83 gs850 breaking up@5000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs850 breaking up@5000+

Hey Guys, New to the forum,but really digging all this info you can't find anywhere else. I have an 83 gs850 that I just put on the road after 6yrs sitting. Carbs have been redone and coils replaced. The bike runs great until about 5000rpm then starts breaking up and sputtering under any type of heavy throttle. Compression checks out ok...any ideas? Thanks for your time. PM

try riding the the bike with the petcock on prime

Comment

Breaking up at high revs was the first sign my stator wasn't charging the battery anymore (shorted to the case). Make sure the bike is charging (finds the Stator Papers on the home page of the GSR, outside the forum), then make sure you have good voltage to the coils. It could be a failing "ignitor" too.

I also have to ask what it means for the carbs to be "redone". Bitter experience has taught us that a lot of carb cleaning projects fail to get them truly clean.

There is very likely more than one thing wrong. Methodically make sure everything is right, and you will find everything that's wrong. The final result is a bike that runs well and you can trust. Doing less may result in a bike that gives you a fresh headache every few months.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah, what is "carbs have been redone" and by whom? new to you bike? don't rely on PO's info.
        Is there a filter element in air filter box? or do you have a non stock intake system- i.e. pods ?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X