"New" 1100G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New" 1100G project

Here is my first motorcycle, my first BIG bike project, and my attempt to fix the problems I created!
    What I plan on doing:
    Replace/Repair the wiring harness
    Oil change
    Grease the Drive shaft
    Replace the tires (maybe add bigger tires?)
    Replace the brake pads
    clean carbs
    clean airbox
    rejet carbs
    4 into 1 aftermarket
    drag bars

Thats all for now, I initially was going to take asthetic aspects of the cafe and bobber mods and go that direction but after riding Suzi for about a month I wanna keep some of the stock integrity. Thanks to Bike Cliff I have found walk through's that are going to be a great help. Any tips and hints are always appreciated!

and here is the bike after my lapse in electrical judgement!

Unfortunately, the wiring harness for the '82-'83 1100G is NLA but,
    the harness for the '80-'81 models is still available.
    Perhaps they are similar enough to get you going?
    Scroll down to the bottom of this parts list: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2151
    Perhaps you might even find a good one on Ebay?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Unfortunately, the wiring harness for the '82-'83 1100G is NLA but,
      the harness for the '80-'81 models is still available.
      Perhaps they are similar enough to get you going?
      Scroll down to the bottom of this parts list: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2151
      Perhaps you might even find a good one on Ebay?

Eric
      Looking at the pics of the fuse panel area, I see some differences from my '80. Different routing, and some different connectors. For all the changes you'd make, you may as well rehabilitate yours or one from eBay. I see yours hanging loose, but I can't tell if you've modified it. If it's all there, I'd just clean the connectors and replace what's worn.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well the purists don't like it but I put a bigger front tyre on my GS1100G. I got the fattest tyre that would fit, and the handling is great.

Also, I rewired mine from scratch as the harness on mine was toast. It's not that hard to do, esp if you are as anal as me. In fact there are a few things that can be left out of the schematic. I redrew my wiring diagram by just deleting all the bits I didn't need and there was only about half left by the time I deleted the clutch safety switch, the sidestand safety switch, the gear indicator lights, the weird stator wire that went to the handlebars....

I LOVE my GS1100G. It is a great looking bike and it wouldn't be difficult to make your bike look more classic without doing anything that you couldn't male stock again. Just switching to a chrome headlight, smaller gauges and indicators would make it look more classic without being too radical.

Comment

Originally posted by jward1989 View Post
          Here is my first motorcycle, my first BIG bike project, and my attempt to fix the problems I created!
          Any tips and hints are always appreciated!
          It's a terrible bike... one of the worst they ever made. If I were you, I'd find some sucker in say, Florida that you could unload it on for $100.

Belated welcome, wiring can be challenging. I have a thread here where I used some aftermarket fuse blocks for my Blue 1000G if that will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            It's a terrible bike... one of the worst they ever made. If I were you, I'd find some sucker in say, Florida that you could unload it on for $100.

Belated welcome, wiring can be challenging. I have a thread here where I used some aftermarket fuse blocks for my Blue 1000G if that will help you.
            Or say, Nevada?

BTW, the wiring harness currently in my '82 1100/1200G is from one of my '81 1000G parts bikes.

Eric

Comment

As it turns out when I took off all the fairings and stuff I found a rats nest of a wiring harness and I damaged the ignition switch. So with some help from Old Skool I got a simplified wiring diagram and threw her on the bike just to see is she would still start. Nope. So instead of my initial ideas of patching her up and getting her back on the road I am looking at a long, long, long ground up "restoration/modification" project. Pics coming soon.

Comment

If you need period-correct wiring connectors, check out this place:
                Vintage connections

Between the Sabre and the GS/GSX-G I have bought a lot of stuff from him, he is a great vendor.

Comment

Isn't Joe Whelan in your neck of the woods?

Comment

Working...
                  X