No announcement yet.

Gasket pieces fell into cam chain area!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really wishing I had just put a shop rag in there... Oh well, lesson learned. I'm gonna flush some fresh oil through it and pull the strainer and clean all that out. Gives me an excuse to clean up my exhaust while I have it pulled off. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Greg

In the stable:
    1980 GS850G
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

Before you tip new oil down there try flushing with derv or white spirit - that will flush much better. You'll rinse off the bearings a bit so don't turn the engine over, let the thing drain a bit and then throw some new oil in there.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It is going to happen. I recommend using anti sieze on the lower side of the valve cover gasket. Curses to those dry gasket PO's that owned my bikes before.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Now that sounds like the voice of experience...

Happy B-day BTW Jim.
          We I have forgotten to put a rag in but never forgotten to pull one out. I think someone posted about leaving a rag in once. Hey surgeons leave sponges in sometimes as well right?

Thanks for the B day wishes.

Comment

Anti-seize on the gasket. Brilliant idea.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Good stuff Anti-Sieze

Don't forget to use a small dab on your Spark plug threads. Nothing is worse than stripping a plug thread out of a head. Other areas it's good for are exhaust bolts and wheel studs (on your car) . In general; any-where threads tend to corrode and may break when removing them.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                It is going to happen. I recommend using anti sieze on the lower side of the valve cover gasket. Curses to those dry gasket PO's that owned my bikes before.
                I've read where saturating the gasket with WD-40 is the way to go, I guess anti-seize would probably do the better job.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Remington44-77 View Post
                  Don't forget to use a small dab on your Spark plug threads. Nothing is worse than stripping a plug thread out of a head. Other areas it's good for are exhaust bolts and wheel studs (on your car) . In general; any-where threads tend to corrode and may break when removing them.
                  +1 on anti-sieze for spark plug threads. I once owned a Honda 450 and carbon must've made it up through the treads. I couldn't get that plug out, just turned without coming out, sold it that way.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I wanted to report that I finally got this all taken care of last week. I ended up flushing the engine with some mineral spirits, dropped the oil pan to clean that out, and cleaned the screen for the sump. I did find a few little gasket pieces in the pan, and there was other gunk in there as well. I'm glad I got it all cleaned up. I also finally got the valves adjusted! She is running beautifully.. Better than she ever has for me.
                    Greg

In the stable:
                    1980 GS850G
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

Originally posted by gregzbutt View Post
                      I also finally got the valves adjusted! She is running beautifully.. Better than she ever has for me.
                      Great news!!!

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X