Any suggestion for mounting saddlebags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestion for mounting saddlebags?

My bike project is coming along nicely and I'm pretty much on to accessories (how we like our accessories, lol).

Here's the scoop. I picked up some pelican style bags and would like to mount them to my bike somehow. I was able to bend/create the brackets on my own with a 4 ft piece of metal I picked up from home depot.

Before I go painting it I mounted it onto my bike quickly to ask the group here how I might affix the bags to the mount.

Optimally I'd like to...
    a) keep the bag watertight (i.e. any screws would need to be well caulked or have rubber grommets.

b) if possible I'd like a way to easy remove the bags from the bike in case I want to tote them around

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to mount the bags to the brackets???

Here are my photos:

Why not built a bracket that frames the case ( a bit like a basket), then attach it to the brackets you have built already. Drop the case in when riding, lift it out when necessary. I think one strap of the same material you already used going around the case and one underneath to hold it up.

Comment

Hmmm, I can give that some thought. The existing bracket and cases add enough weight. I'd have to think of something a bit lighter to make the basket out of.

I had been considering something drilled thru the back of the case itself but that would jut out all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
        Hmmm, I can give that some thought. The existing bracket and cases add enough weight. I'd have to think of something a bit lighter to make the basket out of.
        Adding hard bags will add weight. There is nothing you can do about that. If you want the lightest and most removable option, get a set of soft-bags and be done with it.

If you want to go the hard bags route, I'd rethink your brackets. The way they are now, the bags will flex quite a bit, and probably twist your metal bar around.

Ideally you need to support the bag both at the top, and the bottom. And have a piece that connects the two bags together and will keep them from flexing inward. The passenger peg bolt provides a good place to mount the lower bracket. The rear piece can be a U-shape square tubing that bolts up to the side frame.

Having access to a welder will allow you to make up a frame out of hollow square tubing. This will be much stronger than simply a flat bar.

As far as attaching the bag to the frame, carefully drilling it, and using bolts with a neoprene washer, on both sides, can give you the waterproofing you desire.

Good luck with the project.

Comment

Working...
        X