Master link clip on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master link clip on?

Those of you that run clip-type masterlinks, go check and see if the clip is on there. Mine wasn't, not the first time I've seen this happen...
    Yes, secure
    93.33%
    Missing, wow I can't believe it
    6.67%
    Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

If you safety wire it, and check it often there will be no surprises.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      If you safety wire it, and check it often there will be no surprises.
      Yup. Mine is safety wired on as well. Cheap insurance.

Comment

I did and it was, was still on there that is.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

There is an option missing from the poll.

"What's a master link?"

Yes, of course I know what one is, just haven't used one for over 32 years.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've never thrown a master link clip and I've never safety wired them on, I must be doing something wrong.

Comment

Safety wire was what I was going to do. Is it acceptable to run safety wire without the clip?

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                Safety wire was what I was going to do. Is it acceptable to run safety wire without the clip?
                I would not under any circumstances (well maybe an extreme emergency)
                use just safety wire without the clip. You're risking catastrophic failure and tempting fate to boot.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Never lost a clip, ever.
                  Put it on in the right direction, with the right side out, and you should never lose one...
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Didn't think I could run just safety wire, either. I can guess why it popped off. Even though the tension has always been maintained, I found that the chain was barely rubbing the guard at the master link. I spaced the chain guard out a bit to remedy this. Anyway, the new clip is already installed, beveled edge against the end plate and the closed end facing the direction of travel.

Comment

Yep mine is safely rusted on!

Comment

Have owned two different bikes and tried using clip style both times on right with well maintained chains. Threw them both.
                        On the second bike the only reason i even tried was the shop ordered the wrong type chain as i wanted a continuous chain and the only thing they could find for a 630 was a rivet and ordered the clip type by mistake i took it with a discount and wish i had not.
                        I don't trust them and never will. I have more important things to worry about while on the road and will never put one on any bike i own again!!
                        Have found i don't mind taking the swing arm and front sprocket cover off to change a chain as it gives me better access to things that need cleaned anyways.

Comment

I have had clips come off, and chains fail because of it, safety wire prevents this from happening again. I have never had a safetied clip come loose. It also makes it very easy to check, just look for the link with the shiny safety wire.

Driveshafts are fine sometimes, but they fail too, and only come on hugely overweight motorcycles for hugely overweight people.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On my 16th chain drive bike, over 200k miles. Lost 1 clip because I installed it backward. No other losses. An incorrectly installed clip will come off. A correctly installed one will not. I suspect those that lose them do not make sure that the clip correctly snaps into both slots, but IDK. I do know that the o-ring chains are much more difficult to snap in; I had to purchase a specialized set of angled vice grips pliers to make them snap in correctly. If you do not hear and feel them snap into the grooves, they are not installed correctly.

Comment

I've only had this problem with the large 630 pitch chains on the GS(X)... My fix was to clean the joining link and clip, then put a blob of silicon rubber on the top. Leave it overnight to set, and all is good. Never liked the idea of an extra bit of wire on my chain.

And YES - I did check the clip was on correctly - and it would still work itself off.

Or use a rivet type master link (the ones you peen over with a hammer).

I vaguely recall reading an article about it years ago - apparently it's quite a common problem on the big pitch chains.

Never been a problem with my Ducati.
                              '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
                              '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
                              '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
                              '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
                              '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Working...
                              X