No announcement yet.

shinko 712 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve's link (M'cycle Superstore) has them priced a bit lower than BB's 'sale' prices. Probably come out even cheaper, once shipping is factored in. The 230s seem to be sporting a much more modern thread pattern....think I'll try a rear, on my bike. One thing I have noticed about the Shinkos, is that they appear to be fatter than most other manufacturers tires, for a given size. Optical illusion perhaps?

EDIT: I see Steve has beaten me to the price comparison.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

thanks for the updates on the tires Steve/kdo....I realize now my link was computer specific. For the money, the 230's seem like a great choice.

Comment

I have Shinko 712s on my GS650E. The rear wheel on that model is the skinniest I've ever seen on a 4 cylinder GS or KZ. Stock width is 110, and the only tire I could find in that size was the 712, so I bought the standard 100/90-19 up front and the 110/90-18 for the back.

These tires had about 300 miles on them when I headed off to the Red River Valley Rally this past July. I rode them in a variety of conditions.

Dry interstates at 80 mph - Great
        Wet interstates at 70 mph - Great
        Dry curves at 20-80 mph - Great
        Wet curves at 10-50 mph - Great

Those I rode with that Saturday can attest that they did the job well. Over 300 miles of HARD corner carving, and nary a hiccup. Bike braked well too, and I never ran out of tread while heeled way over.

I like 'em. I see no reason to spend more money than what these cost for a mid size GS. I do question the longevity a bit though. The rear tire now has about 3,000 miles on it, and it looks to be about half worn. I think on a liter bike the rear tire might not last as long as some would like.

When the time is right, I will replace it with another 712.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I just ordered some 230's. Expected delivery date 8-30.
          Currently I have a Kenda Challenger on the rear. Good shape but old. The front is cracked up beyond unsafe.
          I rode 40 miles in the rain today and it was NOT cool. When you have no confidence in your tires, it makes wet turns very tense.
          I have only been riding 3 years but know from a tire changes on my old bike just what your missing when riding on old junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            I see no reason to spend more money than what these cost for a mid size GS.
            I think the 230s have a higher weight rating, but don't know for sure.

Since my 850G'K' is probably heavier than an 1100GK I'll go with the higher weight rating.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI
              Well, I went back to my receipts and realized that I bought the Shinko 712 set of tires from BikeBandit for $79 last Nov and not Motorcycle-Superstore. Free shipping and free Motion Pro tire irons included in the deal and prompt delivery, along with $3 Bandit Bucks for future purchase.

Comment

I had my 712's up to around 120mph, and about 80-95 in rain.
                They didn't fly off or anything.

Comment

shinko

i put 7000 mile on my 712 150/70/17 rear tire i now have 1/2 life left of tire front still like new and no burn outs .bought this gs1100e in march and still riding it now .

Comment

I'm on my 2nd pr of Shinkos. The only problem I've had was with a front one that was out of round. I contacted them and explained the problem. Although I'd had the tire for almost a yr, it didn't haven many miles on it. I emailed them a picture of it, showing the nubs. Proof that it didn't have many miles on it. They asked for another picture, one showing a couple of holes in it. I stuck a few drills bits into it and sent them a pic. They credited the amount I paid for it and I ordered a replacement.
                    I'm sold on their tires as well as their customer service.
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

every one you have to keep tire at 33 psi in the front . my old one was cuped from the other owner .7000mile and front still like new

Comment

i'm on my third set of 712's. 2 on 1100G and one set on the 550 which is sold.

5-6K on the rear, double that on the front. KC has terrible mix of concrete/asphalt roads that are always torn up. Great tires hot, cold wet dry. Never let me down.

Highly reccomend, good rubber for our style of bike.
                        GS Score Card
                        4-400 Series GS's
                        3-500 Series
                        1-600 Series
                        1-700 Series
                        4-800 Series
                        1-1000 Series
                        2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                        sigpic

Comment

Based on everything I've read on this forum, I decide to order a set of Shinko 730's in 130/90/17 and 100/90/19 for my 1980 GS850G. Also ordered new Steering Head Bearings, and three tire-irons.

Total cost Shipped from The Motorcycle Super-Store was $182.00... Seems very reasonable to me.

Guess around 5/28 or so, I'll be able to put an update on the "What did you Wrench on Today" thread!

Comment

I have a set of 712s on my GSX400E that have about 4000km currently.
                            Had a minor traction issue last year and lowsided when breaking them in.
                            Overall they are great tires but be warned that Shinko uses mold release making them slick until it is removed.

Now that they are scrubbed in they seem to be performing very well and for the cost they are excellent value.

Comment

I ran Tourmasters on my VMax and liked them.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

My 712s felt very sticky right from the start, before they were scrubbed in. I didn't push it but they were waaaaay better than the previous tires (can't remember what they were right now). Gave much more confidence in turns and continue to perform well.

Comment

Working...
                                X