X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first test drive of my dads 1978 gs 750

heres a link to a video.

whats been done:

airbox cleaned and resealed, new airfilter, new intake orings, carbs rebuilt, new spark plugs and wires, rebuilt brakes, checked valve clearances, new rubbers, new brake pads, and fresh fluid. Vaporized gas tank and fesh fuel, recoverd seat.

what it still needs,

paint, new exhaust, ignition solenoid, new petcock.

hope you like it.

Very nice

I'm sure your dad is proud

New tires?

Solenoid - take it off the bike and carefully removed the screws on top and pulll up just a few mm. Spray some electrical contact cleaner in there, flush it out, let it dry ,reassemble and see if it works

If you can see the contacts and they're burnt, file with an ignition points file prior to spraying

Be careful not to pull up too hard on the top. If that wire breaks, it's a goner
    Last edited by Big T; 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Este moto suena muy feroz! Me gusta mucho.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Very nice

I'm sure your dad is proud

New tires?

Solenoid - take it off the bike and carefully removed the screws on top and pulll up just a few mm. Spray some electrical contact cleaner in there, flush it out, let it dry ,reassemble and see if it works

If you can see the contacts and they're burnt, file with an ignition points file prior to spraying

Be careful not to pull up too hard on the top. If that wire breaks, it's a goner
        this was before the new rubbers!!! jaja

the solenoid is a goner, we cleaned it up real good, it works but needs replacing. I found a cheap one on ebay lets hope it works.

Comment

I have an extra fairing lying around just like that one. Pleather is the term I think they use. Not sure if it is an old Shoei, or Pacifica or what. Be hard to mount a radio in. I would gladly trade mine for a good Vetter. Bike sounds good.

Comment

my dads is a shoei

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
            I have an extra fairing lying around just like that one. Pleather is the term I think they use. Not sure if it is an old Shoei, or Pacifica or what. Be hard to mount a radio in. I would gladly trade mine for a good Vetter. Bike sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
              I've got the exact fairing and matching hardbags, came with my Dad's T500 Titan.

would you sell?

Comment

do you guys know if it ever came from factory with this fairing and matching shoei harbags. My dad bought it back in 82 from the dealer and thats how it came. He took off the bags to have them repainted and to replace the locks and lost them.

I only know of two gs here in my city and the other one is mine. It was crashed many years ago and I bought it to rebuild it and it still stands the same. It also had fairing with matching bags....in fact they were both identical.

Comment

Wonder where you can get a new windshield for it. I'm going to use mine for the 750 I'm working on. Is it a Shoei for sure?

Comment

Drivera84, what would you use to paint the fairing? Is yours the pleather stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                      Drivera84, what would you use to paint the fairing? Is yours the pleather stuff?

I dont know what pleather is...the material it is made of looks like fiber glass. I think regular polyurethane paint works, like in the other body parts.

I am almost certain it is a shoei because it matched with the hardbags my dad lost. It has no markings though. Yours is a little different though. the cutout where the turn signals go is alittle different.

I saw a program in the history channel (where they restore stuff) they replaced a fairing windshield and used regular plexiglass, made a mold out of cardboard and cut the plexiglass, used a little heat to give it the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by drivera84 View Post
                        I saw a program in the history channel (where they restore stuff) they replaced a fairing windshield and used regular plexiglass, made a mold out of cardboard and cut the plexiglass, used a little heat to give it the curve.
                        If that was American Restoration, great show. I think bending plexiglass is over my pay grade. Cool idea though.

Comment

OK, OK, you have my interest. First of all, what to use to cut it? My first idea is use a jig saw with painters tape over the cut so it doesn't melt.

Then, I see the rope for the bend, but what did you use to heat it up? Am I hijacking? I will take this somewhere else if that is best.

Comment

ive cut plexiglass before using a jigsaw....it is not so clean so I sanded it after cutting.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X