Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre electrical problem!

Hi everyone!
    My GS300l just died in a very very odd way... first it lost the brights, then the headlight, THEN, it would only run with the turn signals running and it being in high rpms, but only when the turn signal blinks on... it will still start too. I'm not even sure where to start on this one, but it does run with when the turn signal light comes on (just during its on phase though). The frame of the bike is reading 12 volts, so i'm thinking a short? i just don't get why it would work only when the blinker comes on. And how might i test for and then trace it if it is a short? Or does anyone have a wiring diagram for gs300l?? Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM.

No wiring diagram needed, it's rather simple.

Any time you have strange things going on, it's probably a GROUND issue.

And, ... it's not a "short", it's an OPEN.

Since you say the frame has 12 volts on it, it is apparently NOT connected to the battery negative terminal.

Check your ground wires, I'm betting you will find one loose or missing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome to the forum.The frame is ground. Put your negative meter lead on the battery negative and positive meter lead on the frame. What do you read? It sounds like your R/R is allowing too high a voltage and burning out lights, the stator is soon to follow if that is the case. Go through the stator papers, and check out the system. http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Sounds like the turn signal is supplying the ground when it's turned on allowing it to run,
        I'm in the camp with the other Steve, floating or disconnected ground.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          No wiring diagram needed, it's rather simple.

Any time you have strange things going on, it's probably a GROUND issue.

And, ... it's not a "short", it's an OPEN.

Since you say the frame has 12 volts on it, it is apparently NOT connected to the battery negative terminal.

Check your ground wires, I'm betting you will find one loose or missing.

I have to agree with Steve you have a grounding problem, check and clean them all
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thank you all for the quick reply! I'll check all the grounds and test the lights to see if their burned out or just not supplied. I'll let you know what i find! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X