Carb cleaning Options ?????????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleaning Options ?????????????????

I want to clean my carbs but found that there are many options out there,,, I have used the pinesol mix which is 50% pinesol and 50% water, than I boil the carbs and scrub them down, that work very well and makes the carbs look great but I'm not sure how well it works on the internall passages. So i guess I would like to know what works best on carbs some of the options I heard of is listed below....

1. use vinigar and water

2. Ultrasonic cleaner, use a solvent in the ultrasonic cleaner ((( I have tryed a cheep ultrasonic machine and found that it works worse than my pinesol mix but I heard the more expensive $3000 machines work well but not sure)))

3. old school bad for the enviroment CARB DIP

4. Soak in antifrezee

5. Soak in baking soda

6. Soak in 50% lemon juice and 50% water.....

These are just some of the options I have heard of but if anyone can show some pictures of clean carbs and or techniques they use that would be great.... I would really like to know the secrete formulat that works magic on cleaning carbs....

Everyone will pick number three.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post

Everyone will pick number three.
      Agreed - Carb dip is your friend...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Door number three.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What Tank said.

Lemon juice will cause the bodies to turn dark. I suspect vinegar will too.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Carb dip is the only true way of knowing they are clean.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Heres a few pics and I only use Berrymans..now as for shining up the bodies outsides. I simply run them on a wire wheel on my bench grinder, then take a green dish scrubbie ..rolled up and hel;d witn heomostats..and get into all the cracks and crevices. Notice the side by side shot.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Few more of a finished rack...

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My rule of thumb, whether I'm shopping for oven cleaner, carb cleaner, paint stripper or anything similar, is: If the container isn't plastered with Jolly Rogers, it's probably a waste of money.

Berryman's is no exception.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Jolly Rodgers would be the skull and crossbones warning folks...for those that didnt get the quip.

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
                      ... if anyone can show some pictures of clean carbs and or techniques they use that would be great.
                      Sorry, but pictures will do NOTHING to show that the carbs are clean where it is important.

Yet ANOTHER vote for #3.

By the way, carb dip also leaves them clean enough to look good.

But, sinc you wanted pictures:

Last edited by Steve; 10-14-2012, 11:31 AM.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is my result with the Pine Sol method, bear in mind my carbs were not really dirty, gummed up, full of crap and so on, I guess it all really depends on how your carbs are to start with, on what will be required to use to get them clean..

the before

and the after

This is only after about 6 hours of soaking, and yes I will take them apart even more, and let them soak individually as well for at least a day....

But it sure does look like the Pine Sol kicks A$$

Comment

Steve I think your pictures are a bit deceiving, those are not carbs that were just dipped in what ever solution, for X number of hours, dried off and assembled, were they ?

I have a feeling, those were somewhat massaged a bit, cleaned by scrubbing, some polishing via a polishing wheel, etc......

or did you really get carbs that clean and shiny by just doing a carb dip ?

Comment

I used GUNK carb dip becaused that's what was available. Worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              Steve I think your pictures are a bit deceiving, those are not carbs that were just dipped in what ever solution, for X number of hours, dried off and assembled, were they ?

I have a feeling, those were somewhat massaged a bit, cleaned by scrubbing, some polishing via a polishing wheel, etc......

or did you really get carbs that clean and shiny by just doing a carb dip ?

OK, you caught me.

I did polish the tops and the bowls on a buffing wheel.

Those shots did not show the best part of the bowls, though.

OK, here, for your viewing pleasure, are some before and after pictures on a couple sets of carbs I have worked on this summer.

Sorry about the mis-adjusted macro setting, but here are the BEFORE pictures on VMass' CB450:

And the AFTER pictures:

I might have used my nylon-bristled brush, I don't remember, but this is just a 2-hour dip on some carbs that have been "not in use" for several years.

(continued)

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X