Here is a nice example of how these bikes can look.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                            " I think TKent was employing the use of sarcasm. "

Then he's not very good at it.
                            Nah, tkent pulls no punches. Pretty sure, he hates that rat-bike inspiration and L's, so a rat-style L bike is like the Anti-Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by dkletter View Post
                              Here is a nice example of how these bikes can look.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/10...onkees-32.html
                              I'd ride the hell out of that bike. Very sharp!

Comment

Working...
                              X