New Member working on an 81 GS450L Brat-Style Cafe Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
    Nah, tkent pulls no punches. Pretty sure, he hates that rat-bike inspiration and L's, so a rat-style L bike is like the Anti-Christ.
    Yea tkent is our resident honey badger, he don't give a $#!*, but he's a pretty decent guy under all that. But yea, chopped bike AND an L...you got off lucky! heh

Comment

Just take it to Sturgis.
      Don't forget the marshmallows.

(As I fill in for tkent )

Eric
      Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
        Yea tkent is our resident honey badger, he don't give a $#!*, but he's a pretty decent guy under all that. But yea, chopped bike AND an L...you got off lucky! heh
        Tkent is the best.

"My engine makes a strange noise"

tkent - Ride the balls off that f**ker!

"My engine seems to run oddly below 6,500 RPM"

tkent - Stop lugging, p*ssy! The engine is cold until 8,000RPM

"What is the best method for cleaning my new-to-me L-model?"

tkent - Take it to the nearest bridge, and deposit it in deepest area of the water below.

I still remember someone flippantly asking tkent how he keeps the front wheel down on some badass bike of his. He shrugged - "It returns to the ground each time I close the throttle."

Comment

To each his own right?

I'll know how to interpret TKent in the future. What you see is what you get.

As an owner of an L and liking the brat and rat styles I won't look for any kudos. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dkletter View Post
            @ Tkent02, Here is a nice example of how these bikes can look.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/10...onkees-32.html
            This one I like. A little thought and execution goes a long way, very nice. And you are.mistaken, the L loves to be customized, and a well done one is a beautiful thing. The first inspiration was a total POS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

For inspiration... yeah go that W650... very nice!

And JimmyR's 1100G... that thing is awesome and I can't wait to see it finished...

The first inspiration pic is definitely a bit average compared to others...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I like the Brat style if it's done well. The inspiration bike is pretty cool imo. The E tank would look great if you sectioned about 2 inches out of the middle of it right where the emblems mount. Weld it back together and, viola...much sleeker looking..and a very subtle mod.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Can't wait to see the next step in the build.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                    I like the Brat style if it's done well. The inspiration bike is pretty cool imo. The E tank would look great if you sectioned about 2 inches out of the middle of it right where the emblems mount. Weld it back together and, viola...much sleeker looking..and a very subtle mod.
                    Interesting thought Larry, the thought never even crossed my mind! That would definitely work...

sigpic

Comment

Not that you even wanna mess with that tank (it's pretty cool) but nvr2old's idea of sectioning the tank is a pretty good idea. I am building a cafe racer gs750 and I sectioned about an inch or so from it and it totally transformed the look. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185716

Comment

Progress Pics!

I had an extra L tank and after mocking it up on the bike I agree that it will work alot better with the lines of the bike. It was badly dented though and had a horrible paint job. So I spent the weekend getting it ready for new paint.

L tank mock up

Stripped, fixed, and primed the L tank this weekend:

The stripping took most of a day. There were at least 5 coats of paint and several coats of primer. I had to take it all the way down to the metal to get at the dents with bondo.

The girlfriend helping me strip it.

Ready for bondo!

Ready for primer

Garage Paint Booth Set-up

Ready for Paint! It will be getting a glossy grey paint with red pin striping.

I'll be using this product for the final coat. It polishes to a glossy shine and is resistant to gas and oil:

R&E Paint Supply is your source of high end auto body supplies, paint, and equipment. Click here today to view our quality auto paint supply products!

I also removed the exhaust headers and old exhaust wrap. I will be cutting those straight pipes off and installing Dunstall-style Reverse-Cone mufflers.

I haven't decided how to treat the header pipes. I was thinking of wrapping them in new tan colored header wrap. But I may sand them down to the metal and paint them black to match the frame. The dunstall mufflers will be chrome so I want the headers to look good with the new mufflers.. Opinions??

Tonight I will be welding on the rear seat hoop and a new mounting point for the L tank since the previous owner decided to cut it off... pics to come..
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Oh, I also have a new chain on the way since the existing one seems to be the original from 1981.. Any tips or tricks on replacing the chain on these old bikes?

Comment

Looking good! And good choice on clear coat, you don't want a drip of fuel ruining your paint job...

I'm not a fan of wrapping pipes unless there's a need, so black would work well with the chrome mufflers, and Dunstall style is always a good choice

No special tips on the chain except make sure your sprockets are good to go as well.

sigpic

Comment

Might as well go with an endless chain, the swing arm bearings probably need to come apart for cleaning and grease anyway.

I'd go with the black pipes and chrome mufflers... That always looks good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bike is looking really good. I like the L tank. Good work on that.

I think you should probably go ahead and propose as well. But then again if you get married then that will be the end of her working on your bike.

I like the idea of ceramic coated pipes, but I don't know how rough things are under the wrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X