No announcement yet.

'82 GS550L - Senior Project (Father/Son) Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We really do need an update on this project.

Comment

So yesterday my dad and i power-washed the frame and engine.

Hoping to paint; The engine, frame, fenders, gas tank, and exhaust pipes. Does anyone know the best way to prep and paint the engine and exhaust pipes? i will be checking for comments as much as possible. Hoping to be done with the whole bike by christmas, should be a LOT of work. Thanks guys.

Comment

Great job. Like those plugs.

Just a note: You might want to pull the oil drain plug to see if you got any water in the crank case. There's a "weep" hole under the starter that opens into the crank. I know I had water get in the motor through that hole. Just as a precaution, you may also want to pull the valve cover and check it as well. Any water sitting in there will rust the cams.

Onward!

Comment

Today we got the bike down to just the frame. No wheels. No forks. Just the frame on a lift! :P fantastic. however, it was too dark to take a picture so I will upload one tomorrow...I hope. We took off the rear brake drum and this is what it looked like:

Can this be saved? I was actually thinking about figuring out a way to make the rear brake a disc brake to match the front brake. Does anyone know a mod that i could possibly use to do this? Please let me know. But dont worry. take your time, i have PLENTY to do before i get to the brakes. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
            Great job. Like those plugs.

Just a note: You might want to pull the oil drain plug to see if you got any water in the crank case. There's a "weep" hole under the starter that opens into the crank. I know I had water get in the motor through that hole. Just as a precaution, you may also want to pull the valve cover and check it as well. Any water sitting in there will rust the cams.

Onward!
            Thanks for the tip. The oil drain plug was still in the bag marked "oil drain plug" and we pulled the valve cover, stator cover, clutch cover, and timing cover.

Tiny little bits of rust on some of the stator gears, but the rest looks good.

now to figure out a way to get the old gaskets off (both sides) without leaving little shreds of paper in the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
              Just a note: You might want to pull the oil drain plug to see if you got any water in the crank case. There's a "weep" hole under the starter that opens into the crank.
              I am not so sure about this. That is merely the top end of the "mystery hole" that most people see at the bottom end first.

It actually goes straight through, to drain anything that might collect in the starter cavity, but should not have any access to the inside of the crankcase.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Busy week - I'll help Tanner out with an update.
                Got the primary nice and clean

Tanner and his mentor spent some time cleaning the wiring

All the easy stuff ground off...

Part of the lesson is about safety - goggles, long sleeves, respirator, gloves ... to start blasting the tricky spots clean

The better part of 50 pounds of Black Diamond grit on the ground, and almost all the paint off the frame.
                The $18.49 Campbell Hausfield blaster from Tractor Supply Company works pretty good.

- Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I am not so sure about this. That is merely the top end of the "mystery hole" that most people see at the bottom end first.

It actually goes straight through, to drain anything that might collect in the starter cavity, but should not have any access to the inside of the crankcase.

I stand corrected.

Hmmm....well then I wonder how I got water in the crank case? I had everything else plugged up tight.

Comment

you guys are inspiring me to do a complete rebuild of my bike!!

Comment

Looks great there basket case. Nice job on the frame. Learning some valuable skills. Chicks dig a guy who knows how to sand blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Qhergt View Post
                        you guys are inspiring me to do a complete rebuild of my bike!!
                        Do It! This project has been SO much fun! Dont get me wrong its a LOT of work but this is absolutely my passion and I love motorcycles! This bike, when I'm done with it, will definitely be the Coolest one in Columbus Georgia! I'm glad I have sparked the interest I have in motorcycles, in someone else! If you do decide to rebuild it, please post a link in this thread and i will GLADLY follow you! Thanks for your post!

Comment

Getting the paint booth ready. The mentors' son went to school for auto body work, and is coming over this weekend for a crash course in painting. Or maybe we'll just rattle can bomb it.

Comment

Paint!

Painting.

Comment

Stylin'! ow keep them pictures coming its cold outside.

Comment

Awesome. Your son will cherish these memories.
                                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                                X