Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom end or Transmission KNOCK please help !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom end or Transmission KNOCK please help !!!!

I have a knock on my 1982 suzuki gs1100e 16v motor.....
    A little history about the bike and than the problem description....
    I bought the bike in non running condition, the motor was sitting for 14years but would spin fine when I turned it over. I decided to rebuild the whole motor; all new pistons rings, jugs were honed and the valves were replaced and cut. When I finished the assembly of the motor I fired it up and the motor ran perfectly fine... I drove it for the last 1000miles and the motor ran perfectly fine but the transmission always had hard time shifting, it was stiff and would always be harder to put in gear than any of my other gs motors, and it was impossible to put the bike into neutral from first gear unless the motor was shut off,,, I was able to put it into neutral from 2nd gear while it was running but it was very difficult to get it just right but it was possible to put it into neutral but not easy....
    But here comes the bad new the other day I got up to a quick start and everything was great as usual super nice power and smooth running up to 100mph but than when I decelerated I noticed a noise like a cam chain grinding against the case noise, but the noise was not coming from the cam chain area, instead the noise is more in the crank shaft and transmission area hard to tell exactly which one. When I put it into gear and put it under load it tends to start to knock as if the timing chain was super tight, I have had this kind of noise when I had the manual APE timing chain adjusted way too tight, it made a low end knock sound just like this but I know it is not the timing chain noise this time because I have an original suzuki cam tensioner and had it for the last 1000miles with no problems. But the bike still runs perfectly fine and shifts just as before, but the noise is very excessive and does not sound good at all it sounds like I'm grinding the side of the case or gears or something else. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem, I understand I might have to split the case but I don't really know what to even look for since I never worked on a transmission before....

Does it make only noise when the bike is in motion or does it do it even at a stand still out of gear?Is it coming from the clutch side?
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

it makes noise even at stand still when it is neutral or when it is in gear, its always the same noise, it does get louder when I put it under load with the clutch almost all the way out....

Comment

Once you get it apart, you should be able tell whats making the noise. Metal on metal usually leaves some evidence. I am working on my first bike transmission replacement and there were signs of what was wrong before I split the cases. Bits of broken gear on the oil pan drain plug, broken shift fork in the oil pan and when the cases were split, a completely ruined third gear. I would not run it unless you want to cause more damage.

Comment

I have not run it since it developed that noise, I was just hoping that it might be something simple so I don't have to split the case, to find out.... Spliting the case looks like it will be a lot of work, and it kind of sucks for me since I have already rebuilt the motor.... Could the conecting rod be making that noise or crank shaft?

Comment

Clutch basket or starter clutch sometimes make noise. Just guessing here as we can't hear the noise. I'd check out these possibilities before busting down the engine.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Clutch basket or starter clutch sometimes make noise. Just guessing here as we can't hear the noise. I'd check out these possibilities before busting down the engine.

Not the starter clutch, as it does not make a "knock" sound, and the fact that the noise only happens when the engine is under load rules it out, but having a loose nut/bolt in the clutch basket is possible and could cause such a sound..

This would be easy to check, and also easy to correct.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Ok, I have been bussy so I have not gotten to this, but I kind of wanted to get peoples ideas before I start striping case of the engine, so I think I will start with inspecting the clutch and if that turns out to be good than I will move to the starter cover, and move on as I go. Just mainly wanted a place to start so I don't start tearing out stuff I don't need to. Thanks for the info, I will keep this posted as I go.....

Comment

I have found the problem!!!!!! it was the rotor for the stator, the rotor.... When I took of the stator cover I did not see anyting wrong but decided to order a rotor puller tool so I can take the rotor appart to inspect it to make sure everything is good, when I got the tool I pulled of the rotor and found out that the three bolts on the back of the rotor were loose,,,,, I could not beieve how much racket these things made,.,.. it is so nice to have quite running bike again.... Unfortunetaly I lost the key today,,, wanted to go for a ride and lost my key somewhere in the house, but I guess no one can really help me with that problem LOL....

Comment

Look under the bed that's where I found mine !

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      Look under the bed that's where I found mine !
                      I found mine still in the bike on more than one occasion...

Comment

fOUND it!!! it was in my underpants drawer, no joke either..... Going for a ride with no noise now....

Comment

Working...
                        X