Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS-550ED Crazy Low Compression

Hey all,

Guess my profile got purged a while back, I've been overseas for the Army so haven't had a chance to visit here.

I've been back for 6 months or so, and tuned my GS-550E back up after taking it out of storage. Ran just as good as it did a year ago, if not better! However, about a month after getting it back on the streets, I had a catastrophe. On the highway it overheated and dumped out most of it's oil from a few gaskets. I set to taking the bike down to the jugs, and replacing the gaskets and any hardware that got damaged.

For the most part, I think I dodged a bullet. No metal bits in the crankcase, no scoring of the cylinder walls, etc. I dressed the fella back up, timed it, and gave the carbs a good soak, clean and reassembly and put them back on.

When it was go time, I had crank, but no start. So I set to checking the basics, and the results:

Good spark, nice blue arc from each plug wire (also new plugs and wires)
    Good fuel delivery, fuel in float bowls and fuel reaching cylinders (from the gas smell after pulling plugs)
    Good timing, pulled off cam cover and double checked timing marks, not to mention making sure the engine cycled smoothly when turned by wrench before attempting a start
    Head bolts torque'd to spec.

Then I performed a compression test. About 70-75 on each cylinder.

I should mention the bike sat with it's head off for 2 months, because I went on another short escapade for the Army, so I'm not sure if that had an effect on anything. Here's where you're free to call me an idiot.

I did not change the piston rings, but they seemed within spec, and I did not check valve clearances, because I felt I lacked the knowledge and quite frankly was antsy to get the bike running again. My conclusion is that it was the valves perhaps?

So, friends and wizards of GS bikes, is it a safe bet to say it was just my negligence to check the valves that is causing this conundrum? Or could something else cause such dismal compression ratings? I've heard that some bikes CAN start on 75 or so PSI, so I'm curious why I can't even get a single cycle, just turning on the starter ad infinitum.

Thanks, as always!

GS550ED said.....
    "I did not change the piston rings, but they seemed within spec, and I did not check valve clearances, because I felt I lacked the knowledge and quite frankly was antsy to get the bike running again."

All this work (pull head, check timing,etc. ) and you ignored valve clearances ?????
    If head was off for a while, rings might be dry leading to low compression, but I think even 75 psi should fire; make sure plug wires are on correct spark plugs- this is real easy to mess up in your haste.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How you do the test will affect the outcome. The correct method is:
      Warm engine
      Throttle fully open
      All plugs removed (spins easier)
      Hit starter button until gauge stops incrementing
      Take reading.
      Is this the procedure you followed?

Comment

Adjust the valves.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          GS550ED said.....
          "I did not change the piston rings, but they seemed within spec, and I did not check valve clearances, because I felt I lacked the knowledge and quite frankly was antsy to get the bike running again."

All this work (pull head, check timing,etc. ) and you ignored valve clearances ?????
          If head was off for a while, rings might be dry leading to low compression, but I think even 75 psi should fire; make sure plug wires are on correct spark plugs- this is real easy to mess up in your haste.
          Yeah, stupid stupid stupid, I know. I just checked my shop manual that I got courtesy of Bikecliff's site and I am waaaaaaaay unprepared and unqualified to check the valves. What can I expect to pay to get someone more qualified to do it? Will anyone even do it for a bike this old?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            How you do the test will affect the outcome. The correct method is:
            Warm engine
            Throttle fully open
            All plugs removed (spins easier)
            Hit starter button until gauge stops incrementing
            Take reading.
            Is this the procedure you followed?
            I did all of those except for the warm engine, which I can't do because it won't run. Will the heat affect it by a large margin? I got a steady 71 minimum to 77 maximum on all 4 cylinders.

Also I should mention I checked my plug wires, and we're good in that regard. I took many pics during the teardown.

Comment

No, the throttle opening will affect it more, and is the most often overlooked.
              Checking you own valves is very simple, compared to everything else you are going to have to do to maintain this bike.
              Use this
              And this
              Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS550ED View Post
                Yeah, stupid stupid stupid, I know. I just checked my shop manual that I got courtesy of Bikecliff's site and I am waaaaaaaay unprepared and unqualified to check the valves. What can I expect to pay to get someone more qualified to do it? Will anyone even do it for a bike this old?
                1.Feeler guage - in proper increments
                2. Zip ties
                3. Steve's valve spread sheet
                4. Possibly extra valve cover gasket
                5. Cheap caliper from Harbor Freight

That's all you need for starters. If you need thinner shims, check the Shim Club

75 is a bit low for a cold compression reading.

Make sure you have the plugs wires on nthe correct cylinders
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Put up a location, there is sure to be a few members locally who would be happy to lend a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Put up a location, there is sure to be a few members locally who would be happy to lend a hand.
                    I live in northern AZ, but would gladly drive practically anywhere in Arizona for some help. Money and/or beer would be imparted to guide me through the process.

Before I go to a shop or anything, though, I'll take a look at these guides and take to heart what BigT and Koolaid Kid offered. Got some reading to do. Thanks guys! And if anyone is in the area, it'd be great to meet up so I can make sure I do it all correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      1.Feeler guage - in proper increments
                      2. Zip ties
                      3. Steve's valve spread sheet
                      4. Possibly extra valve cover gasket
                      5. Cheap caliper from Harbor Freight

That's all you need for starters. If you need thinner shims, check the Shim Club

75 is a bit low for a cold compression reading.

Make sure you have the plugs wires on nthe correct cylinders
                      this is a rocker arm engine.

Comment

Doing valve adjustments on a rocker arm engine is much easier IMO. Got a set of feeler gauges? just check them first for clearance.
                        Reassembling the top end without at least breaking the glaze (honing) or replacing the rings is probably a large part of your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                          Putting it in a 1983 750 isn't.
                          huh? typo?

Comment

Wrong thread.....

Comment

Working...
                            X