82 gs650g idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650g idle problem

Okay so here is my dilemma. I own a 1982 Suzuki GS650G whom I bought from a guy who bought it from the original owner. The guy I bought it from rebuilt the Carbs with a kit he does not remember the name of....To the point. When I am riding my motorcycle and I stop at a stop light in neutral it usually idles at 1500 rpm. For some reason after it warms up (sometimes) it will start to idle at 2500 and if I let it keep doing that it will just keep going up. Today it was idling at 4000! So instead of having the engine rev like mad while waiting at a light I let the clutch out a little and had my front brake on to quiet it down to 1500. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG. p.s. it does not do this all the time so I am assuming its not the idle adjustment.
    -Alex

Alex,

Welcome to the GSR. Someone will be along shortly to roll out the red carpet and provide your Mega Welcome (chocked full of great information), but in the mean time please click on the link for the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. You will find the answer to your bikes "hanging idle" issue in that thread.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As Nessism hinted, you have some maintenance issues to deal with- your bike is 30 years old, who knows what has or has not been done. Approach it carefully, take no shortcuts and you'll likely get it running like new.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you. I'll be sure to keep this thread posted.

Comment

In case you missed this little tidbit,

please check your tires age before you do much riding
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you. I did not find anything about hanging idles on that link nessism gave me. I am pretty new at this sooo... what should I do rebuild the carbs? oh and where my air cleaner should be there is a piece of foam zip tied around it....... just found this out yesterday could this be contributing to my hanging idle?
            -Alex

Comment

Your hanging Idle is most liekl due to leaking Air boots and or intake boots. We all consider the replacement of these to be as important as a carb soak and new orings in the carbs. Soak the carbs, Install Air boots, Orings and new carb orings. Bench sync the carbs then vacuum sync. You should be well on your way to correcting the issue at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by alex82gs650g View Post
                Thank you. I did not find anything about hanging idles on that link nessism gave me. I am pretty new at this sooo... what should I do rebuild the carbs? oh and where my air cleaner should be there is a piece of foam zip tied around it....... just found this out yesterday could this be contributing to my hanging idle?
                -Alex
                You need to go back and read again Alex. It's all very clear about carb boot O-rings being the number one cause of a hanging idle. It's also clear that MAINTENANCE is critical to a good running bike. If you just ride until the bike breaks down before you do basic maintenance, you will be broken down a LOT.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you. I did not find anything about hanging idles on that link nessism gave me.
                  Go back to that link again, look at item #2. The words "hanging idle" (including the quote marks ) are right there in the second sentence.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Alex,

When I got my first bike a few months ago it had hanging idle issues and chopped exhaust. It ran okay some days and barely ran at all most days. I followed the carb rebuild tutorial for my VM carbs and had them synched. I also managed to find the stock exhaust online.

Replacing all the carb boot o-rings and carb o-rings was easy as pie. I had never worked on an engine in my life before that. My boot o-rings didn't even look that bad, but i replaced them and the problem was solved. I was lucky that all my boots were still soft, hopefully you are too. But be prepared to replace if not.

Best of luck. This site will lead you to all the information you need.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Here ya go... New Members, CLICK HERE!!

The "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists. Go through the lists and make sure each item is properly addresses, carb cleaning, air intake repair, valve adjustments, etc, must all be done properly in order to have a safe an reliable motorcycle. Most of these newly purchased 30 year old machines need 20 years worth of maintenance. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

.....oh and where my air cleaner should be there is a piece of foam zip tied around it....... just found this out yesterday could this be contributing to my hanging idle?
                        -Alex
                        Not likely- the fact that some PO removed the carbs to "rebuild" them means that boots/ carbs interface was disturbed- 30 yearold rubber might no longer clamp nicely, so slight airleak is possible and it doesn't take much to cause an annoying hanging idle.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

1) Please verify that your "choke" lever is fully off. If that's on, your idle will race. Yes, this is unlikely, but ya gotta ask.

2) If it's classic "hanging idle" as others have surmised (most likely explanation), you won't need to actually open and rebuild the carbs. You only need to remove them to fix your problem (not so bad a problem, especially if you have pod air filters instead of the original airbox). Pull the carbs and inspect the rubber boots that go between the carb and the engine. One or more of the carb boots may be cracked and letting air in, causing the lean condition. The fix is to replace the carb boot and the o-ring seal. The other problem may be only a bad o-ring seal between the carb boot and the engine. The fix is to replace the o-ring. If you gotta replace one, you might as well do all of them and be done with it! The o-rings are cheap.

You can even test for leaky carb boots without pulling the carbs. With the engine warm and racing, spray some carb cleaner on and around the carb boots and see if it affects the racing condition. Attach the little straw on the spray nozzle and direct the spray to one boot at a time, across the boot rubber and along the line where the boot connects to the engine. This is a lot easier than pulling the carbs off the engine to diagnose your problem. Wear some safety glasses when spraying.

Good luck!

Comment

Your bike should idle at less than 1000 rpm, after the choke is off.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Okay so what I got out of all this is to make sure all my routine maintenance is done and replace my air boots, my carb o rings and my o rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X