1980 GS850 Sputters at High RPMS please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 Sputters at High RPMS please help

Hi everyone. I have a 1980 gs850 and a few days ago the number 1 cylinders coil wire broke at the plug connection. I was able to repair the wire and connect it to the spark plug. When I tried to ride it again it began sputtering at RPMs over about 3500 and up. BUT, it is actually faster than it was before in every gear. I have cleaned the fuel line, the petcock, repaired the wire again, and put in new gas. A day prior to the coil wire breaking, I noticed that black stuff was floating around the fuel filter so I replaced it. It ran completely fine until the plug wire broke and now it sputters but is faster. I ordered new coils for all cylinders but I dont know if this is because of the spark. I can tell that the sputtering is in all the cylinders not just number 1. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. Please help thank you and have a great weekend and ride safe!

About the bike: It is a bobber style that some redneck mechanic hacked up (im a redneck mechanic myself). That is all I know about where it originated from. It has always had small troubles here and there such as regulator and parts just wearing out, but never anything I couldnt fix until now.

- Slick

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. p1slick,

Congratulations! You have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. Be sure to properly address EVERY item on the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. (Hint: Start with a complete carburetor clean and rebuild according to the guides on my little website.) You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

wow thank you basscliff i will make sure to look thru that. So does that sound like a carb issue to you? Its just odd that it would happen right after repairing the plug wire.

Comment

Hi,

I would encourage a complete cleaning of the carbs but feel free to start off with the simple stuff, like replacing all the plug caps. They're only a couple bucks each.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by p1slick View Post
            Hi everyone. I have a 1980 gs850 and a few days ago the number 1 cylinders coil wire broke at the plug connection. I was able to repair the wire and connect it to the spark plug. When I tried to ride it again it began sputtering at RPMs over about 3500 and up. BUT, it is actually faster than it was before in every gear. I have cleaned the fuel line, the petcock, repaired the wire again, and put in new gas. A day prior to the coil wire breaking, I noticed that black stuff was floating around the fuel filter so I replaced it. It ran completely fine until the plug wire broke and now it sputters but is faster. I ordered new coils for all cylinders but I dont know if this is because of the spark. I can tell that the sputtering is in all the cylinders not just number 1. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. Please help thank you and have a great weekend and ride safe!

About the bike: It is a bobber style that some redneck mechanic hacked up (im a redneck mechanic myself). That is all I know about where it originated from. It has always had small troubles here and there such as regulator and parts just wearing out, but never anything I couldnt fix until now.

- Slick

Hi There,

Did you ever fix the problem?

I have the same problem now and need some help. I starts up and ticks over great however 3/4 - full throttle it splutters.

I have a 1986 Suzuki GS850 and a 4 - 1 pipe fitted. Standard air box.

I have fully cleaned the carbs, completely taken apart, 10 plus times including all floats and jets. Meausred the clearance on the floats. Followed the carb cleaning guide on bikecliff. Changed the fuel pipe. Cleaned the petlock, cleaned the tank, put in fresh fuel, fitted new spark plugs. I really don't know what to do.

I have also bought a colourtune spark plugs to ensure the mixture is correct. however when I completely tighten in all three air mixtures it seems to run faster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

"however 3/4 - full throttle it splutters"

As a redneck mechanic, you know that this is main jet territory, so maybe the engine is starved for fuel- restricted petcock or maybe gas tank cap is not venting nicely so bowls are not refilling fast enough.

don't use an inline fuel filter as they can cause your type of problem. The petcock's filter is adequate.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X