shinko 712 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shinko 712 review

I have 2 gs850, I have had bt45 on both always had the recommended size 120/90-17, they worked ok in the dry, but sucked in the wet, and in WA. state i ride in the wet a lot.
    What I did not like about them, was when I was going into a curve in the road it felt like I was riding a knife, the bike when leaned over felt like it wanted to fall over to quickly. which was annoying.
    So I ordered some shinko 712, they did not have the 120 so I just got the 130. They fit just fine. Went for a ride what a difference, the bike is so much easier to corner, it just rolls into the corner without it feeling like it going to fall over. I have not tried them in the wet yet, suppose to have rain showers the next couple of days. I replaced the front tire with a matching shinko stock size.

Thanks for the review. Most of us have spent a couple extra dollars and gotten the higher-rated 230 Tour Master, it wll be interesting to see how the 712 compares.

If memory serves me, that tread pattern is similar to a Kenda Challenger. I know there is more than a tread pattern to the way a tire feels, but I have never been impressed with the Challenger. Handled OK, but did not last very long.

Please keep us updated concerning wet handling and tire life, if you would.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
      I have 2 gs850, I have had bt45 on both always

What I did not like about them, was when I was going into a curve in the road it felt like I was riding a knife, the bike when leaned over felt like it wanted to fall over to quickly. which was annoying.
      This feeling was with new tires or the old ones with considerable miles on them?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I put a set of Shinko 712's (100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear) on my '80 1000G in June. I've logged 2400 miles in rain, dry, and dirt/gravel roads with no load, load, and 2 up riding and burying the 85mph speedo. Because of their deep tread design they grip well in the rain and very well on dirt roads. They are wearing very little, nice and rounded and I push them pretty close to no chicken strip. I bought them for $70 for the pair, with free shipping and a nice set of 3 tire irons. They were a bargain and I'm happy. The only drawback is they lost traction on hard slow cornering while scraping my exhaust/pegs once. Not sure if it was the tire losing grip or the exhaust and pegs unweighting the rear first. I had to use my right boot to keep from losing it.
        You should be happy with them especially if they were on sale. I've used the Shinko 230's too but unless you need a V rating there is not much difference. You're 850G will struggle to do 120+mph anyway.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
          I put a set of Shinko 712's (100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear) on my '80 1000G in June. I've logged 2400 miles in rain, dry, and dirt/gravel roads with no load, load, and 2 up riding and burying the 85mph speedo. Because of their deep tread design they grip well in the rain and very well on dirt roads. They are wearing very little, nice and rounded and I push them pretty close to no chicken strip. I bought them for $70 for the pair, with free shipping and a nice set of 3 tire irons. They were a bargain and I'm happy. The only drawback is they lost traction on hard slow cornering while scraping my exhaust/pegs once. Not sure if it was the tire losing grip or the exhaust and pegs unweighting the rear first. I had to use my right boot to keep from losing it.
          You should be happy with them especially if they were on sale. I've used the Shinko 230's too but unless you need a V rating there is not much difference. You're 850G will struggle to do 120+mph anyway.
          Please tell me where you bought both tires for $70, free shipping and 3 tires irons!!!!
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Please tell me where you bought both tires for $70, free shipping and 3 tires irons!!!!
            Sorry, sale is long over. Back in winter Motorcycle-superstore.com had the promo. I bought some gloves and grips also to bring the total up to $100 for free shipping and tire irons. Cost of tires were $70. I didn't need the tires in Jan but hey for that price and all the GSes I have had I couldn't lose and I needed a good set of tire irons.

Comment

I am looking also. Here are the best prices I have found so far with free shipping over 89$

Comment

Yes to the keep us posted on them.Just put a set of 712's on my 78 1000 project.Not scrapping pegs so it looks like I'm good to go here!

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                  I am looking also. Here are the best prices I have found so far with free shipping over 89$
                  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ViewCart.aspx
                  Those sizes fit an old GS450 but not the bigger 750,850,1000,1100. So add another $12 for the rears. Still a great deal.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                    Those sizes fit an old GS450 but not the bigger 750,850,1000,1100. So add another $12 for the rears. Still a great deal.
                    Those are the size tires on my 1100e right now. I would have guessed them to be right. My bike has a 19 front and 17 rear. Hmmm

Comment

Those are the size tires on my 1100e right now. I would have guessed them to be right. My bike has a 19 front and 17 rear. Hmmm
                      Your link showed 100/90-18 and 110/90-18? Maybe my cookies changed it since I happened to be looking for these sizes last week on their website?

update...ok cleared cookies and now cart shows empty so I would have to select sizes again. But no matter, they have good deals on these Shinko 712's.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ViewCart.aspx
                        can you send a link to the item itself? cart links are specific to the user's computer so when i click on that it just tells me i got nothing in my cart

edit - eager to hear more about the 712 review - i have a pair of bt-45s on my bike now, first tires i've ever rode on the GS so i have no frame of reference to compare them to. wouldn't mind hearing about what else is out there before these wear out.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                          can you send a link to the item itself? ...
                          How about THIS for the 230 Tour Master and THIS for the 712.

Apparently, the 230s are classified as "Street" tires, the 712s are "Cruiser" tires.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

on sale

Comment

OK, you got my curiosity up, so I just did a quick comparison at Bike BANDIT and Motorcycle Superstore.

I compared the Shinko 712 and the Shinko 230 Tour Master in sizes for my 850, 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear.

At Bike BANDIT's "sale" price:
                              712 is 110.24 for the pair
                              230 is 136.06 for the pair

At Motorcycle Superstore's "regular" price:
                              712 is 106.98 for the pair
                              230 is 129.98 for the pair

Motorcycle Superstore ships for free on orders over $89, the BANDIT would charge me 8.95 for standard shipping or 27.95 for Express Shipping.

Once again, I come to the same conclusion: there is a reason that the BANDIT has that name.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X