shinko 712 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked my first set of 712's.
    I ordered a new rear at the end of last season after 6500+ miles.
    The front still looked reasonable after 7500, but I thought it would be best to replace it since I plan on doing a number of events/miles with the Mrs. this year.

I ordered a new front from Motorcycle-Superstore/Amazon for $49.96 with free shipping.

Had it installed and balanced and there was a noticeable vibration at 40MPH.
    I informed Motorcycle-Superstore about it after my first ride.

Their response was "Items which have been used or installed on your bike will not be accepted for refund."

I looked through the 40 reviews and there was another person that had the same problem.

I would guess that the ex-Yokohama molds the Chinese are using for their Shinko's lurks one that is putting out a 'hinkey' product.

I will buy another 712 to replace this one, just NOT from Motorcycle-Superstore.
    I'll pay a little more for vendors that stand behind the products they sell.

I took it back to the installer and they remounted and rebalanced it and it improved a bit, the shake moved from 40MPH to 32MPH and they used less wheel weights the 2nd time. They also confirmed a defect near the "0" mark where they noticed an bit of irregular rubber bulge.

Just something to watch for.

Comment

Just replaced my front with a Shinko podium on my 1150. I love it, seem to steer very well no fall in, smooth transition thru corners. Excellent traction and very confidence inspiring. to be honest the front had been shot for a couple of seasons and I was nursing it last year and being very careful with it because of this so it maybe skewing my review.
      Also this is the first front Ive ever had that needed no weights, it is perfectly balanced,
      I recommended them to my brother in law and he just bought a new set yesterday I hope he likes them as much as I liked my new front.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        The 230s seem to be sporting a much more modern thread pattern....think I'll try a rear, on my bike. One thing I have noticed about the Shinkos, is that they appear to be fatter than most other manufacturers tires, for a given size. Optical illusion perhaps?
        Finally bought a 230 Tourmaster and had it mounted last week. The Avon RR I took off still had decent thread, but had developed the dreaded cracks/cuts that plagues Avon tires, at multiple areas on the carcass (last Avon tire I'll buy). Really liking the Shinko so far, seems to be a a sticky compound, and works well with the RR front. And yes, the Shinko appears to be noticeably wider than the old Avon, of the same size.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Love these Shinko 712's so far, only had the tire maybe 2 months, and i have put like 4k miles on them, with 0 issues so far.
          I have had my CB650 laid down enuff to scrape the pegs once or twice, and the tire held very strong.

I got caught in a bit of rain the other day (with no rear fender lol) on the hwy, and i was able to accelerate with confidence to stay away from idiot cage drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            Finally bought a 230 Tourmaster and had it mounted last week. The Avon RR I took off still had decent thread, but had developed the dreaded cracks/cuts that plagues Avon tires, at multiple areas on the carcass (last Avon tire I'll buy). Really liking the Shinko so far, seems to be a a sticky compound, and works well with the RR front. And yes, the Shinko appears to be noticeably wider than the old Avon, of the same size.
            What size tire was the cracked AVON? 130/90-17?
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I have a 712 being mounted on the rear wheel this week. I hope for good things from it. For years I used Maxxis tires exclusively. They never gave me any cornering concerns, and had decent wear to them. They seemed to be all the tire my bike and I ever needed. Maxxis stopped making street tires recently, and the bike shop recommended Duro tires. I wasn't super impressed with them, the rear always seemed just a bit squirelly in hard (for me) cornering. A couple of times it's danced out noticeably when leaned over. More so solo than 2 up. We'll see if Shinko offers improvement.
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I'll tell ya, there is NOTHING like bringing a thread back to life AFTER SIX YEARS.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I'll tell ya, there is NOTHING like bringing a thread back to life AFTER SIX YEARS.

Well, for anyone wanting a review of Shinko 712s, this is the only thread with that in the title under the heading "Buyer Reviews".

Comment

Well, since this thread came up I may as well add a comment.

My 850 is on it's second set of the Shinko tourmasters. The mileage I got from the last set was pretty good for an inexpensive tire, at about 9k miles if memory serves me correctly.

I want to try something different next time though. The front has a groove right in the center that may be causing handling issues. It's a zig zaggedy groove, but it's right in the center and I think its the reason for the squirrly front end. I notice it on cement highways with rain grooves in the direction of travel and cracks or any uneven asphalt as well.

I haven't noticed this on any of my other bikes and the 850 is the only one I've run Shinko 712's on. The Michelin Road 5's that the FJR wears has grooves and siping that go acrossed the tire so I'd really like to find something similar for the GS. Maybe in the spring I'll shop around as this set has a lot of tread left.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yep, nuttin' wrong with this thread resurrection.

I've scientifically and thoroughly abused both the Shinko 712 and the 230 on my GS850G in all conditions, and to be honest I can't tell the difference from the saddle. They seem to last the same, too, which is not very long, but they work great wet or dry and behave themselves as they wear; no funny handling when they get thin.

I'm getting a consistent 3,000 miles out of a set. That fits my use case perfectly; I usually ride the GS about that much per year, so for short money I get to enjoy a fresh set of buns annually. (Normal people normally get a lot more mileage with these, double in many cases. I'm hard on tires.)

I put most of my miles on my other bikes these days. But if it the GS were still my only bike and I was piling on 10,000 -15,000 miles a year or more, then I'd invest in more expensive but longer lasting tires with a lower cost per mile.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just ordered Shinkos for the Sportster. I've used them on my VMax and FZ1. They may not last as long as the Michelins, but at the price, I can replace them again and still be less than one set of the Scorchers.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

And you will get fresh tires more often.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            And you will get fresh tires more often.

That is actually a really good point. How many of us have ridden tires long beyond their ideal lifetime doing superslab trips, as they squared away and lost some of what makes fresh tires feel so much more vivid.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              That is actually a really good point. How many of us have ridden tires long beyond their ideal lifetime doing superslab trips, as they squared away and lost some of what makes fresh tires feel so much more vivid.
                              Yep, that's a large slice of the reason I've been running Shinko 712 or 230 on my GS850G for the last few years. I don't pile the miles onto my GS850G nearly as much these days compared to my other bikes, so it normally works out perfectly where I end up with fresh buns every spring.

Of course, I change my tires myself. So I can order them cheap and spend a little quality time in the garage at my convenience. If you had to pay for mounting, the extra cash and inconvenience might shift the equation.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Not too much. $30/tire for mounting and balancing.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X