1100E / 1100ES Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E / 1100ES Question

I can't get an example of the two together at the same time,but can anyone tell me what all is involved in putting the ''ES'' front fairing / headlight.... on my 82 1100E? I can get an ES Fairing / mount.. at a decent price but is that all? Is there anything else i need to know? Anyone else done this conversion?
    Thanks BB

You need an 83 ED frame for the welded on frame mounts

Comment

Not sure if the "E" gauges will work either..

Comment

Thanks for the replys,still confused,whats the difference in the 1100e and ed? I looked at Posplayer's ''ED'' and other than the obvious gsxr mods,my bike looks just like that (no where near that nice)(red too)? Suzuki actually built a different frame for the ''ES''? I bought s new maroon 83 750E back in the day because my dealer didn't have an ''es'' then i found one (a white / red) about 6 months later,so they also had a different frame? Anyway, i appreciate the info that probably saved me a bunch of money.
        BB

Comment

Originally posted by BIKER BILL View Post
          Thanks for the replys,still confused,whats the difference in the 1100e and ed? I looked at Posplayer's ''ED'' and other than the obvious gsxr mods,my bike looks just like that (no where near that nice)(red too)? Suzuki actually built a different frame for the ''ES''? I bought s new maroon 83 750E back in the day because my dealer didn't have an ''es'' then i found one (a white / red) about 6 months later,so they also had a different frame? Anyway, i appreciate the info that probably saved me a bunch of money.
          BB
          Bill,

The 'D' in 'ED' refers to the 1983 model year. The 'ES' is actually an 'ESD' The 1982 model was an 'EZ' but there was no 'ESZ' as the so-called 'ES' was a 1983 only model. So Jim is saying you need a 1983 frame as both the 'ED' and 'ESD' had the fairing mount lugs. I hope this helps.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

That helps a ton,thank you for the info. Glad i asked before i spent money on those parts that would have been useless.
            BB

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
              Bill,

The 'D' in 'ED' refers to the 1983 model year. The 'ES' is actually an 'ESD' The 1982 model was an 'EZ' but there was no 'ESZ' as the so-called 'ES' was a 1983 only model. So Jim is saying you need a 1983 frame as both the 'ED' and 'ESD' had the fairing mount lugs. I hope this helps.

Joe
              That's right, sorry for being so terse

Comment

BB
                You will notice some other differences between the EZ and ED frames. The foot pegs are different and they do not swap. The welded mounts are completely different.

Comment

That helps a ton,thank you for the info. Glad i asked before i spent money on those parts that would have been useless.
                  BB
                  I have an 83 ED and might be interested in those parts. Could you provide a link or number for contacting the seller?
                  1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD!
                  1990 RM250L since 1989.
                  1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                  1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                  2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                  1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                  2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                  2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                  2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                  Green is just another color.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    That's right, sorry for being so terse
                    Terse? Not at all. Your answer was perfectly good if the person understood the model designation scheme. I just added a bit for clarity. No offense intended...

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Sent you a PM Black and Blue

Comment

Sent you a PM Black and Blue
                        I got it and thanks. Looked at the item but am going to pass on it.
                        1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD!
                        1990 RM250L since 1989.
                        1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                        1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                        2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                        1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                        2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                        2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                        2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                        Green is just another color.

Comment

If you really wanted to, I would think that the frame downtube fairing mount bosses wouldn't be too difficult to fabricated and weld on to an EZ frame. Of course you would need someone's ED frame to measure and copy the exact size and location of the bosses, but I'm sure it could be done if you really wanted that fairing...

Comment

I agree on fabbing/welding. I may do it to my 82EZ. I did a similar type mod by fabbing/welding oil cooler mts on a cb750F to mt an oil cooler from a 900F. It also involved a 900 oil pump, oil pick up, oil pan, oc brackets, etc. Piece of cake.
                            Not that I need an oc on my 750 up here in the north, I just wanted to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Homie View Post
                              If you really wanted to, I would think that the frame downtube fairing mount bosses wouldn't be too difficult to fabricated and weld on to an EZ frame. Of course you would need someone's ED frame to measure and copy the exact size and location of the bosses, but I'm sure it could be done if you really wanted that fairing...
                              +1, it can be done & in fact, has been done, by one of our European members.
                              None of the mods required are a huge deal, but if you want the bike to look somewhat authentic (to a trained eye, at least), a considerable amount of work is needed....including painting the EZ engine black, procuring a set of '83E wheels etc. One downside (IMO), would be losing the large '82/'83E headlight, though on a positive note, you'd have the option of painting your bike with one of the sharpest schemes to grace a GS, the Euro-spec red/black ES.

'82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X