cant get stator cover OFF!! 82GS650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get stator cover OFF!! 82GS650g

I have scratched this web site high and low and could not find a person with this issue...

I have:
    - taken off shifter
    -taken off the plate that covers the shifter
    -and finally taken ALL bolts from the stator cover it self
    -i even loosend the big bolts on the bottom of case near the exhuast pipes to see if that would help.. no results

NOTE** this could be the first time it has EVER been taken off or attempted to be taken off.. super sealed from time?? maybe?

its like the cover is stuck on i have tried to pry/hit/kick/hammer etc.. the cover will not budge??!!

anyone ever had this prob?

i have to be carefull prying and trying to get things between the case and cover in fear of ruining the case it self and making it unable to ever have a good seal again...

Any ideas? im the second owner not sure if the guy before me jimmy rigged it or what please help!!!

Thanks -Raines

Hi Raines

I have not had to remove that cover myself but I seem to recall reading here int he past that there is some magnetic force involved in that cover.

try this http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...r+cover+magnet

Tom

Comment

I recall having trouble with mine too...I thought a few shots with a rubber mallet would pop it right off. OHHH NOOOO
      I think what got it was putting a putty knife in the edgewise and tapping it in gently with a hammer. Then, tapping it around, along the gasket to start to break the seal.
      I am not sure if it is a magnetic thing....personally , and with no knowledge if thats possible, I really dont think so. However, there are a few steel locator pins along the perimeter of the cover that help align it, and some other shaft/pin thing in there that I cannot remember what it is. Point being is that it has to come strait out pretty evenly all around.
      Take your time, use some PB Blaster and work the edge gently all around.

Comment

To get the stator cover off, you just have to remove the stator cover bolts- don't go loosening other stuff on 30 yearold bikes. The magnets in rotor are grabbing the metal core of stator- it must be pulled straight off. Yes, the old gasket is sticking, so break seal CAREFULLY with putty knife- don't gouge it- then tap cover with rubber mallet to persuade it to leave.
        Make sure you clean gasket surfaces real well before putting on new cover gasket.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What the others have said is correct and I won't contradict but add one other idea. Using a thin flat object, slide it into the cover just enough to break the gasket part of the seal. Then using the rubber mallet, lightly tap around the stator cover while you are trying to pull it away at the same time. Sometimes, it's nice to have an extra set of hands helping as that magnetic force is pretty strong. Once it gets about a half inch away from the case, the cover will pull off very easily.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, you are fighting about 10-15 lbs of magnetic force in addition to the fun of loosening up the ancient gasket.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

It will come off keep working at it, I some how pulled mine of my 700 with one arm in a sling. I was very determined...

Comment

wow guys thanks to all and for the help i owned a buell previously and was on the buell xb forum and noone on that site would help out for anything.

so thanks again it has all been help full im going out now to give it a shot hahaha wish me luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                  Yep, you are fighting about 10-15 lbs of magnetic force in addition to the fun of loosening up the ancient gasket.
                  +1

The magnet is surprisingly strong and having a mummified gasket on there doesn't make it any easier.

Comment

ok one more thing to ask sorry..

- just got the sator on and i bought it from elctrosport people swear by it; however all the wires that connect back to the bikes orginal harness are all one solid yellow color with no color striping??

-My question: do the new stator wires have to be hooked up in a certain order, and does it matter which wires are connected to the bikes original wires, Will i blow my whole electric system ? once i start it ? Or can i just go RANDOM and hook and go ?

- really hope theres no specific order even though it makes logical sense to have an order these wires have no color coding stripes so im hoping for the best here!

Thanks again for all the help -Raines

Comment

There isn't a distinction between the three stator wires. They all go to the r/r. Speaking of which, if the r/r is going bad, it can burn up the stator. It would be good to check it to avoid burning up the brand new stator. Read through the stator papers here: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Comment

stator wires

Originally posted by raines45 View Post
                        ok one more thing to ask sorry..

- just got the sator on and i bought it from elctrosport people swear by it; however all the wires that connect back to the bikes orginal harness are all one solid yellow color with no color striping??

-My question: do the new stator wires have to be hooked up in a certain order, and does it matter which wires are connected to the bikes original wires, Will i blow my whole electric system ? once i start it ? Or can i just go RANDOM and hook and go ?

- really hope theres no specific order even though it makes logical sense to have an order these wires have no color coding stripes so im hoping for the best here!

Thanks again for all the help -Raines
                        So I just replaced my stator yesterday with an Electrosport unit (83 1100ES). Luckily, my stator cover came off fairly easily, but it did have a surprisingly strong magnetic force.

So my new stator had three wires leaving the stator, and at the other end were 5 connectors .

All it was, was 2 wires each split. Look at the colors, you can tell which ones split into 2 connectors.

Your r/r has 3 yellow wires. In any order, ensure you connect one each of the colors leaving the stator to each of the three r/r wires and you'll be all set.

Be sure to do a very good clean up of the mating surfaces when you put the cover back on. Use a new gasket, clean both sides of the connection (case cover and case). If everything is nice and clean, you don't need any gasket sealer (which makes the next time very difficult to remove and clean.)
                        Last edited by gs scott; 08-12-2012, 12:46 PM.
                        Scott
                        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                        sigpic

Comment

how to do a stator install

Comment

Make sure you hook a voltmeter up, once the bike is running at Idle Speed.
                            If you still have a voltage problem...you're R/R is bad.

Comment

ok cool good advice from all that should conclude my wild question asking behavior for the time being hahaha!!

Thanks again everybody have a good one.

-Raines

Comment

Working...
                              X