No announcement yet.

Brake light always on - 1979 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the next thing is to check the source.

Use your new handy-dandy test light to check the fuses. Looking at a wiring diagram for your bike, it appears that there are four fuses in the block. One will have power even when the key is OFF, that is your MAIN fuse. The one next to it will be the LIGHTS fuse, then the SIGNALS fuse, then the IGNITION fuse. Turn the key ON, check both sides of each fuse to make sure there is power.

With your brake light not working and your turn signals not working, there is a possibility that your horn does not work, either, and all of them are powered by the SIGNALS fuse.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      No, the next thing is to check the source.

Use your new handy-dandy test light to check the fuses. Looking at a wiring diagram for your bike, it appears that there are four fuses in the block. One will have power even when the key is OFF, that is your MAIN fuse. The one next to it will be the LIGHTS fuse, then the SIGNALS fuse, then the IGNITION fuse. Turn the key ON, check both sides of each fuse to make sure there is power.

With your brake light not working and your turn signals not working, there is a possibility that your horn does not work, either, and all of them are powered by the SIGNALS fuse.

Yes, horn hasn't worked for quite some time actually...

But, I just tested the fuses and all of them lit up, both sides, except for the third one down labeled signal... only one side lit up, the other did not.

So, replace the fuse and see if we're good??

Comment

Originally posted by natejelovich View Post
        Yes, horn hasn't worked for quite some time actually...

But, I just tested the fuses and all of them lit up, both sides, except for the third one down labeled signal... only one side lit up, the other did not.

So, replace the fuse and see if we're good??
        Sounds good to me.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Since your bike is a 79, chances are the fuse block is original? I had to install a new one on my bike about mmmm 12 years ago. 3 of the fuse connections had gotten so loose they would not make contact at times when riding. You can imagine the problems that caused. Found it by using that handy dandy lite circuit tester.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Since your bike is a 79, chances are the fuse block is original? I had to install a new one on my bike about mmmm 12 years ago. 3 of the fuse connections had gotten so loose they would not make contact at times when riding. You can imagine the problems that caused. Found it by using that handy dandy lite circuit tester.
            Good to know! I think it is original. The clips seem to be in good shape (holding the fuses very tightly) but will check the back as well if the fuse replacement doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks Steve, Cowyboyup, and Mr. Bill for all your help!! Will keep you posted on how the fuse replacement goes.

Comment

Well, well...

After all your guys' help, I can say that changing out the fuse fixed the problem!

THANK YOU!!

So, for now, all is good and I think it's ready to ride again (had to fix the front brakes - whole other issue in another thread) and then this, so it's been out of commission for awhile.

Now I just gotta wait for the rain to quit!

Thanks again Steve and everyone else

Comment

All it usually takes is the proper tools and a systematic approach.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

It was our pleasure
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X