No announcement yet.

Brake light always on - 1979 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, Cowboyup saw something in your latest pictures that might change things a bit, and this probably confirms it.
    Originally posted by natejelovich View Post
    Just did... and same result. Grounded the wire to the bike, and plugged it into the black (ground) wire in the white connector. Then, plugged another wire into the battery and the other end into the brown (both bulbs dimly lit, but only one filament on the brake light) and then the white (only the license plate light brightly on).
    The license light should not change birghtness, it should only be ON or OFF.

What Cowboyup noticed was some "iffy" wiring. Please disconnect ALL the hwiring at the back of the bike, it's not really all that much. There should be the 3-pin connector to the tail light, a gray wire that feeds the license light and four bullet connectors to the turn signals. Please make sure they are ALL disconnected so there is NO electrical path from the front of the bike to those lights.

Repeat the two wires into the 3-pin connector test. If your license light changes brightness, there is something wrong in that assembly, unless there is some "customized" wiring between the white connector and the bulbs.

If you go to BassCliff's site, (bookmark it, you will be using it a LOT) you can get a very nice copy of a color wiring diagram for an 850. It's not quite the right one for your bike, but it has the easiest-to-follow colored wires. The difference between that '80 diagram and your '79 bike are the igntion (points vs electronic) and the turn signal controller (different style, different wires feeding the controller). Other than those items, that is a very good diagram to follow. Click HERE to get the diagram for your '79.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some wires crossed in there, it will be easiest to just pull them all and start from scratch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Please disconnect ALL the hwiring at the back of the bike, it's not really all that much. There should be the 3-pin connector to the tail light, a gray wire that feeds the license light and four bullet connectors to the turn signals. Please make sure they are ALL disconnected so there is NO electrical path from the front of the bike to those lights.

Repeat the two wires into the 3-pin connector test. If your license light changes brightness, there is something wrong in that assembly, unless there is some "customized" wiring between the white connector and the bulbs.
      OK, did this (disconnected all connections to the tail light) and did the test. Results: no lights came on...

So, I removed all wires from the tail light unit, did the test, and none of the lights (license or tail/brake) came on. Is that normal?

If you go to BassCliff's site, (bookmark it, you will be using it a LOT) you can get a very nice copy of a color wiring diagram for an 850. It's not quite the right one for your bike, but it has the easiest-to-follow colored wires. The difference between that '80 diagram and your '79 bike are the igntion (points vs electronic) and the turn signal controller (different style, different wires feeding the controller). Other than those items, that is a very good diagram to follow. Click HERE to get the diagram for your '79.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some wires crossed in there, it will be easiest to just pull them all and start from scratch.

Yes, BassCliff's site has been awesome! I've checked out the wire diagrams before (a bit like hieroglyphs to me before all of this but with your help I think I'm understand it more.). Looking at the diagram and my bike, everything looks correct...

Gray wire: connects to license light
      White wire: connects to tail/brake light
      Brown wire: connects to tail/brake light

Anything I'm missing?

Comment

OK, did this (disconnected all connections to the tail light) and did the test. Results: no lights came on...

So, I removed all wires from the tail light unit, did the test, and none of the lights (license or tail/brake) came on. Is that normal?
        OK, you disconnected all the connections, then used your two test wires to connect the battery to the light, and got nothing?

The only two reasons I can see for that happening would be 1) a dead battery and 2) your tail light assembly is messed up. Since you have seen the lights come on rather recently, I don't think it's #2.

I've checked out the wire diagrams before (a bit like hieroglyphs to me before all of this but with your help I think I'm understand it more.).
        Yes, it looks like a big tangled mess of spaghetti, but it's not all that hard. The only wires you need to be concerned about at this time are the black, white and brown wires that go to the tail light assembly. Yeah, the gray one to the license light is there, too, but it has its own connector. If you look in the middle of the right side of the diagram, you will see the light and the wires. The black bar that goes across the three wires is your white connector, so you can stop looking there and only worry about what is to the right of that connector.

Looking at the diagram and my bike, everything looks correct...

Gray wire: connects to license light
        White wire: connects to tail/brake light
        Brown wire: connects to tail/brake light

Anything I'm missing?
        Just running the test wires from the (charged) battery to those wires that are in your fingers. At the first of your last post, you said that you got nothing, I find that very strange.

Oh, while the white and brown wires do go to the tail/brake light, you need to know that the brown one is specifically for the tail light and the white one is for the brake light.

With ALL the wires disconnected from the bike and your test wires connected to the black and brown wires, your license light should not light, but the tail light should.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just running the test wires from the (charged) battery to those wires that are in your fingers. At the first of your last post, you said that you got nothing, I find that very strange.

Oh, while the white and brown wires do go to the tail/brake light, you need to know that the brown one is specifically for the tail light and the white one is for the brake light.

With ALL the wires disconnected from the bike and your test wires connected to the black and brown wires, your license light should not light, but the tail light should.

OK, now I am really confused... I retried the test and it worked. I unplugged all of the wires (including license plate light) and re-hooked up the two wire test. Touched the brown, tail light came on. Touched the white, brake light came on (brightly).

Before I did that, I checked to make sure the bike would engage (and it did) to ensure the battery was charged. I also removed the bulb and put it back in. I also made sure the ground on the chassis was on well.

I don't know what changed exactly, but when I did the test, it worked (meaning, the lights came on as they were supposed to). I tested quite a few times to make sure and it seems like it's fine...

But, I plugged the white connector in to the other side again, tested the brake switches, and still nothing... So, after all of that, back to square one.

Next test?

Comment

If you plugged the connector back in then something is wrong there. Start peeling off the tape from both sides and check your wiring.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              If you plugged the connector back in then something is wrong there. Start peeling off the tape from both sides and check your wiring.
              Could the problem be anywhere else or do you think it's just at the connector?

Comment

You need to pull tape back from both sides (taillight and harness) and check for yourself. Did you take a power test light and hold it against the harness end of your connector to check for power on the brown and white wires? If so, and you got power there, then it's on the taillight side.

BTW, take a picture of that connector plugged in please. Do the wires line up properly?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OK, now I am really confused... I retried the test and it worked. I unplugged all of the wires (including license plate light) and re-hooked up the two wire test. Touched the brown, tail light came on. Touched the white, brake light came on (brightly).
                  Sounds GREAT!!

That tells you that the wiring, sockets and bulbs are all in good shape.

I don't know what changed exactly, but when I did the test, it worked (meaning, the lights came on as they were supposed to). I tested quite a few times to make sure and it seems like it's fine...
                  What changed is that you eliminated a BUNCH of "iffy" wiring connections and started from scratch with just ONE connection. That one happens to test "OK".

But, I plugged the white connector in to the other side again, tested the brake switches, and still nothing... So, after all of that, back to square one.

Next test?
                  Do you remember what I said back in post #19?
                  Testing in a systematic way will eliminate variables as you go. ... Once we see the results of those tests, we will move on to the next one.
                  Now that you know that the lights are working, we can work on what is feeding the lights.

Do you have a test light or a voltmeter? Either will work, but a test light is easier and quicker. Clip the ground wire for the test light to the battery negative or a good chassis ground. Put the point of the probe in the white connector's brown wire. Turn the ignition key ON, you should have power. If not, check your other lights to see if they are working. If they are, your fuse is OK, so the problem will be between the ignition key and the tail light.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

By this time I would have rewired the connections. I would have got out my test lite and match the wires to its corresponding lite function. Just like you would for a trailer connection.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Very true, mrbill, but not everybody is as savvy about taming all the mysterious smoke that travels through those wires.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Very true, mrbill, but not everybody is as savvy about taming all the mysterious smoke that travels through those wires.

Guess I'm gifted But when it comes to painting my bike I'm I could use a volunteer, I have all the stuff ready lol.
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

So, I bought a volt circuit tester last night (http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html) and hoping to get some time to test the connectors. I don't even have all the right tools!!

Hopefully I can locate the problem...

Comment

So, I bought a volt circuit tester last night (http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html) and hoping to get some time to test the connectors. I don't even have all the right tools!!

Hopefully I can locate the problem...
                            Now you be cooking....
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

That is a great tool.

There are times that you will need a voltmeter, too, but in this case, you really only need to know if you have power or not, so a light coming ON (or not) is really much quicker and easier. I probably use my test light much more often than my meter.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Do you have a test light or a voltmeter? Either will work, but a test light is easier and quicker. Clip the ground wire for the test light to the battery negative or a good chassis ground. Put the point of the probe in the white connector's brown wire. Turn the ignition key ON, you should have power. If not, check your other lights to see if they are working. If they are, your fuse is OK, so the problem will be between the ignition key and the tail light.

Ok... so tested the connector coming from the bike (not the tail light) and, not too surprisingly I guess, the tail light lit the test light up, and the brake (white) did not...

Just for kicks, I also tested the turn signal bullet connectors, and no power there:

Not sure if that means anything in this same situation or not, or if it's completely separate. Similar to the brake light though, it was working not too long ago, and, from no conceivable changes from me, no longer works...

I also tested the front brake connector at the front (near the headlight) and rear connectors and no power there either.

So... does this mean the next thing is just pulling the tape from the wires and re-wiring??

Comment

Working...
                                X