GS12OOSS Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    I prefer the look of the train headlight sans fairing.
    To my eye these bikes are brutes and it needs a big solid center piece.
    Certainly will be following your progress.
    +1
    Should be a fine hot rod. Nice mods

Comment

I like the idea of fitting a GSXR fairing
      You are apparently using mounting points that resemble those used to mount the std fairing on the 1100 Kat?
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I dig it ....Thats a cool project. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey cool! Glad you liked my suggestion. It's looking really good!

Comment

Yeah, those photos look pretty convincing, ponce it painted, it'll look perfect

Comment

It's lookin' good. I like the look and the concept.

A suggestion, though for the thread: If you copy the IMG code in the links box and paste it here like this:
              [IMG] http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9a7557b4.jpg [/IMG]

without the spaces, it appears like this:
              1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
              sigpic
              My GS550 Build

Comment

Cowl bracketology

This is the bracket I started with which is for a '90 GSXR

Here is the home made bracket that attaches to the yoke.

Here is how the lower bracket attaches to the frame. Used 3/8" pipe stub.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                  It's lookin' good. I like the look and the concept.

A suggestion, though for the thread: If you copy the IMG code in the links box and paste it here like this:
                  [IMG] http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9a7557b4.jpg [/IMG]

without the spaces, it appears like this:
                  Thanks for the photo tip Obi Wan Kenobi

Comment

'93 GSXR gauges

Here is a picture of a '93 GSXR gauge cluster that I am adding to bike in place of the original. Will take a bit of time to get the electrical sorted but making good progress so far.

Also, in celebration of the first day of spring this week we are planning to fire the motor up for the first time since RapidRay stuck his finger in all of its orifices and rub his magic horsepower lube in it.

Comment

Update: Frankenstein/Mock-Up Phase

It is finally all coming together. So far, on this '83 GS1100E, I have grafted a '93 GSXR1100 front suspension wrapped in a '90 GSXR cowl with '93 GSXR gauge cluster, the rear is a Bandit 1200 that is mated with Supersprox sproket, DID chain, and a pair of Works Performance shocks that are slightly longer than the original to handle my 215 lb weight. A new MotoGP Werks exhaust fitted nicely to the bike. I also bought off of ebay the gray '82 GS1100E back plastic piece because it had all the mounting tabs still in tack and the black side panels are also new because the old ones were attached to the frame with small tie wraps.

The only items left is to trim the lower front cowl, fab a brace to hold it in place on the bottom side of it, attach the new/smaller turn signals, and sort out the tach. I plan to ride it for a month or so, to make sure it feels right, stops, turns, and sort out any issues that may pop up.

Then its going to be stripped down and I'll start the powder coat, paint, and final detailing phase.

It has been fired it up and it sounded great. Thanks RapidRay for his efforts.

I forgot my camera so I took these with my cell phone so the quality is not that great.

A horse of many colors

Supersprox to the rescue.

I know, I am copy cat'd from JWhelan's build.

My son holding one of new WP shocks.

Comment

GS1200SS Clone

The mock up is basically done. Can a brother get an amen?

It still needs paint, powdercoating, and/or chrome work to be done. Therefore, I respectfully submit my project to the GSR Court of Public Opinion for your review, ridicule, and comments.

I have thick skin so let it rip.

Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Looks good, I want to see it painted.

Comment

No thick skin required. It looks great.
                            "Gentleman's Express"
                            Have you got another pic from the side, either on the side stand or you sitting on the bike.
                            Just to check out the stance from another angle.
                            Amen, Brother!
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Personally I would have made the lower part of the fairing line-up with the bottom of the fuel tank.

That is the only thing I see. That fairing and twin light looks great, makes me want to do it to the 1000....

Regards,
                              Daryl
                              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

OK I had my reservations of about this build but I bit my lip, after I saw the nice componenets you are using, I looked closer and like the bike but still did not get the fairing

OK so I looked at the ESD and I looked at the GS 1200SS because that is kind of what this is a cross between and after drawing in a lower it just makes visual sense.

So I would
                                • fabricate some lowers (see attached)
                                • get rid of the bar end mirrors and get some modern faring mounts
                                • Fairing mount blinkers
                                • get a corbin seat.
                                Last edited by posplayr; 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X