Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Oil Leak into Secondary Gear Compartment

Hello all,

Let me begin by thanking this community, even if you don't know it I've using this site (and BassCliff's) as a source of info for my bike. Let me introduce her.

I have a 1980 GS850G (shafty) that has developed what I consider some serious issues. I'm just going to inquire about this particular issue to keep the post short, but rest assured that all the mandatory maintenance has been done (replaced R/R, valve clearance adjustment, SS brake line, petcock replacement, gaskets and a long etc).

My bike started leaking oil one day and I was able to trace said leak to the Mystery Hole. After doing some research on this forum the source was narrowed down to the starter O-ring, the oil pressure switch or the cam shaft tensioner. Well I ordered the O-ring (as the most probable cause) and when I removed the starter I saw that the cavity it seats in was completely dry. following my own intuition I removed the secondary gear oil draining plug and what do I see? engine oil, let me say that again, ENGINE OIL coming out.

So, in short, the engine oil is finding its way to the secondary gear compartment , which is getting overfilled and leaks under pressure. As you're probably thinking to yourselves, THIS IS NOT GOOD.

After all the work I friend and I have put in this bike I'm kind of desperate to be honest. I can see that this is going to require pulling the engine out and I NEED this bike during the week, so here go my questions:

1.- Has anyone run into the same problem and can tell me what seals/gaskets need to be replaced? I don't mind working around the clock one weekend, but what I don't want to do is pull the engine apart, figure out what's wrong and spend a week or two waiting for the parts.

2.- Is there any way this problem can be tackled without removing the engine?

Please forgive me if this is something that has been extensively discussed, I did do my homework and used the search engine, but couldn't find anything concrete.

And yes, at this point my super mega welcome would definitively cheer me up BassCliff....

thanks

Used 850 engines are usually very cheap. I bought one for $2 but that was a fluke. Buy one and throw it in. It would let you take enough time to do the job right on your original engine.

Don't know anything about the leak problem, sorry.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd check to be sure the crankcase vent (on valve cover) is working and not gummed up. I haven't specifically seen this problem on bikes, but it's common on cars. When the vent is clogged the crankcase pressurizes from piston blowby and forces oil through the weakest seal. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Man I have been there!

A bearing in your transmission or seconardy drive is/has likely gone out causing enough wobble in the assembly to cause the seals between the two compartments to fail.

It could be a weekend job, if you knew what you were doing. Your problem here is that you cant afford the time to disassemble, order, wait, and reassemble. It'de be best to figure out what happened, and not rush the repair. Those bearings aren't cheap. To do what your talking about you'd have to buy everything first and no guarantee what you'll actually find in there. I fixed mine but I don't need it for transportation.

As suggested already, find a replacement motor. With a buddy helping you could definately do that in a day or two. Then you can work on the other one as you wish, or throw a 1366 in it

Sucks. Good Luck

Comment

Thank you all for answering! So far I've checked the breather hose and no, it wasn't gummed up... so it comes from down there somewhere.....

I'll keep you guys posted!

Comment

Working...
          X