TMS gel battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TMS gel battery

I did a search here and on the web but couldn't find an answer. My issue is that the TMS gel battery in my Bandit reads 12.89 volts but is too weak to start the bike, will turn over slow and not fire the bike up without a jump. It was fine for the last 800 miles but just started having this issue this past week. I've removed and cleaned connections with no difference. I also trickle charged but my charger shows green and fully charged after only a few minutes. When I put the jumper cables on from a car battery(spare out of vehicle) to the gel battery posts, it fires right up. The instructions on the gel battery's cover say that you can remove cover(plastic panel) and add lead battery type acid to extend life. Normally you never add more acid, just water to a liquid battery after the initial charge when new. Should I just add distilled water or more acid to see if it helps the gel battery to start the bike?...or time for a new battery? I thought these gel batteries were better!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM.

You need to get it load tested. Chances are you do not have enough current available to start the bike.

Comment

How old is the battery?

Usually, by the time they show voltage, but won't start the bike, it's simply time to replace them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't know how old the battery is. Will auto parts store load test? When running it reads a steady 14.5v so the charging system checks out.

Comment

How about the starter? It will turn easier with a car battery they have alot more cranking amps. If the starter is dragging, might also be a problem.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            How about the starter? It will turn easier with a car battery they have alot more cranking amps. If the starter is dragging, might also be a problem.
            Well, coincidently I had 2 issues. While testing today, my starter suddenly just made a whirring sound instead of cranking the engine. In my research on banditalley.net forum I found that the Bandit was known for the starter clutch bolt coming loose. Did the suggested fix....leaned the bike against the wall to avoid draining engine oil, removed crankcase side cover, found bolt WAS loose, removed, cleaned, applied Loctite red, torqued it back down, and eliminated that issue.
            I just researched load testing and will do that next to see if the voltage drops while cranking to determine if time for a new battery.
            I don't think the starter is dragging and spins freely.
            I'm just curious about the label instructing to add acid to extend battery life??
            Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Did a load test, I think.

Put voltmeter on Bandit 1200S gel battery and got a 12.79v reading with bike off, then turned key on with lights on and it immediately dropped to 9.7v

Tried same with GS1000G standard liquid battery and went from 12.8v down to around 12.1v and held there.

So I assume there will be some drop with load but should hold at around 12v..... so the Bandit gel battery failed by dropping to under 10v?
              Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2012, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                Did a load test, I think.

Put voltmeter on Bandit 1200S gel battery and got a 12.79v reading with bike off, then turned key on with lights on and it immediately dropped to 9.7v

Tried same with GS1000G standard liquid battery and went from 12.8v down to around 12.1v and held there.

So I assume there will be some drop with load but should hold at around 12v..... so the Bandit gel battery failed by dropping to under 10v?
                Yep, that' a decent small-load, quick test. A "load test" at the auto parts store or battery shop will put a bit more than the 8-10 amps on the battery that your bike just did, and the battery will probably fail even more miserably.

Time for a new battery, Lurch.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Time for a new battery, Lurch.

Done. New AGM battery getting initial charge as I type.

$62 with old one exchanged.....

Comment

You do not pre-charge an AGM battery. Slap that puppy in and go riding.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      You do not pre-charge an AGM battery. Slap that puppy in and go riding.
                      Some you do. Comes dry, add acid in pre-measured container provided, wait an hour, then charge 2-3 hrs for full charge, then put into use. Uses gel material that absorbs liquid for no spill and uses pop on seal that you never remove after. Bike fires right up now and took Bandit for a night run tonight.

Here's a daytime photo of the beast before redoing the seat, changing the tires and grips. Disregard my photoshop of the "number"!
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

That is a gel battery, previous generation from an AGM. Still better than a standard lead acid battery. Enjoy.
                        Nice bike, btw.

Comment

I'm looking to update my acid battery on my '82 GS1100GL to an AGM. I found two that appear to be exactly the same (both made in Asia with a one year warranty), with one being half the cost of the other. Both have free shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the two?

Scorpion ($66)
                          The Scorpion YTX14AHL-BS motorcycle battery is a high-performance, sealed, non-spillable AGM battery. Features 210 CCA, 1-Year replacement warranty!

UPG ($35.48)

specs for UPG are here:

Comment

The UPG is NOT an AGM battery. It is a gel battery, which requires filling, sealing and charging.
                            I would spend the extra $ and get a true AGM battery that is GTG right out of the box.

Comment

With the heavy price difference, I figured something must give. Not having a kickstart on my bike, I'll go with the Scorpion AGM at batterystuff so I know I'll have spark.

Thanks!
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X