Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 47 Fuel Tank is Returned

Day 47

The fuel tank came back today completely renovated. So good to see some real progress.

See my blog posting here: Fuel Tank is Returned.

Here she is:

This is the section of the tank that they cut out in order to shot blast the interior.

And the "before" shot.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Day 47 Airbox Dismantling Problem

Day 47

Trying to get the airbox apart.

Can anyone help? Does the top half of the airbox come apart from the bottom half? I want to repaint the metal bottom half but there are 2 screws holding it together so I don't know what to do. You can't access these 2 screws from the top because the plastic moulded part is in the way.

Here is the blog post referring to the problem: Airbox Dismantling.

These are the screws causing the problem:

Can anyone tell me if the top part can be taken off the bottom half. If not how to refurbish the bottom half with the bottom half still installed?
      Last edited by londonboards; 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Can't help you as I haven't tried pulling mine appart.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I took a look at mine and there a 4 screws holding the two pieces together. The side you show in the photo has two screws in the recesses. On mine the rubber boots for connecting the carbs are still in the plastic air box, but it looks like if you pull the boots for #1 and #4 the screws will be reveiled.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Day 50 Airbox Dismantling part 2

Day 50

Thanks to some feedback on this brilliant forum, I was able to find a way of getting the airbox to break apart. The top part being plastic and the bottom half being metal. I want to respray the metal half so I needed to get the top half off and there didn't appear to be a way of doing it - or was there?

Here's the blog update: Airbox dismantling part 2

and some of the pics:

Never thought I would be able to get that sorted. Thanks guys.

Now we can strip the paint, prepare the metal and send for painting. I have to decide on powder coat or rattle can now.

Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Perfect Charlie. I didn't think the boots were a seperate component. I thought the top part was one unit. But as soon as I released the copper rings and pulled the boots out, just as you suggested, the screws were revealed. Bingo. Now the parts are apart. Thank you.
              Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Day 51 Air Suspension

Taking a look at the air suspension today. I always thought it was original equipment and it does carry a Suzuki sticker. It's just that I have not seen any other GS1100 G examples with this type of suspension:

Link to the blog: Restoration Blog

Not sure if I need to get these refurbished or if I should just change them out for a new pair.

Greetings
                Last edited by londonboards; 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM.
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Day 54 Exhaust Bolts part 2

Day 54 Exhaust Bolts Revisited

I am still there with the exhaust bolts. I have been applying my mixture of 50% brake fluid and 50% cellulose thinners. I am putting it on twice a day. I have also got a nice hex bit for my wrench which gives me quite a good bite on the bolt.

Here's the blog entry: Exhaust Bolts Revisited

I have also ebay purchased a small gas blow torch which I will start to use in the next couple of days.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

As you have got allen bolts in there you can give them a good sharp smack with an impact driver; the shock of the smack will help free off any corrosion.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Day 55 Exhaust Bolts OUT!

We finally got them all out. I think I can write a book on this now.

Here's the blog entry: Exhaust Bolts OUT!

See that bolt on the left; that was the first one that gave me all the trouble. Looks like it has something around it on it's top half (bottom half on photo as bolts upside down). You can also see on the other bolts how far my concoction has penetrated. At least half way. That's 50% brake fluid and 50% thinners. Someone told me to try that at some stage and it works!
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Result and a nice write up. That bit of patience, persistence and thought has saved you a whole heap of grief.

Studs on the rebuild or stainless allen bolts with plenty of copperslip?
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Wow! This is gonna be quite the project, good luck!

Comment

Cheers Hampshire.

It's really motivating to overcome a big obstacle like this. I can get the exhausts off and start on engine removal.

Now I need to find a bike ramp or one of those lifts that would allow me to lift it up to working height, take the running gear off and still be able to wheel it around the garage.

Greetings
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Great to see you get past the exhaust bolt stage. I use 50% ATF and 50% acetone for helping get bolts loose. It seems to work well.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

go stainless!

London,I'm with hampshire on this,go with stainless allen headed,Inox sell them for 60-70p each,provide a good service and should be with you in 48 hours,I used them for my GS/GSX hybrid.At least thats one major headache out of the way!,good luck with the rest of the re-build.Johnny

Comment

Working...
                                X