Possible Frozen Pistons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kroil is what I have used for years.

It is the best, by far. It penetrates to 1 millionth of an inch!!
    I have a gallon that has lasted me for a loooong time.
    I have given some to a number of friends and they have been amazed.

Where to buy the best rust penetrants on the market and other industrial products by Kroil. Formulated to help you get tough jobs done.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
      The starter cover has two bolts on top. Take those out and you'll have to wiggle it out underneath the cam chain tensioner. Definitely don't have to take the head off or anything like that. Don't worry about that though, I thought I head to take the "cylinder head" off instead of the valve cover off when I first went to check my valve clearances!!

Baltimore? Are you in the DC area? I might be able to swing by and help take a look sometime in the next few weeks.

The "right side cover" is your timing cover. Under there you will see a 19mm hex head washer. Try to turn it forward (clockwise) slowly. You'll get a vague idea of how the ignition system works while you're in there too.

PM me if you need anything. I might have some pictures or something that may be of use for a point of reference or something.

Good luck!
      Ok thanks! Next time I'm home ill try and "wiggle" the starter cover off even tho there doesnt seem to be much wiggle room from what I remember.

Nope not DC area but I'm in between Fredrick and Baltimore off 70 in Howard County.

I used your tip but I ended up taking off that whole timing cover instead just to poke around a bit and I ended up being able to get the pistons free'd up after soaking the tops of the cylinders with a combo of PB Blaster and Marval Mystery Oil.

So I was able to free it up last time I was home it is spining freely now and the starter has no problem spinning it up!!!!!!

Now I just have to rebuild and jet the carbs... oh what fun! lol

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        20 years sitting outdoors in a maritime environment? Yeah, it's gonna be stuck.
        Yea the guy I bough it off of bought it from the original owner who rode it the year he got it and then parked it which is how it has sat until I got it.

Comment

Glad you're progressing positively!!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Glad to here that you have it loosened up. You should have it running in no time.
            Oh yes, Marvel oil is what I use in my air tools because it smells good compared to other oils. It is a light oil for use as a top oil in automotive engines. I am not sure you should run it in a motorcycle since there are detergents in it. Not good for the clutch plates. That goes for STP, Bardol, and other motor additives with detergents in them. Somewhere here in the forums is an excellent article on oils ect.

Comment

Working...
            X