Gofast Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning/Rebuilding Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gofast Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning/Rebuilding Service

Long title - great service. The board's own nastyjones (AKA Paul Jones) set me up with a set of rebuilt GS1150 BS36 Mikunis. Carbs were disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned, painted and baked, reassembled with new O-rings and shipped. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Last edited by 6pkrunner; 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM.
    1983 GS1100E

I can do that with a 20.00 can of Berrymans...so what!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

they look like they were painted after assembled, all the screws and brackets are all sprayed black as well
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Adrian...The real test is to take a bowl and set it in some gas overnight to simulate an overflow or leaking bowl gasket. This will tell the story if the paint is gonna slough off in the event that an accidental spill happens. I am sure he paid VERY WELL for that work. I am also confident that the right paint was used. I mention this not as a snipe, but sometimes gas will eat paints unless they are specifically for such an application. There are VERY FEW rattle can paints that hold up very well or very long on carbs.

Granted that I dont know what they were painted with, but if I sent stuff out, the first thing I would do is subject it to some tests and if the stuff curddled or in anyway failed the request for a refund would be forth comming.

Ive been down that road too many times fixing what others had done and I can tell you the customer of "MR.Xs carb shop" arent happy campers. I wouldnt paint any carbs with anything other than an epoxy based paint thats formulated and states that it is FUEL RESISTANT...just sayin.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did anyone notice the damage to the slides on 2 and 4??? Looks like screwdriver pry marks!!!!!!

EDIt...And dont they look like they could have used a green scotchbrite to actually clean them up a little better before reassembly? They should be uniformly clean looking and not two toned stained looking like they are now.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

OP...Take a look at the screws in the butterflies and see if theres any evidence of loctite on them. To me and my engines, , its a good idea to add a drop at reassembly ( if he even took them down at all ). If youve ever taken apart virgin ones, youll notice the screw ends are kinda mushroomed from the factory. This is to keep keep them from comming loose and getting sucked into the engine. If you remove butterfly screws its good advice to be sure they are loctited. Some Honda carbs have little dog bone shaped brass lockingbtabs that go in between the screws and butterflies, then you bend up a tab against the head like you do on say a brake caliper bolt. (Yes some cvarbs have little hex head screws and not phillips screws)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Adrian...The real test is to take a bowl and set it in some gas overnight to simulate an overflow or leaking bowl gasket. This will tell the story if the paint is gonna slough off in the event that an accidental spill happens. I am sure he paid VERY WELL for that work. I am also confident that the right paint was used. I mention this not as a snipe, but sometimes gas will eat paints unless they are specifically for such an application. There are VERY FEW rattle can paints that hold up very well or very long on carbs.

Granted that I dont know what they were painted with, but if I sent stuff out, the first thing I would do is subject it to some tests and if the stuff curddled or in anyway failed the request for a refund would be forth comming.

Ive been down that road too many times fixing what others had done and I can tell you the customer of "MR.Xs carb shop" arent happy campers. I wouldnt paint any carbs with anything other than an epoxy based paint thats formulated and states that it is FUEL RESISTANT...just sayin.
              i wasn't referring to WHAT paint has been used i merely stated that all the screws, brackets, even the idle screw adjuster has all been sprayed black.
              so did he individually paint all the screws on the bowls and carb tops before or after full assembly?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

I would say AFTER...and to add a more "classy touch" I think I would have painted the bodies and mounting brackets only. Polished up the screws and left at least some kind of break up and contrast the the entire thing. Return spring, idle knobs, cable mountings, and all that shouldnt have been painted..of course unless this is what the customer specified. In my opinion that fully blacked out batman crap looks cheap and tacky. But thats just my honest opinion of them. If the dude likes them then kudos to him.

Comment

thats what i like and would have done. black bodies and bowls. polished tops and brackets and bits and finished off with nice shiney s/s allen bolts to hold em all together
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

First time the thottle is opened or the choke is pulled all that paint is gonna crack as the springs flex..and the choke rod is instantly scratched up! Not a lot of forethought and planning in that work in my opinion. Putting the cables on is gonna scratch up the mounts, adjusting the ilde scratches the stem...just an all around no win by doing all that just so the regular functioning of the components will tear it up. He will put them on the bike and soon see what we mean Adrian!!

Comment

Hey Adrian...wanna make a wager onn how hard the chokes will workm once that paint gets dragged into the plate? I am sitting here laughing my azz off at how much this is gonna clog chit up!! Hes not gonna be such a happy camper when he reads all this ands sees it happening right in front of his eyes as he actuates the choke and throttle. So whats the lesson learned her folks..either think it well thru BEFORE doing something or rely on the old addgae of "less is more".

Comment

Even painted right over the rubber vent connector tubes!!! LMAO.

Comment

Wow.....is this what the GSR has become? Personal attacks on my integrity? I'm contacting the Admin. Frank.
                          Just to clear things up. Screws were painted separately, all linkage will function like it should, paint is specifically chosen for its gas resistant properties, customer chose the colors, vent connector hoses were not painted over.
                          What a sad day for the GSR with members like Hahn.
                          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

personal attacks on your integrity were not intended. i was just pointing out observations and wondering HOW you painted them like that, not the kind of paint you used.
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              they look like they were painted after assembled, all the screws and brackets are all sprayed black as well
                              That's a factory rebuild. I can only speak to the Canadian 1150EF's, but the carbs came with EVERYTHING black except the spring around the fuel line.

I didn't think you were attacking his integrity or ability.

Chuck is rebuilding and painting carbs for $20. That is going to get some of my business. I have boxes of them that need to be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X