79 GS1000L turn signal comes on by its self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L turn signal comes on by its self

The left blinker keeps coming on, I can cancel it and it will stay off for a while, but it eventually comes back on. I opened up the left hand control and everything looks fine with no corrosion, the switch seems to operate properly as well. Is there some sort of control box that could be bad? Any experience with this would be helpful, thanks.

I opened up the control again. This time I noticed that the contact for the cancel function was loose. There is a little plastic pin that holds it down and that was broken. I used some epoxy to glue it down and now it seems to function properly.

Comment

You might want to go through the entire switch and give it a good cleaning and dielectric grease coating (preferably in a big clear plastic bag to avoid loosing tiny parts and springs). Something had to initiate the turn signal, and I can't imagine anything in the cancel circuit doing that the way it's built, unless your turn signal self canceling module is going bad (as they all do) in a new way.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

It was forcing the lever to make contact with the left hand contact because it was twisted in the housing. Actually the inside of the housing was clean, except the rusty spring.

Comment

Working...
        X