Possible Frozen Pistons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Frozen Pistons??

So I've been trying to start my bike since I've been restoring it and when I go to turn it over the starter just catches and clicks and then does nothing and then all the wires get hot and then I see some smoke so I stopped that.

I've cleaned all my connections and stuff already and I've pretty much determined that my pistons are stuck/frozen

I was wondering if anyone has any tricks or anything that might help me turn my bike over would be greatly appreciated. I've already been spraying PB Blaster down the spark plug holes to help to try to un-freeze the pistons.

If you take off the ignition cover on the RH side of the engine, there should be a 19mm hex nut you can put a wrench on so you can try to turn over the engine that way. Don't mess with the smaller hex screw, only use the bigger one, and always turn the engine clockwise.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks I was already planning on doing that actually after I let my PB Blaster sit on the pistons for a few days

Comment

Sounds like you've already removed the spark plugs (PB blaster). Can you see the top of one the pistons? Is it hitting a valve?-->Is the timing correct?
        1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
        1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Yes I can see the tops of both pistons and I don't think that the valves are hitting the top of the pistons because how could the timing be incorrect if the bike only has 511 miles on it?

Comment

Originally posted by 82GS300L View Post
            Yes I can see the tops of both pistons and I don't think that the valves are hitting the top of the pistons because how could the timing be incorrect if the bike only has 511 miles on it?
            If some hack remove the cam chain tensioner or botched up the engine in some other way. Very possible with old bikes unless you know their past history.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It doesn't sound like stuck pistons to me... But I can't honestly say I would know it if I saw it!

Have you checked the wire all the way to the starter? See if it is shorting out on the starter motor cover and losing voltage between the solenoid and the starter motor. If is shorting out, you'd get some hot wires, not enough power to turn the crank and some smoke.

Don't ask how I know

There starter gear that turns the starter clutch could also be jammed up under your stator cover.

Definitely try to turn the engine by hand under the timing cover first though...

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
                It doesn't sound like stuck pistons to me... But I can't honestly say I would know it if I saw it!

Have you checked the wire all the way to the starter? See if it is shorting out on the starter motor cover and losing voltage between the solenoid and the starter motor. If is shorting out, you'd get some hot wires, not enough power to turn the crank and some smoke.

Don't ask how I know

There starter gear that turns the starter clutch could also be jammed up under your stator cover.

Definitely try to turn the engine by hand under the timing cover first though...

Thanks I didn't even think about checking to see if the wire going to the starter is shorting out because the wires do get hot and there is some smoke when I've tried to turn it over so I will check that!

I just started school again so I'm 3.5 hours away from my bike but I'm going home this weekend to pull the right side cover to see if I can turn the motor over manually because I didn't have any time when I was home for the Baltimore Grand Prix!!

Question though? How do you get the starter motor cover off without pulling the head? Because I've looked at that before and I didn't see any other way to do it.

Comment

This may sound bad but is the bike in gear? can you work the clutch and disengage the engine from the transmission?
                  If it's locked that hard you may have no choice but to tear it down. Even if it frees up, the cylinders are going to be scarred and you might break the rings.

If it's only got 500 miles on it (for real) it would be worthwhile to tear it down.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks I didn't even think about checking to see if the wire going to the starter is shorting out because the wires do get hot and there is some smoke when I've tried to turn it over so I will check that!

I just started school again so I'm 3.5 hours away from my bike but I'm going home this weekend to pull the right side cover to see if I can turn the motor over manually because I didn't have any time when I was home for the Baltimore Grand Prix!!

Question though? How do you get the starter motor cover off without pulling the head? Because I've looked at that before and I didn't see any other way to do it.
                    The starter cover has two bolts on top. Take those out and you'll have to wiggle it out underneath the cam chain tensioner. Definitely don't have to take the head off or anything like that. Don't worry about that though, I thought I head to take the "cylinder head" off instead of the valve cover off when I first went to check my valve clearances!!

Baltimore? Are you in the DC area? I might be able to swing by and help take a look sometime in the next few weeks.

The "right side cover" is your timing cover. Under there you will see a 19mm hex head washer. Try to turn it forward (clockwise) slowly. You'll get a vague idea of how the ignition system works while you're in there too.

PM me if you need anything. I might have some pictures or something that may be of use for a point of reference or something.

Good luck!

Comment

Gee, I don't know.

How could the pistons possibly be frozen in an engine that only has 511 miles on it?
                      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I left my bike sitting for 25 years. I runs great now, but I'v put a lot into it.
                        Mine was seized also. Pour in a good quantity of Blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil, let set for several days. Remember, if you get it to turn over change the oil before trying to start it. I had mine on the center stand in low gear and pulled on the rear wheel to get it to turn over. That gives you a lot of mechanical advantage to over come the rust. Chances are that the rings will wear out quickly after you do get it started. Mine lasted about 6 months. I wound up putting a Big Bore kit in just to get past the pitting in the bores.
                        The bores accumulate condensation after sitting so long. This is what causes the pitting in the bores. Hang in there, it's all repairable.

Comment

20 years sitting outdoors in a maritime environment? Yeah, it's gonna be stuck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

put in JB BLASTER

wait 2 days.

put it on center stand .

put it in 3rd gear and work the rear wheel back and forth

and if it doesn't break loose.. you need to rebuilt/replace.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

PB Blaster is the best OTC penetrant you can buy. If you want the best penetrant, get on the web and buy some Kroil. +++++1

Comment

Working...
                              X