No announcement yet.

Here's one for you - Front brakes seizing but then worked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I do not know all, I started dealing with BB in the late 90s when I was riding an 81 KZ750E. Easy to deal with, but expensive and slow.

Comment

Believe so, but can't say for sure. Not sure what you mean by one year bike, but I was going to take some measurements and look around.

Comment

The 1979 GS850 was the first 850 manufactured. It changed significantly in 1980. Changes included - no more kickstarter, CV carbs, different brakes. The last one is the kicker for you. I have heard good things of this company AFA quality and price, but you will have to do the measuring and calculations yourself. If you had an 80 and up you might be able to find a pre-made kit, but not for your particular model year. Here is the listing, give them a shout
        If I did my cyphering correctly, you should be able to get all 4 for $106.75.
        They also carry 4 colours. I put black on my GS, clear on my GPz.

Comment

Great, thanks! If that price is right, that's a great deal.

Wow, didn't realize '79 was the first year and they changed a bunch of things the next. Definitely might explain why it's been difficult to find just about any part in that year.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm anxious to get it up and running again!

Comment

Yup. It is still a great bike, with all the good things that makes the 850 so popular, it is just that in 1980 Suzuki made all those changes for the entire GS line, the 850 included.
            You should see all the folk that want that kickstarter, only to find out it is impossible to move over.

Comment

Yeah get your lines from Raymond @ Rennsport. A real nice gentleman and fast turn around. Both myself and Gatekeeper got ours from him and yeah the price can't be beat. I think mine came in at $108, all in and that was with 2 special swivel fittings that I needed.

You will not be disappointed.

Looks like you have things under control. good work sir.
              Spyug

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

Is PM'ing him via eBay the best way to go? I've been looking for some contact info or directions to order and not seeing much.

I figure I'll just PM him and go from there.

Comment

he has a toll free number and email address

here

Comment

Great, thanks! Once I went to his site (that you sent me) I realized I had already emailed him today.

Perfect

Comment

Its a long weekend up here so don't be upset if he doesn't get back to you until Tuesday.

Spyug

Comment

Update

So a quick update.

I got my stainless steel brake lines from Apex brakes and they look and fit great. Raymond was great to work with and the price was great too:

I also ordered front brake caliper piston boots from http://www.onlinecyclepart.com. I followed the parts fiche and ordered per the specs, but when I got them, they are different than what I currently have on my bike and don't work. It's like they're for a different model...

I followed up with them and will see what they say.

They should look more like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GS750-GS85...#ht_961wt_1085

Bummer.

Comment

The parts in the picture are for '80 and up bikes.

That makes me wonder, ... are you SURE you have a '79?

I ask that because production for the '80 model year started in about August of '79, so the production date on the VIN plate would show '79, but it would actually be an '80 model. Look for the production date, let us know.

A couple other things that would be clues:
                          - Do you have VM carbs or BS carbs? The VM carbs have a sort of domed rectangluar top that is held on with three screws. The BS carbs have a large flat circular top that is held on with four screws.
                          - Do you have a kick starter?
                          - Are your brake disks solid or slotted?

There are other diffrerences, too, but they are not real obvious to a quick visual observation.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            The parts in the picture are for '80 and up bikes.

That makes me wonder, ... are you SURE you have a '79?

I ask that because production for the '80 model year started in about August of '79, so the production date on the VIN plate would show '79, but it would actually be an '80 model. Look for the production date, let us know.

A couple other things that would be clues:
                            - Do you have VM carbs or BS carbs? The VM carbs have a sort of domed rectangluar top that is held on with three screws. The BS carbs have a large flat circular top that is held on with four screws.
                            - Do you have a kick starter?
                            - Are your brake disks solid or slotted?

There are other diffrerences, too, but they are not real obvious to a quick visual observation.

I was wondering if my calipers were from a different year. Didn't think my entire bike was!

I'll have a look at the VIN plate. It's pretty hidden right? Behind the handlebars?

- I don't know about the carbs. I'll have a look and see if I can tell...
                            - I do have a kick starter
                            - Brake pads are slotted

Thanks for the insights!

Comment

Sounds like a mix n match of a few different years... Got a picture of the brakes?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is what I got for now... I'll try and post some more later if these don't help.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X