McMinnville Or to Laguna Seca via Crater Lake and Yosemite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McMinnville Or to Laguna Seca via Crater Lake and Yosemite

It's a little last minute, but the plans are finally finalized!

Headed out next Wed, 7/25 from McMinnville, Oregon to Laguna Seca for the bike races. I was going to take the newly acquired FJR1300, but it won't be ready by then. I guess the classic Suzuki will have to do the work!! While the races make a decent destination, it's just an excuse for the ride!!

Leaving here around noon or so and making an easy run to Bend. Meeting with my brother and a buddy of his and will probably enjoy some of the killer microbrew the town in known for.

Thursday headed to Klamath Falls with a trip through Crater lake. Interested on hearing where we should head while in K Falls. Ideas?

From K Falls to Carson City, NV. Headed out there across Yosemite on our way to the Monterey area.

From there the races and maybe a ball game, then up the coast through the redwoods and back home. 7 days in all.

I would really enjoy seeing some fellow GSers on the road or at any of the destinations. I've been riding daily for over a year now and haven't seen a single Suzuki GS on the road. It's really pretty surprising if you think about it, over 30k miles and I'm the only GS I've ever seen! Crazy.

Let me know what suggestions you may have or if you can meet anyway along the way. We will have a pretty motley crew of a Harley, some sort of 250cc something or other, another bike i have no idea of, any the cream of the crop, my 1980 Suzuki GS1000G

Looking forward to hearing from yous guys!!

Thanks for letting me join in.

Originally posted by Gssheller View Post

Thursday headed to Klamath Falls with a trip through Crater lake. Interested on hearing where we should head while in K Falls. Ideas?
    Somewhere else. The place is a dump.

There is some cool stuff south, Glass Mountain in California is interesting. Some of the ride to Reno is nice, mostly before Susanville.
    Last edited by tkent02; 07-20-2012, 12:58 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Somewhere else. The place is a dump.

There is some cool stuff south, Glass Mountain in California is interesting. Some of the ride to Reno is nice, mostly before Susanville.
      Point taken.

Thanks!

Comment

Two years ago I had a decent dinner at "The Creamery" Brewpub in Klamath Falls, 1320 Main Street (AKA Klamath Basin Brewing Company). It has the highest recommendation on Yelp of any restaurant in Klamath Falls.

I see you are going to Laguna Seca. Have you heard of the new road track that opened this year (with lots of M/C events) in Shelton WA (just outside Olympia), The Ridge Motorsports Park?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich64N View Post
          Two years ago I had a decent dinner at "The Creamery" Brewpub in Klamath Falls, 1320 Main Street (AKA Klamath Basin Brewing Company). It has the highest recommendation on Yelp of any restaurant in Klamath Falls.

I see you are going to Laguna Seca. Have you heard of the new road track that opened this year (with lots of M/C events) in Shelton WA (just outside Olympia), The Ridge Motorsports Park?
          Thats a recommendation I can use... Thanks!!

And no, I haven't heard of the new road track in Shelton. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Just thought id throw out an update. Made it to bend last night without much trouble. The old gs didn't really getting my fat ass up some of those hills above 70, but it did it.
            Also doesn't seem to like to idle here. Hoping its just the altitude. Ideas?
            Off to klamath falls today via crater lake. Tomorrow carson city through susanville and reno.
            Wish me luck!

Comment

Good luck and have some fun.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Gssheller View Post
                Also doesn't seem to like to idle here. Hoping its just the altitude. Ideas?
                Turn the big idle screw in a little bit to raise the idle speed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Alrighty!
                  Finally back to some sort of civiliazation and phone service!
                  Made the trip through Yosemite today and all I can say is...
                  Holy crap there are a lot of people in California! The roads were great, the weather was perfect, but i'll never go back on a Saturday!
                  The bike rode really well. The only concern is that I seem to have developed a "dolphin-humping-like" squeak from the front bearings Perhaps that's what I get for letting it get so far sideways! This fat guy and that old bike can still take a turn!
                  I guess I'll just keep an ear on it and if it turns to growling take it serious. If I weren't 1000 miles from home it would be new bearings straight away. As it is, fingers crossed.
                  Sorry no pictures, but I haven't figured out how to post photos from my phone on this forum yet.
                  Thanks,
                  Brian

Comment

Brian, your friends rode you right around the GS repair facility.
                    I even have a few sets of new wheel bearing in stock. Why didn't you ask earlier?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      Brian, your friends rode you right around the GS repair facility.
                      I even have a few sets of new wheel bearing in stock. Why didn't you ask earlier?

Eric
                      I know it!

Although there wasn't any bearing noise until after the twisties! I was just looking forward to meeting you!
                      Btw- one Harley had some sort of engine noise, the other was shedding parts yesterday like a golden retriever sheds hair!

Comment

1000G is a nice all day ride. My brother calls his a rolling barcalounger. On your way back, it would be tough to decide between Avenue of the Giants and Honey Dew. There is an awesome area of Redwoods behind Cresent City which ties into the road to Grant's Pass (199?), which is fairly fun, but I never figured a way to get from there to Eugene that I like.

Sounds like a blast.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

From SF, go up Hwy 1 to Leggett

Then, stay on the Coast until Reedsport, cross over the Umpqua bridge and turn right on Lower Smith River Rd- about 15 miles in, there should be a sign for Alma, or Siuslaw River Rd (I think this is BLM 27, whatever number it is, it's paved)

Take that left, go to Alma (which is just a sign, no buildings) and take Wolf Creek Rd to Territorial Rd, turn left on Territorial and go north until it hits hwy 36. Jog rt and continue on Territorial to Monroe

If you miss the turn to Alma, just keep going easterly on LSRR past the Gunter Rec area and you'll hit Hwy 36. Turn left and go about 1 mile, turn left on Curtin Rd and left on Territorial Rd To Loraine and Veneta and on to Monroe. If you miss the Curtin Rd turn, just get on I-5 and take the Curtin exit, go thru Curtin on Curtin Rd to Territorial

As you leave Monore, there;ll be a hill, just past that is Alpine Rd. Go left to Alpine and follow the road out past Alsea Falls. When the road ends, turn right to Alsea. Turn right at Alsea and head for Philometh. Go left on 20 to 233 and you're in Dallas. A side trip up Mary's Peak is always good
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            1000G is a nice all day ride. My brother calls his a rolling barcalounger. On your way back, it would be tough to decide between Avenue of the Giants and Honey Dew. There is an awesome area of Redwoods behind Cresent City which ties into the road to Grant's Pass (199?), which is fairly fun, but I never figured a way to get from there to Eugene that I like.

Sounds like a blast.
                            Not sure about the barcolounger reference. The 32 year old foam with the freshly torn vinyl on my seat made for a long long ride some days. Of course the new seat cover arrived the day after I left home!

199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass was great. I really would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to lag behind a slow Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              From SF, go up Hwy 1 to Leggett

Then, stay on the Coast until Reedsport, cross over the Umpqua bridge and turn right on Lower Smith River Rd- about 15 miles in, there should be a sign for Alma, or Siuslaw River Rd (I think this is BLM 27, whatever number it is, it's paved)

Take that left, go to Alma (which is just a sign, no buildings) and take Wolf Creek Rd to Territorial Rd, turn left on Territorial and go north until it hits hwy 36. Jog rt and continue on Territorial to Monroe

If you miss the turn to Alma, just keep going easterly on LSRR past the Gunter Rec area and you'll hit Hwy 36. Turn left and go about 1 mile, turn left on Curtin Rd and left on Territorial Rd To Loraine and Veneta and on to Monroe. If you miss the Curtin Rd turn, just get on I-5 and take the Curtin exit, go thru Curtin on Curtin Rd to Territorial

As you leave Monore, there;ll be a hill, just past that is Alpine Rd. Go left to Alpine and follow the road out past Alsea Falls. When the road ends, turn right to Alsea. Turn right at Alsea and head for Philometh. Go left on 20 to 233 and you're in Dallas. A side trip up Mary's Peak is always good
                              I'll have to keep this on the list for next time. We headed up 101 to 199 to Grants Pass, then I bombed home up 99. 550 mile last day. Arrived home 1 am. Really made pretty good time on I5.

Comment

Working...
                              X