New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great progress

But, that corrosion may need more than vapor blasting. I had to bead blast, then vapor blast some parts to get rid of the corrosion
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Engine Strip Down (1544 days since I started)

So the engine has to be completely stripped to be blasted and cleaned up. Some thing I didn't really want to do but since I have started it, I'm glad I'm doing it; it is so bad it's the only way to go.

Crank came out nicely. Pistons were very sooty for such a low mileage machine.

But skirts pretty much unmarked.

Then the head needed to be stripped:

Now I have all the cases, head and barrels (and a bunch of other bits) ready for blasting.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Day 2,324 - The Return of Vapour Blasted Parts

OK it has been a while.

But here are the vapour blasted engine parts. Still need some sanding where the corrosion took hold but it's progress.

And a reminder of what it used to look like:

Last edited by londonboards; 12-29-2018, 01:22 PM.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Nice to see you working and posting again.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Yeah Charlie, I'm 6 years in on this one. Just got diverted by the GSXs and then I ended up with a Dyno! I've on done 300 miles on a bike this year (unless you count the 1,200 dyno runs I've made).

JAG came over for Christmas and she bump started the project again. All credit to her.
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Those parts look nice of course but hope the blind oil galley passages in the head were plugged up before blasting. I made the mistake of not plugging them on one blast job and it took me a long time before I was confident there was no longer grit in the passages. It might have been easier to just drill out the plugs and then use a brush.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Those parts look nice of course but hope the blind oil galley passages in the head were plugged up before blasting. I made the mistake of not plugging them on one blast job and it took me a long time before I was confident there was no longer grit in the passages. It might have been easier to just drill out the plugs and then use a brush.
                No they weren't unfortunately. Yes, now you have mentioned it, who knows what's lurking in there.

Do you mean in these passages?

Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Oh I've just had a look. There is piles of media down there.

This is going to be a big job. Might just get those plugs drilled out.

Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

I also made that same mistake and wow, what a PITA getting all that media out. Good thing these engines are bullet proof. Only time will tell if I didn't get it all out, but so far, so good.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                      No they weren't unfortunately. Yes, now you have mentioned it, who knows what's lurking in there.

Do you mean in these passages?

YES!!!

It shouldn't be hard to drill out the plugs and thread the passages for plugs. Or you could turn some plugs if you have a lathe. Failing that I'd get some brake cleaner down those passages because residual oil will hold onto the grit. You need to degrease really well before the grit can be washed out. Maybe try bending the shooter straw on the brake cleaner and see if you can get it up into the passages? It can be done, it just takes time and care.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 12-29-2018, 11:22 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Vapour Blasting Horror

Can't believe the stuff that's come out of my oil passageways after vapour blasting.

So I decided to drill out all the plugs in the cylinder head to expose the evil. Especially the dead end passageways.

A mate of mine, spun up some replacement plugs and I sent the engine to be painted.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by londonboards; 03-07-2021, 08:55 AM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X