UP west of Keweenau Penninsula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UP west of Keweenau Penninsula

I'm planning to be in Houghton for a couple of days next week, and thought I'd explore to the west (this time).

So far, my plan has focused on checking out the Porcupine Mountains State Park shoreline drive (107) and the sights around it.

Anything else I should consider while in the neighborhood?

You should consider posting plenty of pics, PLEASE!
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Brockway mountain pass(124 I think) Fort Wilkins, Gay Michigan and its bar, "The Gay Bar" which specializes in footlong hot dogs & sells T-shirts that say "I had a footlong at the Gay Bar". Of course in the porkies you MUST go to Lake of the Clouds.

Comment

Yep, did the road through Copper Harbor and the Brockway last year (outstanding, BTW), and will definitely make a stop at the Lake of the Clouds...There are a couple of other scenic points in the Park, itself which I'm hoping to visit.

Pics will be posted upon my return next week.

Any other spots I should hit?

Comment

I take Rte 28 annually into Marquette, one of my favorite places in the world. Was just there last week for the Ore 2 Shore mountain bike races. Wherever you end up, a pasty should be on your must eat list, along with a November Gale Pale Ale from Keweenaw Brewing.

Comment

Thanks rteam2. I always stop for a pastie in Munising on my way through, and if time allows, pick up some frozen for a friend back home. The ale sounds like something I'll need to sample!

Comment

Well, I was able to get there and back (1,300 miles round trip), and it is BEAUTIFUL there! Definitely a place I'd want to see again, and way too much to see in a day. I hit the Lake of the Clouds lookout (must see), and the Summit Peak lookout (nice, too...it's a 1/2 mile walk to get there, and it's not handicap accessible). The Presque Isle falls were not large falls, but there were several tucked into the trail (also alot of hiking to see them all). The best part (to me) was the South Boundary Road inside the park; some of the best twisty, tree-lined, road I've ridden. Hardly any traffic on a weekday, although the color change isn't far off (actually starting now), so traffic will probably increase some.

Some pics aren't great, and my phone ran out of power, so this is all I could get http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...20Park%202012/

Oh, and the connecting Road from Presque Isle Falls south into Gogebic County SUCKS!!! There were no less than 20 spots where they cut the asphalt and filled it in with gravel right across the whole roadway. Looks like they either are waiting to patch them at some time in the future, or just ran out of money to do it. Thankfully, most of these cuts were not in curves, but 1 or 2 were at the beginning of one, so stay sharp if you must travel County Rd 519 toward Wakefield!!
              Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pic's and especially the video's.
                Video's help to bring the experience to life.

Eric

Comment

Nice pics, thank you. Sounds like you had a great trip. The U P is very special place.
                  Come on down to Manchester on Sat Sept 15. Then, meet us in Stockbridge on Sun, Sept 16 for the "All Clubs Day". We will be on the North side of the town square. Cheers, John

Comment

John: I will try to get back to the Stockbridge show again this year. I'll remember to look for you this time!
                    Brian

Comment

Brian, I am hosting a ride from my house in Manchester on Sat the 15th. You are close enough not to miss it. Meet some good guys, bbq, beer.

Comment

Okay (allowing that I get my leaky-petcock replaced) bike is down at the moment. I'll let you know when I'm back to riding the Beasty.

Comment

Working...
                        X