No announcement yet.

Here's one for you - Front brakes seizing but then worked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistons were fine. Will try and post a picture here in a bit.

Just got a quote on stainless steel lines from H-E-L USA (found via the site). Sounds like it's about $182 for all four (3 line front, 1 rear). That' with 10% discount (for being a forum member).

Pretty comparable? I saw a thread where one of the members built their own. Can't seem to find it again, and not sure how feasible it is for me to do.

I've been looking online at different sites for a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1979 GS 850 but not having much luck with my particular year...

Comment

Completely clean the insides of the calipers..ESPECIALLY the groove the seal sits in, new seals, clean the entire master cylinder properly. Ive tried stainless lines and quite honestly ( to my sense of feeling them ) theyre pretty much a money opit wastage as far as I am concerned. New rubber lines will do you just fine and cost you less.but thats my opinion only. You want sparkles and farckles then get the stainless.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, it may depend on the individual bike. On my GS it was night and day.
        Nate, that sounds a bit high. IMHO, rear ones are a waste of money, I seldom use my rear brake. BassCliff has both a list of vendors and the method to make your own. I paid ~$100 for my front ones on my GS, for all 3 lines. There are lots of vendors, I got Galphers. Goodyear is a popular brand.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Chuck, it may depend on the individual bike. On my GS it was night and day.
          Nate, that sounds a bit high. IMHO, rear ones are a waste of money, I seldom use my rear brake. BassCliff has both a list of vendors and the method to make your own. I paid ~$100 for my front ones on my GS, for all 3 lines. There are lots of vendors, I got Galphers. Goodyear is a popular brand.
          Building your own with Earl's fittings is also a viable option, though I recently heard of problems with a vendor that was popular here. It made a huge difference on my bike too. That said, I have seen other GS brakes with stock rubber lines that still have a good feel on the lever. Still not as firm as the stainless, but good.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks all!

I'm going to do some more research on the brake lines. Can't decide if spending the $$ on SS is worth it figuring how much I will probably realistically ride up here in the wet NW... Especially given the recommendation to continue replacing them ever few years.

As promised, here's a picture of the piston:

Here's another one of the inside caliper, cleaned up a bit:

On the master cylinder, the top "hole" is nothing. Cleaned it out a bit more with a pipe cleaner and it doesn't go anywhere.

Thanks!

Nate

Comment

You don't replace the SS lines. Only the rubber ones, because they stretch out.

Comment

Ah cool, thanks. That does change things a bit...

Comment

AFA the 79 M/C rebuild kit, I have only seen it one place. AplhaSports? I don't remember, but perhaps someone here who does know can chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by natejelovich View Post
                    On the master cylinder, the top "hole" is nothing. Cleaned it out a bit more with a pipe cleaner and it doesn't go anywhere.

Thanks!

Nate
                    Yes, it does. There are two holes the pass through to the main bore. At the bottom of one of them is a tiny hole, about 0.5 mm. Congealed brake fluid will form a plug in this hole that looks like a blind bottom of the larger portion of the hole. Keep working at it with brake cleaner and a piece of wire from a stiff brush. Mine took a few doses of brake cleaner and digging before I was able to get the wire through. The fact that yours doesn't go through explains your brake locking up.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

For your SS Brake lines have a look here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

and here

get genuine Suzuki parts for the rubber seals and such, don't use kits

I would suggest to get one extra seal for front and rear, if your like me, and you just happen to tear one....

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        Yes, it does...
                        Dang... ok will do. Thanks!

Comment

Looks like building my own might be best option:

Comment

If you want the priciest parts on the planet, go to BikeBandit.
                            Otherwise, search elsewhere. Let me check out a couple of places for you. (I am waiting on tech support, which takes forever.)
                            Do you want all 4, or just the front 3?

Comment

Dang it! You know all...

That would be super helpful, thank you! I've been checking around and it's a whole new world out there.

I'm thinking just doing all four... might as well put the upfront investment into it if the price makes sense.

Thank you!!

Comment

O.K. You have a one year bike, so we may have to take some measurements and have some custom lines made up. I'll let you know. I take it the bars are stock?

Comment

Working...
                                X