Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement for starter switch contact button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for starter switch contact button.

I was taking apart my starter switch for my '82 GS850GL in order to clean the contacts that had been giving me some trouble. Manage to send the button flying out. Though I recovered the button itself, I have not been able to find the contact "hat" that fits inside. Here is one listed on EBAY

I really don't want to pay all this money for what is a miniscule amount of copper. Any ideas where I can find a suitable replacement, say at a hardware store or other common location?

Let me look around I had a similar problem couple of years ago ended up buying a right hand control from a member. My starter button broke in a parking lot lucky I found it and was able to start the bike.

I think I have the copper button somewhere I'll look tonight for it if I have it I will mail to you no charge.

Comment

Wow, that would be great! If you can find it, shoot me a PM and i'll get you the details. What a pain this thing has been to me!

Originally posted by Mike Curtis View Post
      Let me look around I had a similar problem couple of years ago ended up buying a right hand control from a member. My starter button broke in a parking lot lucky I found it and was able to start the bike.

I think I have the copper button somewhere I'll look tonight for it if I have it I will mail to you no charge.

Comment

Sorry I looked and can not find it. I would look for a complete right control some one on the board should be able to help.

Comment

Are you too cheap to spend $5

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Are you too cheap to spend $5

I was really hoping that someone had found a suitable replacement at a hardware store so I could get my switch back together immediately. This ebay part will take at least a week.

Comment

I have a similar problem. I just purchased my 1979 Suzuki GS750 and the seller said that the starter solenoid was bad. After troubleshooting, I think that the starter switch is missing a piece of copper that fits between the button and the spring. On mine it looks like the spring rests on a solder joint from the Yellow/Green wire on a small ~1/4 inch piece of circuit board. I think the way it works is that the copper "hat" completes the circuit from the spring to the solder joint of the orange/white wire. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and the spring but there was no "copper hat" between the button and spring. Does anybody know where to get this small piece of copper? Or, maybe purchase a push-button switch which would have the same insides? Or, make one out of scrap copper that I can cannibalize from some common electrical thing that I might have lying around and don't realize it? Or, make one from some copper plate of ???? gauge? If anybody has had theirs apart and can give me the detail on this thing I would appreciate it!
              Andy
              1979 GS750

Comment

Pic shows the proper position of the copper ”hat” inside the button.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks! That is not how I expected it to look, but guess that little piece of copper could be made. Also, my plastic button is rectangular. Are all of the original GS starter buttons circular?
                  Andy
                  1979 GS750

Comment

Originally posted by tobaccorancher View Post
                    Thanks! That is not how I expected it to look, but guess that little piece of copper could be made. Also, my plastic button is rectangular. Are all of the original GS starter buttons circular?
                    Andy
                    That, I do not know. I'm sure someone else will.

Good for you for finding this old thread, but you may want to start a new thread, as you responded to a thread that was dead for nearly 12 years.

Now would also be a good time to create a signature that has your bike year and model in it (at least). Go the the top right of any page and click on Setting. You'll figure it out from there.

Welcome to the forum.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I think I fixed my signature, will see. The 10 year old ebay link was not working, but I did a search and found one for a GS1100E, looks like they are all the same, so ordered it. Will post whether it fits. Thanks again for the photo.
                      Andy

1979 GS750

Comment

But if your start button is rectangular, you will be literally putting a round peg in a square hole. Might work, might not.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

The button is square, but the seat for the spring (and copper contact) is circular. I think it will work, will see in a few days when it gets here.
                          1979 GS750

Comment

If that does not pan out for you I should have one. Bought several boxes of Suzuki parts years ago and I think there are at least 3 starter switches in there.

Comment

Just a quick update. The little circular copper starter contact that I bought off the auction site worked fine on my 79 GS750 with the rectangular starter button. The plastic button is square, but the contact point (and spring) are circular, so it fit perfectly. I think this copper contact works on a lot of GS'. The part number that the listing gave is 37313-49000.
                              1979 GS750

Comment

Working...
                              X