Stator Bad when Hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Bad when Hot?

I recently bought a 1978 GS550, fixed her up, and got her running. I've been going out intermittently on her, between chasing down bugs and fixing her some more.
    However, I've run into an issue where I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I've read the Stator Papers, run the electrical tests, and my charging system tests OK. However, the other night when I took her out, after riding for about 45 minutes, she stuttered and died at a red light. I thought it might be fuel, but I had gas in the tank, and when I started her back, my indicator lights were dimmed, and she wouldn't start, so it felt like a charging issue. I was able to kick start her though, and my battery wasn't completely dead (still had lights, still tried to start). I had a friend bring me a new battery, and rode her home. On the way, the bike stopped again, I couldn't get her kickstarted immediately, but after about 30 minutes I was able to kick her over. I retested the charging system the next day (didn't have time that night) and it tested OK again, and the battery didn't drain overnight.

I understand the stators on these old GSs often go bad. Is it possible I have a bad stator that only acts up when my bike overheats? Is there something else that could be causing this? How would I test the system?

A friend who brings a new battery- I'm jealous! 45 minutes is about all you'd get with faulty charging system. Anyway try this link-make sure you have good battery to do the tests. Report back on the results

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It is certainly possible for a stator to fail when hot and test fine when cold.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        A friend who brings a new battery- I'm jealous! 45 minutes is about all you'd get with faulty charging system. Anyway try this link-make sure you have good battery to do the tests. Report back on the results

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
        I'll test this when I get home. I know when I did the tests, I looked at steps 1-5 . I never looked at the voltage after turning the bike off though. I'll report back.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        It is certainly possible for a stator to fail when hot and test fine when cold.
        So is the best thing to do to just replace the stator and pray that I didn't waste my money? Or is there a way to test/look at the stator and tell it's causing the issue when overheating?

Comment

Test it cold, then go for a ride and test it hot. Easy stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X