82 GS1100 starts only with choke off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100 starts only with choke off

i have an 82 1100 with Vance and Hines 4 into 1, pod filters and stage 3 dynojet kit. also just installed dyna S ignition and coils. I bought the bike as a non-runner with no carbs, no air box, and already had the 4-1 header so that's why I went the way of pods and jet kit. One coil was dead so I installed the dynas. One last piece of background- the previous owner said it might have a wiseco piston kit too but I haven't confirmed that.

Ok so anyway I finally got the bike to start but only with the choke OFF. I could crank it over all day with choke on and only get slight puttering but never fired. As soon as I took the choke off it started right up and it idles fine between 1.5 and 2k rpm, anything below that it dies. Typically I would think this means the mixture is rich, but the chokes on these bikes are not traditional chokes in the sense that they restrict air flow, instead they open up the starter fuel circuit. So I'm confused as to what this means... I had understood that these bikes cannot start off of the pilot circuit... What's going on?

thanks!

Sami

tumbleweed said....
    "I had understood that these bikes cannot start off of the pilot circuit"

Sure they can! Except from cold start, they do it all the time, but you need clean unclogged idle circuits. If you can't get this thing to idle nicely at 1k rpm, suspect carb problems - did you clean them,etc.?
    You suspect a rich mixture ? Let it run a while at 1500 (in breeze or with fan) and pull plugs
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you got it without carbs what garbs did you put on it Sami? If you want help right away, give me a call at 714--356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Hi had similar problem, was idling too rich, couldnt use choke on start. I had the pilot screws turned out 3, when I adjusted them to the highest idle method found they were all only about 1 3/4 turns out. Now I can use the choke for cold starts.

Regards
        GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
        1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
        1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X