carb overflow mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb overflow mystery

I have been attempting to diagnose a carb overflow issue I encountered upon initial start up after a complete motor rebuild.

While the carbs are on the bike, at least two of the bowls are overflowing.

I took the petcock and carb bank of the bike, and ran tests to check for leaks or overflow. I fabricated a temporary tank bottle and hose to mimic the gas tank. I filled it with water, and check for function of the vacuum petcock on both reserve and on settings. The petcock doesnt leak and does let fuel through with vacuum as it should.

I used the same bottle/hose rig hooked up to the fuel line to the carb bank to simulate a constant source of gas as would exist with a leaking petcock (even though mine doesnt leak when tested off the bike). All four of the float needles appear to be seating correctly and preventing bowl overflow during the test. The needles and needle seats all look flawless and clean as well. Float heights are set to 25mm

The problem is, the last two times I have reinstalled the petcock and carbs to run the bike, I have bowls overflowing. Is there some variable present when the carbs are on the bike, being choked or throttled while attempt to start the motor, that would cause overflow when there is no overflow in isolated (off bike) testing?

I know I need to set pilot air and fuel screws. But I have started with fuel screw 1 turn out and air screw 2 turns out. I have pods and cut off drags. Advice?

Also, how far up should I set the throttle stop scerw on my vm26ss round slide carbs? Does the slide need to be slightly open aka slightly throttled to start up? FYI the starting issues I have may be due to 30 degree F temps.

I am stupified here, please help with any or all issues. Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM.

Only way I can see it flooding is this, needles aren't working or the petcock is messed up. I would pick the petcock. Check and make sure it isn't set on prime. If it is, it has a continuous flow of gas to the bowls. In most cases it will over come the needles causing the over flow. which two bowls are over flowing? Would be helpful to know what bike you are working on as well.

Do you have your carbs at the same angle they would be on the bike when you tested them?
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Have you checked the floats with the bowls in place and the carbs off the bike? I had an overflow problem when the floats were snagging on the bowl gasket, and that issue would not show up until I tested the carbs with the bowls and gaskets in place.

Also are the washers for the needle seats working properly? Even if the needles seat well, if fuel drips past that washer, it will flood the bowls.

Finally, check your oil for gas and change it and the filter before starting the bike again if there is any chance of fuel entering the crankcase.

Comment

Water will react different than gas ! What carbs ? The needles need to be changed or floats set too high, or float valve O rings are bad (80 up BS carbs)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Only way I can see it flooding is this, needles aren't working or the petcock is messed up. I would pick the petcock. Check and make sure it isn't set on prime. If it is, it has a continuous flow of gas to the bowls. In most cases it will over come the needles causing the over flow. which two bowls are over flowing? Would be helpful to know what bike you are working on as well.

Do you have your carbs at the same angle they would be on the bike when you tested them?
          The bike is a 79 gs1000L. Carbs are vm26ss. the petcock has no prime setting, only on and reserve. The petcock has been tested and is functioning. I agree a constant flow of gas will likely get past even properly seating needles. There is no constant flow, though (at least not when testing off the bike)

During the test, just to be thorough, I tilted the carbs at every angle. No leaks at any angle.

The carbs that have leaked, although at different times, are #1 and #4.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Water will react different than gas ! What carbs ? The needles need to be changed or floats set too high, or float valve O rings are bad (80 up BS carbs)

The needles and float valves appear flawless. I have cleaned and inspected both thoroughly. I will recheck the o-rings. Finally something to check that I havent checked twice. Thanks!

Obviously water has different qualities than gas. Are you saying the different densities (leading to different bouyancy) are throwing off the float heights during my test vs in situ on the bike? Please elaborate on "react differently".

Carbs are vm26ss

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              Have you checked the floats with the bowls in place and the carbs off the bike? I had an overflow problem when the floats were snagging on the bowl gasket, and that issue would not show up until I tested the carbs with the bowls and gaskets in place.
              I tested the carbs as a complete unit as they would be with on the bike. I also checked float height with the bowls off.

Can you clarify what you mean by testing the carbs with the bowls and gaskets in place. Do you mean simply fully assembled carbs or actually mounted on the motor? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wompin View Post
                I fabricated a temporary tank bottle and hose to mimic the gas tank.
                How high is the bottle above the carbs when you do this test? You want to have the fuel level in the bottle about the same height above the carbs as it would be on the bike.

IFloat heights are set to 25mm.
                Any particular reason you set them there? I believe the specs call for 24mm.

I know I need to set pilot air and fuel screws. But I have started with fuel screw 1 turn out and air screw 2 turns out. I have pods and cut off drags. Advice?
                Reasonable enough starting point for your setup.

Also, how far up should I set the throttle stop scerw on my vm26ss round slide carbs? Does the slide need to be slightly open aka slightly throttled to start up? FYI the starting issues I have may be due to 30 degree F temps.
                Can't give you any real specifics here, but loosen the idle screw until you see clearance, then turn it in until the screw touches the linkage and give it about one more turn of the screw.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  How high is the bottle above the carbs when you do this test? You want to have the fuel level in the bottle about the same height above the carbs as it would be on the bike...

...Any particular reason you set them there? I believe the specs call for 24mm.
                  Test Bottle height:
                  The bottle is more or less one foot above the carbs. If anything, this height is greater than that of the mounted tank. In theory, that would mean even more hydrostatic pressure, thus more chance of needle seat failure. Even with the additional height, there is no overflow.

I did notice something odd last night when I repeated the test, though. After I did the test, I drained the bowls, but only carbs 1 and 4 had fluid. The others were empty.

Talk about gremlins, come on here!

Float Height:
                  The source I used (haynes and suzuki manual) calls for floats set to 23-25mm. I suppose I am more comfortable with 25mm since that would theoretically seat the needle sooner, and provide further insurance against overflow.

Comment

Have you checked the vent on your gas tank?
                    Just moving the fuel tank will cause it to create pressure within the tank. Enough to overpower needles and seats.

Also there is more head pressure with a full or even a half full gas tank then with a small remote fuel tank.

Timothy

Comment

I tested the carbs as a complete unit as they would be with on the bike. I also checked float height with the bowls off.

Can you clarify what you mean by testing the carbs with the bowls and gaskets in place. Do you mean simply fully assembled carbs or actually mounted on the motor? Thanks
                      You should try two tests on carbs that overflow. Both happen off the bike.

First test the needles with the rack assembled and the bowls off. Gently lift the floats to make sure the fuel stops flowing when the needles seat. If fuel dribbles out past the washer or the seated needle valve, well, you know what to do.

Then put the gaskets in place and see if the floats still move without snagging. If so, do the next test after you close up the carbs by putting the bowls on. Check the float height with the bowl drain tube (Z1 has this for about $7) and see where the fuel level sits in comparison to the bowl edge.

Comment

23 to 25 MM is the service manual spec as well. So I always go in between at 24 and havent ever had a problem. Fuel obviously isnt getting shut off..so if the float ht is at 25 then that wouldnt be it. Back track and check each float needle..theres a little spring loaded tit on them..are they all free and working right? Are there gaskets on all the float seats themselves?? Next, put the carbs as they would be on the bike and work the floats and observe the float needles arent sticking. Next..install the gaskets without the bowls on and move he floats past the gasket edges and be sure none are hitting the gasket material. Lastly..you check both floats in each bowl to be sure they are both at the same hgt. If all checks out ok, then i dont see any reason for them to not shut off the fuel flow properly.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The source I used (haynes and suzuki manual) calls for floats set to 23-25mm. I suppose I am more comfortable with 25mm since that would theoretically seat the needle sooner, and provide further insurance against overflow.
                          True, they will seat sooner, but that also lowers the fuel height in the bowl, making EVERY circuit in the carb (except starting) run just a little bit leaner.

One silly millimeter doesn't sound like much, but it will definitely make a difference. It might run just lean enough that you might want to go one size larger on the jets, and in the process of changing the jets, you will re-check the float height, possibly adjust it a bit, then wonder why you are now running so RICH.

Yeah, while the actual range is 23-25mm, I believe it's actually written as "24.0mm +/- 1.0mm". Because of that, I prefer to go to the middle, as much as possible.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good point Steve. I did already jet up three sizes on the main and one on the pilot, plus one groove up on the needle, just as preliminary compensation for the pods and open pipes.

Wouldnt the circuits take up the same amount of fuel regardless of the gas level as long as their intake openings are submerged? Maybe at 25mm they are on the brink of no longer being submerged.

Anyway we probably beat this point to death, Ill shoot for 24mm just for good karma.

Chuck, Mister Cinders, demon:

Ill be running all of your suggested tests tonight. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can see something new. Demon, what am I looking for when I check the gas cap vent? clogged vent?
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

One other possibility is that the overflow tubes are partially broken at the base, allowing the fuel to flow out

Try swapping the bowls around and see what happens
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X