No announcement yet.

carb overflow mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever figure out the culprit? A bad valve and valve seat perhaps? I'm having the same issue, just rebuilt all carbs with new o-rings, valves and seats seamed fine. I set the float height properly, but it still is leaking.

I have a hope that it is the tank vent. I'll be checking that tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebeer View Post
      Did you ever figure out the culprit? A bad valve and valve seat perhaps? I'm having the same issue, just rebuilt all carbs with new o-rings, valves and seats seamed fine. I set the float height properly, but it still is leaking.

I have a hope that it is the tank vent. I'll be checking that tonight.
      I had my carbs off just the other day for probably the fourth time. I set them up with a temp fuel tank. They held back fuel but the level in the clear fuel line would drop about 1" per hour. There was no accumulation of fuel on the floor like there was during earlier trials, though. I cleaned and polished the needles and seats, but got same result. I have concluded that the 1"/hr drop must have been due to evaporation of fuel.

I did buy new needle/seat valves all around just to be sure. No leaks. Im pretty sure the issue all along has been bits of rust and/or debris getting in between the needle and seat. Most likely my other needles/seats are fine. They show no signs of wear, anyways.

Comment

Have you check for a gas smell in your oil yet?
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website:

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X