No announcement yet.

78 GS550 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should have about a 17.5 pilot jet in it...not a 50 .....

Comment

My summer has finally started so it's time to get back to work!

I decided to quit trying to make it pretty until I can get the mechanical systems working right. So far I've busted into the engine and taken the top end and clutch apart. I'm afraid to take the valves out since I know I won't be able to put them back in without breaking something - and I wasn't having any problems with them so I'll leave them for now. The inside of the engine is clean as a whistle except the built up grime on the pistons and valves. I managed to totally destroy every gasket so I ordered a set by Vesrah on ebay for $80.

The carbs are in pretty crappy shape so I'll try my hand at rebuilding them. I ordered rebuild kits and I'm already nervous that I will irreparably destroy them. Once I get inside them I'll make a 'carb rebuild for absolute novices' guide.

Also on the way is a Dyna S ignition. Pics will be up soon!

Comment

Originally posted by tswirl View Post
        M Once I get inside them I'll make a 'carb rebuild for absolute novices' guide.
        We already have that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When you say you got into the top end, how far did you get? It sounds you are already in the rabbits hole if you went far enough to be talking about not wanting to pull the valves. Trust me, it's not that hard and you might as well do the job right. Look through my project thread and then go read the valve lapping guide on Basscliff's site that Steve and I put together. If you removed the head already you need to get a new base gasket as well since you will have disturbed it in the process. Those Vesrahs you bought will more than likely leak on you in quick time as they are not that great of quality. You'll do better to spend the extra money on OEM ones from the dealers in your welcome guide, places like G&S Suzuki, Boulevard Suzuki, or Z1 Enterprises, so you know you'll be able to ride instead of replacing them again.

Sadly, you also wasted your money buying rebuild kits as they don't contain everything you need for the orings and contain crappy parts. Cancel that order and talk to Robert Barr (www.cycleorings.com) who's a member here. He'll send you the orings you need then go buy some gaskets - you'll spend a tenth of the price you paid on the kits and get everything you'll need. As Tom said, there's already a couple of guides on how to rebuild those carbs put up on Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-06-2013, 07:52 AM.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Be very careful drilling the frame for the 1100 swing arm. I had a junk frame with no title so I tried drilling it for practice and did not/could not drill strait.
            I am having new sleeves made for the 1100 swinger that the bearings ride on with a hole the right size for the smaller bolt.
            I also am running the 1100 front end on my 78 750 and used the all balls bearing conversion mentioned earlier. Works great except I had to have the lower bearing removed and pressed on by a shop.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Cowboy,
              Thanks for the advice, I really have very little idea what I'm doing. I have taken the breather cover off and the gasket was shredded, took the camshaft cover off and saw that it was clean inside but also had a worn gasket, and took out the combustion chamber and pistons. The valves and tappets are untouched inside the cylinder head - but they do have a lot of black crud built up on the faces.

I drilled the frame last summer successfully (the new swingarm can be seen on the bike in my pictures - its aluminum instead of tubular steel). I still have to get the lower bearing work done but it's good to know that someone else has done it already!

Comment

Please stop everything you are doing and read up on stuff. Then I'd put the word out here asking for help from the many members that live in your area. Some of them might be willing to come over and lend a hand if need be.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I found an engine with 6000 miles on it so I've decided to use that instead of the one I've been working on - which has 35,000 miles. New engine has been delivered but I'm busy working on another project at the moment.

My new plan is to get the frame ready, including wiring and brakes and tackle the engine last. This way I get to know the bike some more, and once I have the engine in good shape there all I have to do is drop it in. The setup I will be using is a little unique, I am using a 1981 gs1100 fork and swing arm on the 1978 gs550 frame. The reason I am using the gs1100 parts is so I have two disc brakes up front and one in back instead of the 550's single disc and rear drum.

This is going to be a pretty long term project because I'm in school and have a pretty limited budget - not to mention that I'm also working on a 1984 Toyota pickup daily driver.

If there is anyone in the Seattle area who is willing to share their knowledge or resources (websites, scrapyards, etc...) that would be awesome. One of the biggest problems I have is that since I bought this bike not running, I have no idea how some parts are supposed to function or whether or not they are working properly. I really don't want to give up on this project but no matter what I try to do, it doesn't seem to be making any progress.

Thanks

[edit: I'll put pics up this weekend]

Comment

Originally posted by tswirl View Post
                    One of the biggest problems I have is that since I bought this bike not running, I have no idea how some parts are supposed to function or whether or not they are working properly. I really don't want to give up on this project but no matter what I try to do, it doesn't seem to be making any progress.

Thanks

[edit: I'll put pics up this weekend]
                    That's because you're in the running for the Newbie Mistakes of the year award

Have you read thru BassCliff's site?

Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not

Check the Top Newbie Mistakes

No where do I see where you've adjusted the valves, taken a compression reading or cleaned your carbs properly

It sounds like you tore part a perfectly good motor because you rush to judgement (which is questionable)
                    Last edited by Big T; 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You're absolutely right - I am explicitly a newbie. The main reason I got the new engine is because I wanted to have a reference of how the engine systems should work. The old engine could be resurrected once I gain the expertise and tools to do so properly. The reason I took it apart in the first place was to replace the gaskets and see the condition of the engine internals.

I have dipped and rebuilt the carbs with new o-rings from cycleorings.com and gaskets. I will buy new jets also because one of the many po's chopped the exhaust and put pods on and tossed the stock jets. Last summer I had the engine running (poorly, very poorly). I have not taken a compression reading or adjusted the valves.

I have learned a lot since I first joined last year and I am cautiously moving forwards with the project. Like I said, I want to get the frame and suspension components on and working first. Then I will wire the bike (the part I am most comfortable with) and finally drop the motor back in after I have done all of the necessary adjusting/testing to it.

I made the huge mistake last year and earlier this summer of trying to make this a budget project, when it could never succeed that way. This time around I will be careful to use quality products and buy the necessary equipment/tooling.

This is the newbie mistake I want to avoid most of all, "10) Buying a 30 year old motorcycle because it was cheap without any mechanical knowledge and no interest in learning. Paying a shop to work on your 30 year old motorcycle is not advised unless you have lots of money to spend and know for a fact that they are trustworthy."

I fell hard for the first part but I will finish this project, and I don't want to give up and take it to a shop to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X