Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking Valve Clearances: Near Disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you talking about dude. Getting the cams off to inspect and clean the valves and buckets is the plan is it not? So I took off the cam chain tensioner and the next step is those covers.

And i super appreciate yalls help but why are you gonna post something like "oh man you are probably ****ed" or "this is scary" I mean trust me however much it scares you it's ten times worse for me right?

So I'll just get pictures and not touch anything. I heard we are supposed to use photobucket. To post pictures. So once I make that I just link the pictures?

Comment

Kent has mad skillz, but he's a complete sociopath. Ignore him. In case you weren't certain, Nessim and 90125GS also have mad skillz, listen to them. I don't mean to slight anyone else here, we have many many knowledgeable and helpful members here.

P.S. I'm just a neophyte, if I say something and Nessim contradicts me, listen to HIM.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Tom is correct about Suzuki recommending the use of Vice Grips to hold down the cam. I use this method when installing the cams, but not removing them, but it wouldn't hurt to do so assuming there is room.

I suspect you scored the edges of your cam lobes pretty good, and generated some metal debris. A few different people here have done the same thing and the cams, while somewhat damaged, ran fine afterwards. What to do is your call. Good used cams are easy enough to find, and cheap, so don't loose a lot of sleep either way. The 8V 750/850/1000/1100 cams all interchange so there is a lot of stock floating around.
        Last edited by Nessism; 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is close visual examination of the lobe faces enough to verify they are okay? I'm assuming when people worry about bend valves the concern is that the lobe tips come down and bend the valves - I guess that could damage the lobe in a bad way. Is there enough reach to achieve contact without the shim and bucket in place though?

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
            What are you talking about dude. Getting the cams off to inspect and clean the valves and buckets is the plan is it not? So I took off the cam chain tensioner and the next step is those covers.

And i super appreciate yalls help but why are you gonna post something like "oh man you are probably ****ed" or "this is scary" I mean trust me however much it scares you it's ten times worse for me right?

So I'll just get pictures and not touch anything. I heard we are supposed to use photobucket. To post pictures. So once I make that I just link the pictures?
            I think people are trying to save your bike from yourself. Not busting balls but I think this is getting outside your skill level a little bit and we are scared for your engine

Can someone close to this guy's location stop by to help?

Comment

He still has no location.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                He still has no location.
                I think he mentioned Charleston South Carolina but adding his location to his information would be helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  Is close visual examination of the lobe faces enough to verify they are okay? I'm assuming when people worry about bend valves the concern is that the lobe tips come down and bend the valves - I guess that could damage the lobe in a bad way. Is there enough reach to achieve contact without the shim and bucket in place though?

Allie,

You can't bend valves by not having shims installed. No worry there. The only issue is the cam scoring and resulting metal debris.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Allie,

You can't bend valves by not having shims installed. No worry there. The only issue is the cam scoring and resulting metal debris.
                    And as you said earlier Ed, just to try and reassure ekabil, very often it's nothing to get too worried about - this position is easily recoverable.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thank you nessism and hampshirehog for your reassurances. I think its recoverable too, I am hoping not to have to install new cams because that is definitely out of my skills. but taking covers off, cleaning cams, smoothing them if necessary, that I think I can handle. this afternoon Ill take pictures if it isnt raining

Comment

He's near Charleston in Mount Pleasant. Looking at the registry I see one other member in Mount Pleasant and two in Charleston. Everyone else is some distance away. Anyone want to help help out? I would, but I am a bit further away. Ray
                        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Allie,

Oh yar, oops. I'm imagining the valve stems exposed, but he didn't take the buckets out.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
                            I am hoping not to have to install new cams because that is definitely out of my skills. but taking covers off, cleaning cams, smoothing them if necessary, that I think I can handle.
                            No reason to think that new cams are outside of your skill set. You are already in the process of removing a cam (or two), cleaning it and re-installing it.

The only difference with new cams is that when you reach down to get your cam off the bench, you will pick up a different cam.

All the other steps remain the same.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

true Steve. But I wasn't planning on actually removing the cams, just lifting them enough to clean out the buckets. I dont have the vise grips needed to install them back on if I take the chain off, and removing the chain seems complicated. I looked it over in the manual and it said that the chain can fall into the engine? sounds...dangerous. honestly with all the knowledge on this board I think a monkey could rebuild the engine, its just a matter knowing what NOT to do. for me anyway

Comment

if the chain falls in you can fish it out with a coat hanger, no big deal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X