Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pods, Pipes, Panic! (Help! Your Bike has Pods)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don plesser racing out of Missouri sells K&N look a likes that are great.
    2 1/4" offset ovals..
    pretty cheap and i have used these for years from many different vendor's..
    i just have had problems with emgo's small size and odd internal shape and i just don't like foamie's looks...personal preference is all.
    i bet Z1 sell's the same ones that plesser does.

Comment

Bump for the two new threads this one covers
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I put a Jama Laser 4-1 on my otherwise stock 650G and dutifully raised the jets two sizes. It got worse mileage and throttle response was bad. I then called Jama and they said go back to stock, we designed the pipe to work with stock jetting.
        Well what do you know, it runs much better with stock jets. YMMV but a well designed and built exhaust might not need extensive modifications. I plan to get a Jama for my 1000G, I think they are worth the extra dollars.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Newbie question:

Pods off eBay and Vance and Hines 4-1... How screwed am I really? VM carb as well

Bought it not running, project and it is a project, no idea what PO had in mind but I would guess bobber although he included original tank as well as a pNut tank. Wiring is a mess, but other than 25yrs or maintenance and jetting issues, hmmmm. Help?

Comment

Originally posted by Klay23 View Post
            Newbie question:

Pods off eBay and Vance and Hines 4-1... How screwed am I really? VM carb as well
            Shouldn't be screwed at all, VM carbs are very easy to tune.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Klay23 View Post
              Newbie question:

Bought it not running, project and it is a project, no idea what PO had in mind but I would guess bobber although he included original tank as well as a pNut tank. Wiring is a mess, but other than 25yrs or maintenance and jetting issues, hmmmm. Help?
              Get some better pods

The Ape ones or K&Ns seem to work the best, the cheap ones seem to cause more problems

Pilot jet- maybe up one size, main jet to about 110, raise the needles one notch
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Piping in to share my re-jetting experience.
                82 GS650G rejet. Went to pods. Left the stock 4-2 exhaust.

Used a Dynajet kit. I ~HAVE~ experienced a noticeable increase in performance while in the powerband (5.0 to 6.5-7.0k). I am rocking the BS-32mm carbs.

However, instead of drilling OR gluing I merely replaced the main jet and the needle. I left everything else intact. [This was Steve's idea. There is a good possibility that he is a genius]---the idea was that if I WANTED to go back to stock....I could.

At a bench sync, bike started and ran a little lean at the Dynajet's spec, so fuel mixture screw was adjusted during a vacuum sync. The 650 runs like a little dream now.

I opted to ~not~ confuse issues further, and bought a good set of K&N filters. Although the K&N website claims that their filters will work for the 850 and up, their RC-0984 pods fit an '82 650G perfectly. I found them at a discount here: http://autoplicity.com/products/3804...FYFhMgodjnAAEg

So, here's one re-jet success story.
                1982 Suzuki GS650G - "Blackbird"
                sigpic
                Progressive Fork Springs; Gas piggyback shocks; Electrosport Stator; Dyna 3 Ohm Coils; Shindengen SH775 Series Regulator/Rectifier; Avon Road-Rider Tires; Salty Monk Front Brake Mod [CBR Aftermarket Rotors, Concours Calipers / Master Cylinder]; Steel brake lines
                [Much Love to my wrenching Jedis: TheCafeKid, Steve, Dogma; without you, Bird's awesomeness would remain unrealized.]
                http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f3ca6.jpg

Comment

So I have a gs650gl from the grave. I was informed to come here and look for a person known by "the ghost in the machine". He said there is a cheap option for guys with pods and re jetting. There is a 4 to 1 exhaust on the bike now

Comment

hehehehehhehe

Comment

It's spring again and we're tired of answering the same questions, so

READ THIS thread!
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Bump

For the new posters asking these questions
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

MisterCinders Thanks for all the info and the humorous tone! What this thread is lacking to me is examples of what has worked. I know there will still be tuning involved, but as a noob I would love to be able to start with a known combo so all I have to struggle with is the actual tuning.

Comment

Noob!

Hate to beat a dead horse, but after reading this thread, I'm still left with a question since it seems we have mixed feelings on this. I have. 78 gs750. Kerker 4-1 and K&N pods. I want the most power I can from that by jetting the carbs. Now some have said the bike will run better with stock jetting and the exhaust. Some said only go up a size. Most of the threads are older as well. Just curious as to if all this info is still current and valid. Thank you.

Comment

I have K&N pods and CV carbs (BS32), and a Dynojet stage 3 kit on my GS550. I put the bike on a dyno this weekend in an effort to get things right, and for the most part, they are. Pilots are Mikuni 45s, needle clips are 4 positions down, and the mix is good throughout the throttle. The main is too fat (DynoJet 144), but I order the next two sizes down and expect to have that worked out soon. The air/fuel ratio is a straight line until fully on the main, then veers down into rich, as expected.

In theory, everything should be pretty good. The bike runs very well throughout the throttle (again, it's rich at wot), but the idle is still unpredictable. It just rises and falls by a few hundred rpm, and will occasionally drop off and stall.

Am I just stuck with this, due to the limitations of the cv carbs? Do I just set my idle a little high and live with it? At 1600+ it won't stall, and at 2k it's nicely responsive. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GScaferacer View Post
                                Hate to beat a dead horse, but after reading this thread, I'm still left with a question since it seems we have mixed feelings on this. I have. 78 gs750. Kerker 4-1 and K&N pods. I want the most power I can from that by jetting the carbs. Now some have said the bike will run better with stock jetting and the exhaust. Some said only go up a size. Most of the threads are older as well. Just curious as to if all this info is still current and valid. Thank you.
                                I have a Kerker and K&N pods on my 550. VM 22 carburetors, which are just about identical to your VM26es except for the bore. Stock main jet is 80, I have 112.5 in there now, it runs well wide open. Smaller mains didn't quite do it. I'm also at 6,000 ft elevation, if I were in Chicago the mains would need to be bigger still.

You probably won't need that much of an increase, but one main jet size larger isn't even close to being enough.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X