Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pods, Pipes, Panic! (Help! Your Bike has Pods)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the info!
    I never tried pods on the GS. (I did try them on the EX-500 a few years ago, but went back to the airbox.)

I am a little afraid of pods, because of the first ones I encountered:

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      Done.

BTW - if anyone has more details on the CV side of re-jetting, rock on in either thread. I am too dumb to understand butterflies and single idle mixture screws. Plus, the availability of Dynojet kits just drives me into a jealous rage.
      MC, great write up, all I can see missing is the quality of pods as a function of how easy to tune issue

As for CV carbs, I think one needs to understand how they work to properly tune them. The whole issue of the venturi principle and the need for proper vacuum goes right past most people. So ,getting the slide to rise at the right time and meter fuel properlly is ignored
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        Done.

BTW - if anyone has more details on the CV side of re-jetting, rock on in either thread. I am too dumb to understand butterflies and single idle mixture screws. Plus, the availability of Dynojet kits just drives me into a jealous rage.
        A properly installed Dynojet kit will get you in the ballpark, although the mains they include in the kit tend to be too large.
        AFA idle mixture screws: Tuning the idle mixture on CV carbs

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          There's more to it. Some guys think richer is faster, some wouldn't know a proper running GS if they saw one, Some ride slow as molasses, some never back off the throttle, some are content with 20mpg and others demand perfection and will keep going with their tuning until they get it. Much like an oil, tire, or Harley vs real motorcycle thread, there is too much room for personal misinterpretation.
          This is true. I just teed up this thread after so many other posts of

"I just put pods on my bike and it runs like ****. Sheesh, I bumped the mains up a size, so WTF?"

or

"Want to put pods on, do I need to re-jet?"

etc.

Comment

on GS CV carbs i have preached a million times..no air box then purchase a st. 3 jet kit and be done.
            its so simple a cave man could do it.
            same questions over and over...put on emgo pods and now bike bog's above 4k...bla bla bla.

you will NEVER EVER get the carbs 100% without a jet kit..
            its all about the shape of the needles...shim stock needles all you want but it will never be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              on GS CV carbs i have preached a million times..no air box then purchase a st. 3 jet kit and be done.
              its so simple a cave man could do it.
              same questions over and over...put on emgo pods and now bike bog's above 4k...bla bla bla.

you will NEVER EVER get the carbs 100% without a jet kit..
              its all about the shape of the needles...shim stock needles all you want but it will never be correct.
              He speaks truth, folk, listen to him. Emgo pods bad, Stage 3 Dynojet kit good.
              I went on a GSR rally to Robbinsville and a GSR member had trailered in a really nice Yoshimura replica that he had just purchased. Very tastefully done, but it had emgo pods on it. He ended up putting it back on the trailer after the first day because it just did not run properly.

Comment

Since I didn't feel like making a new thread I have a question. Is there a difference between some kits sold on different sites? Let me give you an example: this kit sold on Z1 vs. this kit sold on eBay. With the Z1 "Dynojet" kit it seems like they simply have the parts that are in the Dynojet kit rather than the actual kit. While a few bucks cheaper, is there a difference?

Comment

it appears to be the same kit...just one is out of the box?????
                  what difference do you see?
                  be aware a lot of ebay sellers sell old stock kits..not saying anything is wrong with it but there is differences..
                  i have old stock kits brand new from the 80's 90's.
                  i don't sell at current price either.
                  nothing GS left just several kawi 1100 shafty st.3 kits and a FJ1100 st.1 complete with filter and K&N hat...lol
                  st.1 CBR600 kit to.

Comment

it appears to be the same kit...just one is out of the box?????
                    what difference do you see?
                    be aware a lot of ebay sellers sell old stock kits..not saying anything is wrong with it but there is differences..
                    i have old stock kits brand new from the 80's 90's.
                    i don't sell at current price either.
                    nothing GS left just several kawi 1100 shafty st.3 kits and a FJ1100 st.1 complete with filter and K&N hat...lol
                    st.1 CBR600 kit to.
                    What looks to me like a spring, some rubber o-rings in the kit (picture) from ebay. But, then again, it is probably just a stock dynojet kit picture(Just a random kit picture, not necessarily one for the GS). I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between say the kit bought from Z1, and one bought straight from Dynojet. As Z1 is the cheapest, I will probably buy from them regardless I am just curious

Comment

whoever you buy from just ask if this is the most current kit available from dynajet.
                      i believe the kits are still dated(manufactured date).
                      and yes a lot of seller use (file photo's)
                      going off of memory..i don't believe the GS CV kits come with diaphragm springs....GOING OFF MEMORY.
                      i know GSXR/KAT/BANDIT and such did(oil cooled engines).

Comment

whoever you buy from just ask if this is the most current kit available from dynajet.
                        i believe the kits are still dated(manufactured date).
                        and yes a lot of seller use (file photo's)
                        going off of memory..i don't believe the GS CV kits come with diaphragm springs....GOING OFF MEMORY.
                        i know GSXR/KAT/BANDIT and such did(oil cooled engines).
                        Done! Just sent an email to Z1 (even though it is quite late). I also asked if they could check the manufactured date of the kit if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
                          Done! Just sent an email to Z1 (even though it is quite late). I also asked if they could check the manufactured date of the kit if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks for the info
                          to be honest i don't believe there has been any updates in several years and you may have to open up and break the seal to check.

Z1 won't sell old stock so no worries.
                          ebay sellers..those are who you need to ask questions.

Comment

I should mention, that on my EX I did have a stage three jet kit when I briefly had pods (K&N), but I went back to a stage two when I ditched them.

I thought I have read on this forum that guys have successfully used some brand of individual air filters with the stage three kit, but I may be totally mistaken, since I haven't tried it myself.

I probably have only paid attention to the warnings about staying with the stock airbox!
                            Last edited by gsgeezer; 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

AFA updates, the Dynajet kit for my GPz is exactly the same as the one they currently stock. It is labeled Kerker because it was packaged with my Kerker header, but it is Dynajet through and through. Date purchased: summer 1984.

Comment

With a Stage 3 you want either K&N or APE pods.

Comment

Working...
                                X